when two scorpions meet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
they usually fight until one is dead.

they then celebrate by eating 1/3 of their body weight

you can't kill them by freezing them, for fun try freezing them in a block of ice for a week, then thaw them out with a blow torch, nope, nothing...

nor can you even kill them with an atom bomb (they have been found roaming nuclear test sites only hours afterward)

good news if you live in Mexico, there is a new anti-venom that safely, and almost instantly works to neutralize the venom of the scorpion, the Red Cross has been utilizing it for quite some time now; however, bad news if you live in the heavily scorpion-populated state of Arizona, where it's forbidden to purchase/administor the anti-venom because the United States Food & Drug Administration continues to drag its heels in the approval of this tested and proven resource [moral: if you get stung by a scorpion, make sure you're in Mexico not the United States]

*this message brought to you courtesy of the Discovery Channel

anyway, share your favorite scorpion stories and facts here

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
try freezing them in a block of ice for a week, then thaw them out with a blow torch, nope, nothing...

But if I just let it melt in the sun, will the slowly melting ice liquify and drown the damned things?

How bout if you eat them.

scorpion.jpg

aparently this works, hehe:

scorpion.jpg

scorpion.jpg

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

LMAO Sicy! We just posted the same pics!

------------------
-Albert Einstein

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWGHAAAUUD THATS NASTY!!!!!!

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

I hate Scorpions. And yes, I was almost stung by a scorpion in Mexico, had it not been for my auntie's insane screaming and pointing. I was too stupid to see what she meant, but my uncle got up and repeatedly stamp the thing to death - it took five huge stamps to kill it off, and he's a big guy.

Ant.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Since I've been "stung," which song does everyone like better: "(Here I Am) Rocky You Like A Hurricane" or "The Winds of Change"?

i like both songs, they're pretty cool

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

Winds of change, one of the greatest non-U2 rock ballads ever

Lots of scorpions here in my world, very very hard to kill. I've killed two of them, both small guys and looked almost transparent. Their "skin" seems to be able to absorb a lot of negative energy before giving in. For instance, I smashed one four times with a hammer on hard tile floor, and he still marched on. I think it took like 10 smashes to do him in that time.

Must kill scorpions! Kill Kill Kill!! I find just regular ol' Raid does a good job at killing those little critters. It makes them go bezerk and commit suicide by stinging themselves to death. heh heh. I've heard hairspray will also work. Sometimes I use the Hoover to suck them up alive. I only kill the ones that get inside my home. I don't mind them if they stay outside where they belong. They do a pretty good job at keeping the cricket population down.

I've lived in Arizona over 20 years and have been stung 3 times now. My first 18 years here I had never been stung once. Then two years ago my luck ran out and was stung twice inside my home within in a span of two weeks. First one was hiding inside my bedroom slipper and stung me on my big toe when I put it on. It was bark scorpion, the smallest of the Arizona scorpions with the most potent venon. VERY painful! Felt like someone was holding a blowtorch to my toe for two hours straight. Then 1 1/2 weeks later, another scorpion got me on the arm in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure it was crawling on my ceiling and dropped down onto my bed. Yeah, you can find them crawling on the ceiling at night!! It wasn't a bark scorpion and didn't hurt as badly. I was stung a 3rd time last year. Again in the middle of the night in my bed, this time it got under the covers and stung me on the leg. Not much you can do to keep from getting stung when you're asleep and don't know one's about to get you. Once you are stung, you wake up VERY fast no matter how deep of a sleep you're in.

holy shit U2ITNOL!!!
eek.gif
what's the deal with anti-venom then??? is it just certain species that will kill a person? what's the deal? you said you got stung by a severely poisonous species, you got anti-venom all 3 times? sorry to take such a fascination in such a serious and dangerous thing, but people always talk about snakes and spiders, it occured to me that scorpions are under-publicized, maybe because they're exclusive to the Southwest?

When 2 scorpions meet, they fight to the death? Well...what happens if ones a male and ones a female?!
wink.gif

I had to ask!
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Originally posted by z edge:
Winds of change, one of the greatest non-U2 rock ballads ever

IT IS!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE that song!!!!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 04-13-2002).]

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
what's the deal with anti-venom then??? is it just certain species that will kill a person? what's the deal?

I'm pretty sure there are species of scorpions in existence with venom lethal enough to kill a normal human being. Places like Africa perhaps? The most dangerous scorpion we have here in Arizona is the bark scorpion. But it rarely kills anyone and is not much worse than a bee sting. Most people just get the swelling and severe pain for a couple hours and don't need the anti-venom. The recommended treatment for a scorpion sting is the same as for a bee sting. Apply ice packs and take pain reliever. The sting of a bark scorpion can be very dangerous though to young children, elderly and people with allergic reactions to the venom. In those cases they should be rushed to the hospital immediately for anti-venom treatment.

I found this info on the bark scorpion on a local hospital's website...

There are as many as 41 species of scorpions in Arizona. All scorpions can sting, but only one scorpion in the United States, the bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda), causes medical problems. Unfortunately, this venomous scorpion is the most common one found in and around houses. It chooses to live in defined geographic areas. If your house, apartment or business is built on that geographic area you will most likely have scorpions come inside the dwelling.

"Scorpions are some of nature's most adaptable creatures, and the bark scorpion has proven that it can exist where people have made a home in the desert," said Dr. Richard Thomas, director of the Good Samaritan Regional Poison Center. "If you live in an area where there is a lot of construction, you may be more likely to find scorpions inside because their outdoor habitat has been disturbed. Once in the house, it is often found hiding under sheets or in shoes - anywhere away from direct light - and that makes it difficult to detect."

The bark scorpion measures from one to one and a half inches in length, making it one of the smaller species of scorpions. Its color may vary from light tan to a darker golden brown. It also is the only scorpion that curls its tail to the side while at rest.

A nighttime feeder, it's most commonly found near irrigated areas and pools; in palm trees; and on wooden fences and the walls of homes. "Scorpions can be difficult to find in regular light, but they fluoresce under ultraviolet light. If you use a black light they can be easily spotted," said Dr. Thomas. "They also can flatten themselves to fit through any crack the width of a credit card which makes them that much more difficult to find in daylight.

Scorpions stings can occur in many areas of the home. A recent study of phone calls received by the Poison Center showed that 33 percent of scorpion sting victims were stung in the bedroom with 24 percent being stung in the living room and only 6 percent in the bathroom. The bark scorpion is the only scorpion in Maricopa County that can climb. It is able to climb walls and walk across ceilings. It therefore can show up in bathtubs and beds, having fallen from the ceiling. It also has the ability to cling to the underside of many objects, making it important to be cautious when picking up an object where a scorpion could be hiding such as a wet towel from the pool area, furniture like a table or firewood.

The same Poison Center study showed that most people, 60 percent, were stung on the hand or bare foot. Scorpions are most active when the nighttime temperatures climb into and stay at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and approximately half of all scorpions stings occur between 7 p.m. and midnight.

Special Precautions
Because children younger than 10 years old are more likely to develop severe symptoms if stung, special care should be taken if you are visiting or reside in a bark scorpion-prone area:

? To prevent scorpions from either climbing or falling into the crib, place netting over the crib and set the legs of the crib in clean, wide mouth jars
? Roll back bed linens and check for scorpions before getting into bed
? Shake or examine all clothing and shoes before putting them on
? Move furniture and beds away from the walls
? Wear shoes when outdoors, especially around a pool at night
? Talk to a pest control company for other recommended procedures
? Be especially careful of wet/damp towels in the bathroom and pool area

Signs & Symptoms of a Sting
The first symptoms seen in infants and children are uncontrollable crying; rapid, jittery eye movements; and increased salivation. Adults stung by a bark scorpion may experience one or more of the following symptoms, usually beginning within the first two to three hours following the sting:

? Immediate local pain/burning sensation. No swelling or redness
? Touching the site of the sting causes great pain
? Numbness and tingling moving to parts of the body distant from the sting (infants and children may constantly rub their nose and face, indicating facial numbness and tingling)
? Visual disturbances and/or uncoordinated eye movements
? Difficulty swallowing and "swollen tongue" sensation with excessive drooling
? Slurred speech
? Muscle twitching
? Restlessness and irritability
? Respiratory problems with possible respiratory arrest

[This message has been edited by U2ITNOL (edited 04-13-2002).]

Yeah.
The little bastards are all around here.
Once when dropping off my then 6 yr old, her teacher gave a panicked look and said-
"Mr Schroeder theres a scorpion in the middle of the classroom!"
"Can you help us out" ?

I SQUASHED that little bastard.

No he didnt survive.

Diamond

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
When 2 scorpions meet, they fight to the death? Well...what happens if ones a male and ones a female?!
wink.gif

I had to ask!
tongue.gif

from http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/scorpion/emperor.htm

"He quickly leaves after mating, for a smaller male could be the female?s next meal."

------------------
-Albert Einstein

REPRODUCTION:

It is not known when emperors reach sexual maturity in the wild; it takes about three years in
captivity. Mating can occur year-round, but requires warm temperatures. When the two meet,
the male holds her in his grasp. He holds and pushes the female around until he finds a suitable
place to mate. When he finds the appropriate spot, he deposits his spermatophore on a solid
substrate. Then, he pulls the female into position over the spermatophore, and she accepts it
into her genital aperture. He quickly leaves after mating, for a smaller male could be the female?s
next meal.
eek.gif

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the useful link ABEL!
tongue.gif

------------------
"If he gets up...we'll all get up...It'll be anarchy!!"

Originally posted by z edge:
ABEL
texas
dallas
tejas
male
meal
eek.gif

Your dangerous cause your honest

btw, I'm a scorpio too, heh
icon16.gif

------------------
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 04-13-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom