what's your favourite Elvis song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Popmartijn said:

:kiss:

But, erm... Lila...
Elvis Costello didn't write that song. Nick Lowe wrote it.

'Pump It Up' is brilliant though.
And 'I Want You'. And 'Town Cryer'. And 'New Amsterdam'. And 'Deep Dark Truthful Mirror'. And a gazillion other ones.

:heart:

Yes I know. That's why I had to edit my original post, cuz I knew Nick wrote it.

But Elvis does write some incredible stuff (Costello that is :wink: )

But did Presley write that much of his own material :eyebrow: :reject:

No, he didn't, Lila.

Some of my favourites would be:

Viva Las Vegas
Suspicious Minds
Burning Love
(Marie's the name of) His Latest Flame
Love me :heart:

Last edited:
love me tender
viva las vegas
return to sender (is that the name? i can't remember. its a fun song)
a little less conversation

lol what about that rubbernecking song. hehe

angelordevil said:
When I was a kid, my local television station would play this sometimes during the commercial breaks. It was on heavy rotation on Elvis's birthday and anniversaries of his death. As a 6-year-old, it reached into my soul. :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zmVFnhO3A98

That is a fabulous song....anyone have Elvis no. 1's its really a great collection.

You know, it's funny how so many people love Suspicious minds 'cos i'm not mad about it, not to say i dislike it but it's not way up there!

I'd say my favs were Can't help falling in love, Wooden heart, A little less conversation mix and right back to the beginning, That's alright momma, i always loved and then to the sad end of Way on down.

He only ever set foot in the UK once and that was not too far from where i live at Prestwick airport :heart: (If only he'd been here for a tour :sad: )

JCOSTER said:

That is a fabulous song....anyone have Elvis no. 1's its really a great collection.

:yes:

As for his more rocking songs, Jailhouse rock is my favourite. The drums/guitar intro...

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

But did Presley write that much of his own material :eyebrow: :reject:

I'm pretty sure he wrote very little. He certainly made the work of others' his own on stage, but there was also something very sad about him. I'm not from that era, and I guess I can't judge his impact completely, but he always seemed to be a kind of sad puppet for the 'American Dream' of success and fame. Michael Jackson the same.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hate to have to pick one, but maybe If I Can Dream

I went to Graceland last spring and it was awesome

I went over five years ago and I agree with you there. :up:

Hmm, hard to pick a favorite... Suspicious Minds, Can't Help Falling In Love, It's Now or Never, and Are You Lonesome Tonight are all favorites.

susanp6 said:
(If only he'd been here for a tour :sad: )

I was reading in the trivia section of the TV guide today that the BBC made strenuous efforts to recruit Elvis to appear on some music programme of theirs that I'd never heard of and he was approached many, many times to do the Royal Variety performance but Tom Parker always said no. :madspit:

:yes: that's absolutely right Q1 :| I was talking about this only a few days a go with my mum and i actually said to her Elvis did want to do concerts here but it wasn't down to him - he was being too controlled by his manager&she was nodding in agreement saying yep, he did want to come here for longer but at least we have the claim to fame for him being here! :wink:

No fair about not doing some shows though :mad: :sad: mind you, i was too young to have seen him anyway!

Last edited:
Can't Help Falling in Love ....... melts my heart every time I hear it.

I have a downloaded version of Elvis singing Danny Boy. It truly is the most perfect vocal I have ever heard.

That's All Right Mama and Heartbreak Hotel.

I :heart: early Elvis.

Later Elvis had a few gems too, though. I love Hunk of Burning Love in all it's cheesy glory. I also love In the Ghetto (I think this was from his later years too?) He also did a beautiful cover of Unchained Melody.

corianderstem said:
Are You Lonesome Tonight.

Elvis at his most beautiful and heartbreaking.

I think he is at his most beautiful and heartbreaking in his late years.And i was so glad when someone around here said that!
As an E-fan since i was a kid, i know him very well,and it is almost impossible to choose between many well known and unknown songs. I"ll try:
Kentucky rain, Help me Jesus, His latest flame, Separate ways, Girl happy, BABY i dont care, Suspicious minds, Too long in the rain, If i can dream...it may end now, or i could go on forever :drool:

Back
Top Bottom