When did you first start on the internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
I took my first computer class back in 1980 - we had a keyboard, lineprinter and modem and would tie into the local university computer. We learned BASIC programming and I started an enormous program that would play a rudimentary game of chess.

I started working on the internet during the early days of AOL - back in 1994 or so.

I pre date you a bit. lol

In the mid 70s if you wanted to work with computers you took a Data Processing class. It involved creating data entry cards that had to be kept in proper order and fed into a machine for the processing of simple programs.

In the 80s I used a dial up modem to get work-related information, it was not the Internet.

At about 1993 I bought a desktop comp, it had a 14.4 dial up. The Internet providers were Prodigy and CompuServe I think. Rush Limbaugh was always plugging CompuServe. I think I got CompuServe for a bit, then switched to the new AOL for about a week (it sucked back then, too) and then switched to a local provider call deltanet. In the early days there were not a lot of graphics. I remember waiting several minutes, sometimes 6, 7 or longer staring at a blank screen as a picture slowly materialized and thinking how cool it was.

i first went on the internet in 1995 i believe. i may have gone on earlier but if i did, i don't remember.

i did it where my parents worked. it was a T1 connection, kinda rare back then i think. stuff still took forever to load though, since computers had like 64k ram back then if you were lucky (my dad probably did since he was a techy guy). i remember waiting like a minute for a picture to load (even back then, people were stupid enough to make image-heavy pages and use HUGE pictures).

in fact, i even remember reading/hearing about discotheque being leaked on the internet from this very website! i couldn't listen to it though. the computer had no speakers. :(

i first got the net at home in 1997. we had a 56k modem, still pretty fast for back then since most people then were still on like 38.8 or something. in late 98 i switched to cable (as soon as road runner came to town) and never looked back.

The first time I ever tried the Internet was the fall of 1998 when I took a class that taught you the basics. I bought my home computer in the spring of 1999, and I've been spent a frightening number of hours online ever since.

My dad worked for an online legal tax information service when I was in H.S. in the late 80's. He had one of the first Compaq "mobile" computers for work, and it would connect through a modem. It was the size of today's hard drives.

We also had a Mac (that I still have, but do not use) that we got in 1987. We connected with the Prodigy serivce....and I remember posting about U2 back then. I even met a ton of people from that serivce,many that I still talk to today (MVD_75 even met one when I was in Atlanta).

In college (91-95) i remember connecting to the Internet before web browsers. It was boring.

nbcrusader said:
I took my first computer class back in 1980 - we had a keyboard, lineprinter and modem and would tie into the local university computer. We learned BASIC programming and I started an enormous program that would play a rudimentary game of chess.

I started working on the internet during the early days of AOL - back in 1994 or so.

did you work at AOL?

Interesting thread.

I think the first time I ever heard of the internet was on a trip to DC back in Aug. of 1994 (I was 12) and reading the day's headlines on the Smithsonian computers that Michael Jackson had just secretly married Lisa Marie Presley. :laugh:

I used it more in high school and the library from '96-on, but didn't get the net or a computer in my home until fall of 2000. :reject: My parents said if I wanted a computer, I would have to buy it myself, so I did.

1995 was my first time ever using it. that was at a friends house. I didn't actually get it myself until 1997 and I haven't moved from my computer since then.

1993 ... on my friends computer... and didn't start on that AOL 5#!+

Before Internet was even regulated. :grumpy:

Isn't it weird to think just ten years ago most of us had never used the internet...and yet now it's such a big part of many people's jobs and lives.

Time flies.

Probably around 1997, but our monitor sucked and it was in black and white. My sister's boyfriend was still trying to fix it. :der: I ended up playing golf on the PC instead. :crack:

Back
Top Bottom