When did you first start on the internet? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 02-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I took my first computer class back in 1980 - we had a keyboard, lineprinter and modem and would tie into the local university computer. We learned BASIC programming and I started an enormous program that would play a rudimentary game of chess.

I started working on the internet during the early days of AOL - back in 1994 or so.
I pre date you a bit. lol

In the mid 70s if you wanted to work with computers you took a Data Processing class. It involved creating data entry cards that had to be kept in proper order and fed into a machine for the processing of simple programs.

In the 80s I used a dial up modem to get work-related information, it was not the Internet.

At about 1993 I bought a desktop comp, it had a 14.4 dial up. The Internet providers were Prodigy and CompuServe I think. Rush Limbaugh was always plugging CompuServe. I think I got CompuServe for a bit, then switched to the new AOL for about a week (it sucked back then, too) and then switched to a local provider call deltanet. In the early days there were not a lot of graphics. I remember waiting several minutes, sometimes 6, 7 or longer staring at a blank screen as a picture slowly materialized and thinking how cool it was.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:14 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 PM
I first used the internet in 1995, but I didn't really start using it until my family got access in the spring of 1997.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:32 AM
i first went on the internet in 1995 i believe. i may have gone on earlier but if i did, i don't remember.

i did it where my parents worked. it was a T1 connection, kinda rare back then i think. stuff still took forever to load though, since computers had like 64k ram back then if you were lucky (my dad probably did since he was a techy guy). i remember waiting like a minute for a picture to load (even back then, people were stupid enough to make image-heavy pages and use HUGE pictures).

in fact, i even remember reading/hearing about discotheque being leaked on the internet from this very website! i couldn't listen to it though. the computer had no speakers.

i first got the net at home in 1997. we had a 56k modem, still pretty fast for back then since most people then were still on like 38.8 or something. in late 98 i switched to cable (as soon as road runner came to town) and never looked back.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
Old 02-24-2003, 08:11 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
The first time I ever tried the Internet was the fall of 1998 when I took a class that taught you the basics. I bought my home computer in the spring of 1999, and I've been spent a frightening number of hours online ever since.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 AM
about 5 or 6 years ago..
Old 02-24-2003, 08:49 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

My dad worked for an online legal tax information service when I was in H.S. in the late 80's. He had one of the first Compaq "mobile" computers for work, and it would connect through a modem. It was the size of today's hard drives.

We also had a Mac (that I still have, but do not use) that we got in 1987. We connected with the Prodigy serivce....and I remember posting about U2 back then. I even met a ton of people from that serivce,many that I still talk to today (MVD_75 even met one when I was in Atlanta).

In college (91-95) i remember connecting to the Internet before web browsers. It was boring.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:07 PM   #37
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I took my first computer class back in 1980 - we had a keyboard, lineprinter and modem and would tie into the local university computer. We learned BASIC programming and I started an enormous program that would play a rudimentary game of chess.

I started working on the internet during the early days of AOL - back in 1994 or so.
did you work at AOL?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
my intro was in Sept 1993. it was apart of my freshmen intro to college course. we had to get an email acct and i soon found the wonders of ISCA BBS from the University of Iowa. ah memories. lol i met many people from that bbs including a few boyfriends.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:40 PM   #39
Refugee

Interesting thread.

I think the first time I ever heard of the internet was on a trip to DC back in Aug. of 1994 (I was 12) and reading the day's headlines on the Smithsonian computers that Michael Jackson had just secretly married Lisa Marie Presley.

I used it more in high school and the library from '96-on, but didn't get the net or a computer in my home until fall of 2000. My parents said if I wanted a computer, I would have to buy it myself, so I did.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:17 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi

did you work at AOL?
No. Like others, I used AOL as my first ISP. I lasted less than a year with them.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:19 AM   #41
arw
Blue Crack Addict

1995 was my first time ever using it. that was at a friends house. I didn't actually get it myself until 1997 and I haven't moved from my computer since then.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:20 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:32 AM
1993 ... on my friends computer... and didn't start on that AOL 5#!+

Before Internet was even regulated.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:31 AM   #43
New Yorker

School in around 1997 I believe, didn't get it at home till 99.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:04 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Isn't it weird to think just ten years ago most of us had never used the internet...and yet now it's such a big part of many people's jobs and lives.

Time flies.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:24 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Probably around 1997, but our monitor sucked and it was in black and white. My sister's boyfriend was still trying to fix it. I ended up playing golf on the PC instead.