What's your sleep position?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
i usually sleep on my side or in the 'fetal' position.
And just like the study below says, I am shy and easy going as well.

:eyebrow:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/09/16/sleep.personality.reut/

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Whether it's curled up in the fetal position, flat on the stomach or stretched out across the bed, the way people sleep reveals their personality, a British sleep expert said on Tuesday.

Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service and a visiting professor at the University of Surrey in southern England, has identified six common sleep positions and what they mean.

"We are all aware of our body language when we are awake but this is the first time we have been able to see what our subconscious says about us," he said.

Crouched in the fetal position is the most popular sleep pattern and favored by 51 percent of women, according to the results of the study he conducted for a large hotel group.

Fetal sleepers tend to be shy and sensitive while people who assume the soldier position, flat on their back with arms at their sides, are quiet and reserved.

Sleeping on one's side with legs outstretched and arms down in what Idzikowski refers to as the log, indicates a social, easy-going personality. But if the arms are outstretched, the person tends to be more suspicious.

The freefall, flat on the tummy with the hands at the sides of the head, is the most unusual position. Only 6.5 percent of people prefer it and they are usually brash and gregarious.

Unassuming, good listeners usually adopt the starfish position -- on the back with outstretched arms and legs.

Idzikowski, who identified the positions by comparing personality traits of people, their preferred way of sleeping and the most common positions, said once a sleeping style is adopted it is rarely changed.

"What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect," he added in a statement.

I start off on my stomach, then end up curled on my side. For some reason, if I end up on my back, that's when I have nightmares.

stomach, and then i roll around like a lunatic. end up with the sheets all off the bed.

~LadyLemon~ said:
I start off on my stomach, then end up curled on my side. For some reason, if I end up on my back, that's when I have nightmares.

i hate sleeping on my back...i can never get comfortable. i remember how awful it was back when i was in a car accident a few years ago and broke my hand and i couldn't sleep on my side :huh:

IWasBored said:
stomach, and then i roll around like a lunatic. end up with the sheets all off the bed.

Yep, that's me too. If I'm by myself, I roll all over, but if someone else is with me, I can stay in one place (but still steal the covers ;))

I end up in the fetal position on either side, but i usually start out on my back and then my stomach while trying to fall asleep. Lying on my stomach is really comfortable except that if i fall asleep in that position my neck will hurt a lot for a few minutes.

I sleep on my stomach with my right arm stretched out on a pillow or two next to me. I need to have a something like a bunched up blanket or towel under the other side of my neck to balance myself out.

oh...i should also mention that whatever side i sleep on (usually my left), that arm is usually under my pillow too. the other arm will also alternate between being on my side and clutching the comforter.

Who could possibly maintain one position in bed?
I find it is dependent on so many factors.
It is the change of season here at the moment, first warm nights, that really makes me restless.
I often comment on the fact that bed is my favourite place on the planet...if I have some good music on the stereo too...ahhh bliss:yawn: :hug: :heart:
I find stuff like this interesting and fun. Thanks for bringing it here ABEL. I don't get to surf the net and miss so much treasure like this.
I can't easliy sleep on my back since I fell on the rocks, it still feckin' hurts..unfortunately.
If I had to pick one of those, it's most likely on my side, legs outstretched, arms down...so that's nice, social and easy going:D

...perchance to dream:)

PS: confession time...my hub is a bed hog. I was almost going to get up the other night and measure the amount of bed I had to sleep on, just to strenthen my case...more scientific process:laugh:

I typically sleep on my side, legs slighly curled up ... one arm inder my pillow and the other at my side ...

I think i just shared too much info ...

I mainly sleep on my stomach. Sometimes I'll sleep on my back in that "starfish" position.

Perle

Last edited:
The freefall, flat on the tummy with the hands at the sides of the head, is the most unusual position. Only 6.5 percent of people prefer it and they are usually brash and gregarious.

That'd be me! ...Well I dunno about brash and gregarious :eyebrow:
But anyway, I usually sleep like that with my head on one arm.
I hate lying on my back :no:

I usually sleep in fetal position and I don't move at all... sometimes I sleep like a vampire, on my back, hands on my chest... my ex sleeps like a big fat starfish... he's a very good warm pillow..

Last edited:
There have been many funny comments in this thread. :up:

I fall asleep on my stomach and then usually roll over onto my side or back, which means I'm a poopoo head.

u2popmofo said:
There have been many funny comments in this thread. :up:

I fall asleep on my stomach and then usually roll over onto my side or back, which means I'm a poopoo head.

hehehe... poopoo head...

Apparently most of us comprise that 6.5% faction. Huh.

I too sleep on my stomach with both arms suspended underneath my pillow. An interesting addition---I bend my knee in a crane-like position, so I guess I could also qualify for the fetal position as well. However, those two positions counter each other on the personality scale.

MrBrau1 said:
I also enjoy sleeping in the nude.
:combust:

:lol:
my most common is on my left side in the fetal position...usually with the left arm underneath the pillow...but i can be the worst at finding a position i like, period. :der:
i'm a tosser and turner :angry:....i tend to hog the bed too...like in a king size bed, I'll lie smack dab in the fookin middle. :lol:
it's funny...when i was younger...i preferred the stomach position...but that all changed once the boobs got in the way
:angry:

Back
Top Bottom