When did you first start on the internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I was such a late starter. I didn't even fully comprehend (or care is more the point) about the internet until a couple of years ago. We had it briefly connected at home in 98 but after a few months I moved out and didn't get an ISP again until sometime in 2000. When I first used it I thought it was pretty stupid and had failed miserably in this huge promise to provide 'everything you want to know' and the etc. Perhaps I was completely inept and didn't know how or what to look for, but anyways...here we all end up eh?

hello!
here we are.

i think my parents had it in varying forms since 94...when i was 15.

I first started in 1997 (I was 15)...my best friend and I would go to the library to go to chatrooms. That was also the year I first met John in one of those chatrooms. I spent so much time at the library that my parents decided it was time to buy a computer for our home.

Prior to that...I confess...I was scared of computers because I didn't know ANYTHING about them. I was scared to press anything on the keyboard at first. :reject:

yeah I invented the internet, my real name is Al Gore

actually I started about 5 years ago, and now I work for an isp so......im addicted.......:wink:

we had a computer from about 1988 on, but never the internet. my parents used the puter for their translation and stuff working as missionaries. I first got online in the library at my high school in the States. 1996, I guess. Senior year. wow. funny to think of that. :huh:

I took my first computer class back in 1980 - we had a keyboard, lineprinter and modem and would tie into the local university computer. We learned BASIC programming and I started an enormous program that would play a rudimentary game of chess.

I started working on the internet during the early days of AOL - back in 1994 or so.

1996 at school. We used to have limits on how much time you could have on the internet. I think it was 20 minutes at lunch break and 25 at afternoon break. Pretty frustrating when you just finished typing an email as the internet got cut off.

Then our computer teacher decided to run some weird programme where people who could use the net would teach other people to use it and in return get extra time online. I volunteered but it never really worked :(

And now, I'm just an internet junkie ;)

We got it at work in 1996, but not everyone had access to it. I remember how amazing I thought it was, you could send tons of data in like minutes. I worked for a hospital then and my boss who came from a university had a tough time living without it because she used to have access to it.

I got dial-up at home in January of 1999, and in October of 2001 got a cable connection. I can't imagine living without it now.

Around 1989-1990, I first learned how to connect to other computers with a modem at work...that was the first time I hear the term "on-line." It was fascinating stuff to me back then.

But i think my first actual internet experience was 1994...early, very crappy AOL.

I remember my dad being all geeked about sucky AOL - can't remember when it came out, but it was before I graduated highschool, maybe 1993? He showed me how to look up things for school, but it kinda freaked me out so I never used it. I got online for the first time on my own in January 1999. I was so excited to finally be cool like everyone else and have email! :laugh:

I took my first computer class back in 1985, it was basic programming on apple 2e computers. In 1989, we had a modem to which we hooked into a BBS (Bullein Board Service). It only allowed 3-5 people on at a time. Later in 1991, is when I started my internet experience!

I can always remember having a computer (our first one we got in 1977, I was 2). Then in about 5th grade (age 10, 1985) there was the first computer with a modem hookup in our school. It got to be too costly to run so they took it away. Then I kinda forgot about it until I got into college in 1993, Gopher, Veronica, IRC and Netscape 1.0....so I've been on the net for about 10 years.

Hello,

My parents got their first computer in 1988 (I was 12 then). In 1995 I discovered the Internet when I was at the University. Within a few weeks I'd found a U2 mailing list and I was hooked.
But before 1995 I had some friends who had a modem and so we hooked them to a BBS (and started downloading games with a 2K connection (current dial-up modems are 56.6K). Aaah, the good old days).

C ya!

Marty

why do you wanna know?
are you planning to travel back in time to prevent it from ever happening? :grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom