When did you stop "believing" in Santa Claus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When did you stop "believing" in Santa Claus?

• By the age of 5

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Ages 5 to 7

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Ages 8 to 10

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • Ages 10 to 15

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Never!

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

fly so high!

Refugee
I am saying this because my little girl is asking me is Santa really real? Monique is 8 and i believe i was about 9 or 10 when i was first told Santa was not real, it was after Christmas and i remember being sad but not devastated, I don't remember all that well how it was told to me.

Reece is 6, and Santa is still very much real to him, he writes to him and draws him pictures and sings carols so santa can hear him.

The kids both know that the Santa in the shops are "helpers" that they fly back and forth to the north pole and tell SANTA what the kids want.

I just feel a little saddened that the end of believing in Santa is near for Monique....this might be our last Xmas that she believes in Santa. There are some kids out there that are calling them all babies if you believe in Santa still. She knows there is something dodgy going on, plus Moni "stumbled across" some stocking filler stuff *Damn-it-now-i-gotts-to-find-more-stuff*

Last edited:
I never believed in that dude from the North Pole. But I see that's not an option here. :hmm:

Then again, if we're talking about the one and only Sinterklaas, then I think I was around 7 or 8 when I found out that he wasn't alive anymore.

I was 3.

We got our gifts on Christmas Eve and I remember being in the kitchen with my grandfather, father, brother, and cousins and they said we were waiting for Santa. But I had to go to the bathroom and so I went by myself (like a big girl!) and then curiosity got the best of me, so I went to peek through the French doors that lead to the living room and saw my Mom and grandmother pushing the gifts under the tree.

It was kind of convenient from that point on to ask for what I wanted more bluntly. :wink:

I would probably tell my kids by 9 or so only because by then it seems everyone at school knew and the 2 or 3 kids who still bought into it were teased and called dumb, so to save them from that grief, if by 8 or 9 they don't know, I'd probably tell them. :shrug:

I didn't really ever believe, but it was mostly because my parents weren't really into Santa. We didn't go sit on Santa's lap, or write a list for Santa. We also didn't have a fireplace, so that always confused me when other kids talked about Santa. We had a chimney since our house was a 150 year old farm house, but it had been converted into closet space on each level, no fireplace for Santa to come out. I think I asked my dad once and he said Santa would put the presents on the back porch. I didn't really give Santa much thought in general.

I was around 8 - I was reading one of my mom's Good Housekeeping magazines (when I was little I used to literally read everything in sight) when I happened across an article about when you should tell your kids about Santa, etc. I wasn't bummed at all cause I figured I was still ok as far as the entire getting presents thing went. :wink:

About 8 or so, I had doubts before that but it was confirmed when I got up around 11 and saw my mother carrying the gifts back and forth from our neighbor's house where she hid them

I think I was about 7 or 8 and that is when I found "Santa" gifts in my parent's closet. I then dragged my sister in and showed her there's really no Santa Claus. Wrong thing to do and I Regret it...I think I scarred her for life. We talk about that every Christmas! I love the spirit of Christmas and will always carry that with me.

Those years "playing Santa" when my son was growing up was the most fun in my entire life! Seeing it from a child's eyes is so precious!

I went to a Catholic grade school and I was in the 3rd grade, when our teacher told us there was no Santa Claus. When I came home from school and told my mother, she was so mad about it. The funny thing about it , it was not a nun that even told us.

6 or 7
I saw the xmas gifts in their walk in closet.
also i heard my parents arguing xmas eve who would stay up and put all of the presents underneath the tree

I discovered around 9 or 10 that my parents were the ones staying up & eating the cookies we'd left for Santa (bastards! :madwife: :lol: ). I decided to keep it under wraps for another year or so until my brother was about 8... didn't want to ruin his childhood too early! :shh:

But I still believe in the spirit of Santa Claus...and I'm 36! :yes: :love:

I think I fall into the "8 to 10" category.

I remember I had heard a rumor on the playground, and then later on for dinner at a restaurant, I completely broke down crying and confronted my parents. I thought I was going to get in trouble or something . . . like I had found out something bad that I wasn't supposed to.

Of course, my parents just laughed and smiled. They thought I was being really cute.

That's just one of many stories that proves I really missed out, and did not receive the "rebellion" gene. :|

8,of course you find out sooner or later you parents aren`t just sneeking out for the hell of it :lol:

Last edited:
I don't remember how old I was....but I found out on my own that my dad was the one who wrote the "reply" to the letters I leave out with the milk, cookies and carrots (for the reindeers :wink: ) by looking at the handwriting (my dad has a unique handwriting).

But overall....I still believe in the spirit of Santa....real or not! :heart:

To be honest I think I was about 10!! I think it was more of an ignorance is bliss kind of thing... people were always saying "mum and dad blah blah blah" but I dont know... it just never really sunk in. Then one year I just broke out of it... My brother is now 13 (14 in about a week and a bit) and hasn't said anything about not believing in him... mum and I have talked about it heaps. But he most know :huh: My sister is still 9, so hopefully its not for a few years yet.

Because once my sister stops beleiving I'll be really depressed because it sucks all the magic out of Christmas. Santa makes it so much more magical I find.

I honestly don't really remember believing in Santa. Certainly by 5 I'd worked out there was no way that anyone could possibly fly all the way down to New Zealand and pop down all the chimneys in the country to deliver gifts, and we were just one country of many. I imagine my fascination with atlases helped there. And come on, flying reindeer? I think I always just took it as a fun childhood story, on the same level as fairytales and Disney movies and Thomas The Tank Engine, not as anything to take seriously. I incidentally did the same with the popular improbable religious stories like Noah's Ark - I've just had a skeptical side all my life.

Popmartijn said:
I never believed in that dude from the North Pole. But I see that's not an option here. :hmm:

Then again, if we're talking about the one and only Sinterklaas, then I think I was around 7 or 8 when I found out that he wasn't alive anymore.

I think this what my parents explained to me....they told me about St Nicholas - the real Santa...who came and delivered food and stuff to the poor........is that Sinterklaas?

Yep, that's him. :D

Some more background info on him:
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

Then:
MPL-badia-1m.jpg

And now:
sinterklaas.jpg

:)

I was about 8. I heard rumors that there was no Santa, and I thought it over. The idea of one man going to all the houses around the world in one night suddenly didn't make any sense.
Plus, I found one of my Christmas gifts hidden away in the front hallway closet!

I was about 9 or 10. In my house the present I got from Santa was always a different Santa wrapping paper from any other gifts. A week after Christmas I found that roll of paper in a corner in the basement. I knew then. I didnt let on that I knew though until about 13! LOL I still get a sock and present from Santa every year (everyone in my family does as my nephews still believe). I think even when they dont we will all still have socks.

Back
Top Bottom