When visiting CUBA... tips anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm going to visit Cuba in April and I have no idea what to expect, what to look for. If anybody has ever been there or knows anything about it can help me out what to look for and what to do.

I'm going with parents and sister who is older than 21 but I don't get along to well with her so I guess I'll be doing most of the going out or whatever solo.

Any tips on what to do?

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'm going to visit Cuba in April and I have no idea what to expect, what to look for. If anybody has ever been there or knows anything about it can help me out what to look for and what to do.

I'm going with parents and sister who is older than 21 but I don't get along to well with her so I guess I'll be doing most of the going out or whatever solo.

Any tips on what to do?

Have fun :wave:

I think travel from the US to Cuba is severely restricted and US tourists cannot spend money there, so I doubt many people here can help you. :(

Man, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to check out Cuba.

If I recall, U2 wanted to go to Cuba during the "Pop" recording sessions, but there were immigration/visa issues or something, so they went to Miami instead.

I do know that Cuba has tons of American cars from the 1950s, still on the streets. If I were going, I'd rent a big ol' Caddy and roll around Havana with the top-down, a cigar in my mouth, a Mojito between my knees, and "Pop" blaring from the stereo.

Cuba is beautiful and has one major advantage: no American tourists. :wink: (joking, really!)

Varadero is the nicest part, in terms of beach stuff. The people are incredibly friendly and the interior of Cuba is stunning. One day soon this country will change a lot, but right now you can get a snapshot of it as it was 50 years ago.

I really liked Havana. There is the old part of the city with the nice cathedral and the bar where Hemingway went (Bodeguita del Medio), but it's pretty much a tourist trap now. Other stuff in Havana is nice too.

Another good place to go is Trinidad if you like history and colonial towns. I didn't go to see the Che memorial, that was too far (but the famous building with his face on it is in Havana and you should go see that).

I haven't been there but know people who have and they say it was an awesome trip.

So have a great time!!

We are thinking of going sometime soon too!! I don't know if you have checked out Tripadvisor.com but they have a forum for every different country and city. You will get tons of tips there. Here is the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147270-i91-Cuba.html

They have sub forums for Havana, Varadero, Holquin.

You can even look at resort reviews and travelers photos (on the left side, under cuba hotels).

Back
Top Bottom