where do you live and how do you like it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:21 AM
where do you live and how do you like it?

my wife and i are started to consider our next move, and although it won't be for about a year and a half we are trying to narrow our search. just wondering where everyone lives and how they like it. how are the arts, traffic, weather, etc. ? although we don't plan on moving out of the us, i'm still interested to here where the international people are and how they like their city.

thanks

Old 07-25-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:21 AM
i live in memphis and it's all right. rent's not too bad here, it's about $1 per sq. foot. owning isn't too bad here either as long as you buy in the city. out in the suburbs it's just nasty, ugly sprawl. no land, traffic is horrible, people are horrible, etc.

arts is all right, there is of course beale street and tons of other bars/clubs across town where you can see local acts. we've got plenty of arenas and stadiums here but they're focusing all their attention on a huge stadium and wanting to close most of the smaller stuff which means only the huge poppy acts like justin timberlake and aerosmith come here. we also have lots of plays, some bigger broadway stuff and off-broadway.

traffic is all right, just stay away from the suburbs: i can virtually guarantee you'll be in at least one accident out there. we have two interstates here (I-55 and I-40) as well as I-240 which runs throughout most of memphis. it's always utter gridlock on I-240 even if it's not rush hour and there's always 2-3 accidents on there every evening so i avoid it. the other two still get you to where you wanna go.

weather is all right, the winters are cold but not too bad, it rarely snows except for maybe an inch or two in january. the summers are hot (but the same as sc i'd imagine), but this summer has been strangely mild. it's 76 degrees here right now, waaaaay below normal. usually it's about 95 all day this time of year! odd. it usually rains a lot in the summer, about once or twice a week. so there's no worries of droughts or anything.

i'd recommend to anyone wanting to live here to choose downtown, since it's where all the fun stuff is. plus, all three interstates run all along here so no matter where you are downtown, there's probably an exit nearby so you can easily run off somewhere else in town or something. midtown's all right too, but it's harder to get around unless you want to drive everywhere. downtown there's three trolley lines and the buses. the trolleys all pretty much stop in downtown and i hardly see buses in midtown. and as for the suburbs, forget public transportation. the suburbanites have made it clear that it's only for tourists and jobless bums so you need a car there.

by the time you'd be moving downtown would be even better than it already is, they're really trying to revitalize it and make it a place everyone wants to live or at least visit.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:21 PM
city?
I live about 100 kilometres south of the place I consider to be heaven on earth and my spiritual home...so that's not too bad in the scheme of things. About as close to heaven as you have the right to expect to be.
My neighbours ( that's 1km away in Australian talk) chose where they live by studying weather maps( they had lived in Germany and South America previously, they are originally from Boston and Philly). They studied maps and chose the place they thought had the perfect climate( that was pre-global warming days) So that's quite a scientific for my little patch.
It is rural where I live, so the arts are very small scale, the roads are bad ( my son hit a kangaroo driving home from here last night!), services are poor ( my phone line is strung from tree to tree...the bush telegraph.., we don't have broadband access or cellphones or pizza delivery or.........*insert long list**)
but I am happy.
Good luck to you and your family jphelmet, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Perth - good weather, good food, boring as bat shit
Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:21 AM
I live in the bay area in California. I love it But its expensive..
Old 07-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Long Beach, CA
Good weather most of the time, very gay friendly, home of the Toyota Grand Prix and the Queen Mary. Lots of new development going at the the Old Pike area, lots of restaurants, close to decent beaches and Disneyland. 25 miles southwest of the BAW family. Rents are a little expensive in the neighborhoods that are named like Belmont Shore, Bixby Knolls, California Heights, Virginia Country Club Area, Carroll Park, etc. But I love it because I can be me here. I don't know that I would live anywhere else, except maybe the Bay Area.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:21 AM
jp,
actually i don't live too far from you - Wilmington NC. it's humid as a damn rain forest here for most of the summer, the migration of northerners has helped drive up the cost of housing and congested our already overburdened streets, but the beaches here are beautiful, the people are friendly, the seafood is excellent, and I'll never run out of Diet Sun-Drop so long as I stay here! With all the daily aggravations, though, I really cannot fathom living anywhere else (I even tried for a couple of years in KY, but came running home as fast as I could!). I'm no more than 20 minutes from any of the several local beaches, I can get to the Piedmont area in 2 hours, and I can be in the mountains within 6 hours.....I can't personally imagine a better situation to find myself in.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I drove through Belgium tonight. And saw a sign for Paris.

Sad to say...Both Belgium and Paris (near where I live) probably don't even have an elevator or escalator in town!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:12 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Where are you Zoney? Judging by your time zone your on the American continent somewhere.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:44 AM   #10
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Oakland, CA (bay area). Cost of living is quite expensive. Tons of people crowded into a relatively small geographic area. Traffic is downright horrendous quite often.

That said, I love it. It's such a multi-cultural and open-minded place, with a vibrant arts community, great city life, absolutely beautiful nature just a short drive from anywhere, pretty nice Mediterranean-style weather year round (never gets really cold or really hot), only a short (relatively) 4 hour drive from snow, and I never tire of watching the sunset over the Golden Gate.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:04 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Where are you Zoney? Judging by your time zone your on the American continent somewhere.
North America, indeed, my new favorite aussie (if I said favorite, I may have offended A. Harlem or Salome's Secretary....and I don't want to do that!)

I am doing my best to become a North American transient right now!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:33 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Grand Rapids, Michigan. I like the city fine, but I HATEHATEHATE the weather (the Lakes screw everything up). I'm moving south where it's hot and humid 24/7/365! Some people like our weather b/c we get snow and heat, a bit of everything. In the winter there's like 3 feet of snow and in the summer it's 90 degrees. I don't care to see snow every again.

That said, this is a nice place to live. It's not huge like Chicago or Detroit (both 3 hrs away), but I like being in a "city" with skyscrapers, highways, shopping malls, etc. The population is 200,000. There's museums (kids, museum, a regular one, an art one, and the Gerald Ford one which is historical stuff), malls, a zoo, a mini-rain forest, an international airport, an arena, tons of theaters (movies, plays, dance, improv), a symphony, festivals downtown, etc. Downtown is pretty cool b/c we have a river through it and tons of really old, cool historical buildings. There's also the Heritage Hill neighborhood where all the renovated old houses are (some Frank Lloyd Wright ones). It used to be run-down, but the landlords fixed it all up and now it's the place to retire or where all the preppy young couples/artsy people live. Before I move away, I'm going to photograph all my favorite houses. The traffic I don't really know about since I've never had a car and walk/bike everywhere, but I think it's fine compared to huge cities. I mean, ANYWHERE is going to suck at 7am and 5pm. The ramps between the two main highways are congeste b/c they're closed, but they've been like that for a while so they (I hope) will be done soon. There's also plenty of beaches nearby (parkes lining Lake Michigan) and plenty to do there.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Doozer61
25 miles southwest of the BAW family.
This definitely increases the livability of the city
Old 07-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 10:21 PM
I live at the Glass House Mountains, which is a semi-rural town on the Sunshine Coast. It is a bit hard to explain but the Sunshine Coast is about 80 kilometres in length and it is made up of a coastal area and a rural inland or hinterland area. The coastal area is made up of beach side suburbs starting with Caloundra in the southern end and Noosa at the north and again in the hinterland there are many little suburbs, but here they are called townships, so where I live, is one of the southern townships. I absolutely love where I live, the Sunshine Coast is just the most perfect place to live, our climate is amazing- like today is the middle of winter and there are blue skies and the top temp is going to be 24 degrees celcius. We have glorious beaches, great restaurants, the night life probably isnt the best, but Brisbane is only a short drive away and there you have all of the cultural and artistic pursuits that you could wish for in a capital city.

The cost of living isnt that expensive here, petrol is almost the cheapest of anywhere in Australia, household groceries are fairly cheap and most rents are reasonable, compared to other parts of Australia, however though, weekly incomes here are probably around $400 take home for full time office type work, however if you lived in a city this figure would be much higher. Apparently in Sydney you can make heaps of money a week, but the cost of living is massive, so I guess it is all relative!!!!!

The two bad things about the Sunshine Coast is employment and housing costs. There is this phenomena in Australia called 'Sea Change', where people who are sick of living in the congested cities are opting out of them and making a lifestyle choice and moving to beach side areas, as a result of this the Sunshine Coast is the fastest growing area in Australia, the current population is probably around half a million people and to be quite honest this rapid migration of people to the area is affecting road congestion and most importantly the price of housing. Most beach side three bedroom houses will cost you around $400 000 or more AU, however not too long ago the price would of been more like $200 000. And full time employment is extremely hard to come by as we the main business areas here on the coast are hospitality/tourism based jobs and building industry jobs, so if you want a 'professional' type job, then you have to move to Brisbane or compete against heaps of other people for the few jobs that may be available here on the coast, many people here on the coast have a saying when it comes to employment "its not what you know, but who you know", work can be so hard to come by here, that generally one of the only ways to get a foot in the door of a place is by who you know. From what I know the biggest employers on the Coast are one of the councils, one of the hospitals and Australia Zoo. As someone who has lived here for the majority of my life it does shit me that so many people are moving here, but then again I dont blame them, its a great place to live
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Toronto.

I like it a lot, but it's a big city (the only places in the US that are bigger are NYC, LA and Chicago), and therefore as all big cities, expensive. Tons of things to do, very accessible in terms of travel, tons of different cultures, foods, shops, and there is always something to do. Plus, if you leave the city and go up north to Muskoka or Algonquin, or east to 1000 Islands or south to Niagara, the nature is stunning and it's a really short drive away. I love the wilderness of Canada.