What's your hiccup cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drink water upside down or hold my breath while standing against a wall with my arms stretched as far up as i can manage

Breathing into a small paper bag (with the bag over your nose and mouth). It works every time.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Jennifer Mee can't stop hiccuping. For more than three weeks now, the 15-year-old St. Petersburg teen has hiccuped close to 50 times a minute — despite the best efforts of doctors and home remedies.

She's had blood tests, a CT scan and an MRI. Drugs haven't worked. Neither has holding her breath, putting sugar under her tongue, sipping pickle juice, breathing into a paper bag and drinking out of the wrong side of a glass.

And, yes, people have tried to scare them out of her.

The hiccups do stop when she's sleeping.

According to the National Institutes of Health, hiccups are caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, which causes vocal cords to briefly close, which makes that distinctive hiccup sound. They can start for no reason or be triggered by anything from spicy foods to stress.

It is not clear what triggered Jennifer's hiccups, which started in school Jan. 23. Her mother, Rachel Robidoux, recently turned to the local newspaper for help.

"I'm just looking for some answers where somebody's gone through this," Robidoux told the St. Petersburg Times. "At this point, we're willing to do anything."

:yikes:

I take long slow breaths and hold them for a second then slowly let it out. Or i take a glass of water and say '1' then take a sip, then '2' and take a sip etc. until you get to 10. usually works for me :) i had hiccups the other day during my math test :mad:

My family's remedy is asking the person with hiccups "What's your mother's maiden name?" I have no idea why this works, but it does.

TODAY
Updated: 1:15 p.m. MT Feb 16, 2007
Imagine being unable to stop hiccuping? Not for a few minutes, or even hours. What if you hiccuped almost non-stop for weeks on end? That would be pretty horrible, huh?

Jennifer Mee doesn't have to imagine what it would be like. The 15-year-old from St. Petersburg, Fla., suddenly and inexplicably began hiccuping during first period science class on Jan. 23 and has only stopped during periods of sleep. She told TODAY's Meredith Vieira that the constant contractions have become painful and are affecting the quality of her life.

"I can't do what a normal teenager would do," said Jennifer, appearing live on the show on Friday with her mother and a physician. "I can't go to a movie like I would like to do every Friday. I can't go somewhere out in public without people staring and saying something. I've had people ask me if I was drinking or if I was pregnant."

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennifer stopped going to school because of her condition. And she spends most of her time trying to sleep, with the help of Benadryl and Valium. During waking hours, she and her mother, Rachel Robidoux, visit doctors and try home remedies.

They've tried almost everything. Sugar, guzzling water, lemon, peanut butter, pickle juice, bitters, prescription medicines — anything they can think of to quiet the spastic nerve endings that doctors believe cause the flex action.

"No ideas as to what's happening yet?" Vieira asked.

"Nothing yet. That's why we are here," Robidoux said. "We're hoping someone can come up with a solution."

Viewers try to help
TODAY asked viewers to submit their tried-and-true hiccup cures and the show was quickly inundated with more than 10,000 emails. Jennifer liked the suggestion of massage therapy, but bristled at a recommendation that she try acupuncture. She tried many of the home remedies, and even one readers did not suggest — a hug outside on the Plaza in 15-degree weather from country music star Keith Urban, another TODAY guest Friday.

The medical profession has theories about the cause of hiccups, but nothing is definitive. Experts are baffled about why some medicines and home remedies work for some people, but not others.

"It's ironic. Hiccups are so common, almost all of us have them, but we don't really know what causes it," said Dr. Roshini Raj, a gastroenterologist at the New York Medical Center.

Jennifer remains hopeful, and confident, that either she or doctors will find out what is causing her hiccups soon. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Information Center, chronic hiccuping is rare. There have been cases, however, where people have learned to live with the condition. In one extreme case, a patient hiccuped continually for 60 years.

Back
Top Bottom