What's your favourite Elvis Costello song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry Vest said:
I guess I'm the only one who says "Tramp The Dirt Down" - by far the saddest Elvis Costello song ever.

Great song, but I wouldn't exactly consider it sad. More like bitter, hateful, dark and full of venom.
And he still can't do what he promised to do in that song (dance on the grave of Margareth Thatcher), since she's still alive.

Christ I'm really dreading everyone picking Everyday I Write the Book :uhoh:

It's probably Elvis at his most wishy-washy and radio friendly but hell, Shipbuilding has a very similar tone and it comes off as a much better song on the whole. I'm by no means a hater of radio friendly stuff either - The Loved Ones is one of my favs off of Imperial Bedroom.

You really can't argue with Oliver's Army though - it's British piano rock at its finest. Bombastic, intricate, and scathing.

Indoor Fireworks :drool: :heart:
Alison
Poor Napoleon

Shipbuilding's really good too, so is Watching The Detectives and Veronica :) And Oliver's Army *g*

what's weird is how few of the songs you guys have mentioned are in itunes...:scratch:
Is a lot of his older stuff just not there or what? I'm an EC newbie and wanted to try a few of the songs recommended here, but most of them aren't there or are by other artists :reject:

Difficult to choose just one, but I'll go for Olivers Army, great song, & brings back great memories for me, at a time of life when I had no responsibilities, there was so much great music around at that time, & this track was one of the best!

love2bmama said:
what's weird is how few of the songs you guys have mentioned are in itunes...:scratch:
Is a lot of his older stuff just not there or what? I'm an EC newbie and wanted to try a few of the songs recommended here, but most of them aren't there or are by other artists :reject:

Gotta stick to the first few albums. There's a great 'best of' out there if you are just getting started. That is if you wanted to buy something. Or you could check out You Tube.

Just a few faves:
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love & Understanding :heart:
Pump It Up
Alison
Oliver's Army
Radio Radio
Watching The Detectives
New Amsterdam
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Clubland
Lipstick Vogue
Blue Chair
I Want You

I could go on... and on... :love:

love2bmama said:

It looks like iTunes only stocks latter releases.

Go to a record store maybe and buy the Rihno beautiful double disc editions of some major albums, your not going to go wrong with This Years Model, Imperial Bedroom, Blood and Chocolate or Armed Forces.

Even if you just get one, (Armed Forces) in particular, because of the new double disc format you'll get many more of the "big" songs your hearing about here in live or studio versions.

A Great Costello Moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOuknbvu21Q

Tarvark said:

Go to a record store maybe and buy the Rihno beautiful double disc editions of some major albums, your not going to go wrong with This Years Model, Imperial Bedroom, Blood and Chocolate or Armed Forces.

Even if you just get one, (Armed Forces) in particular, because of the new double disc format you'll get many more of the "big" songs your hearing about here in live or studio versions.

A Great Costello Moment:

an actual store where you can buy music :scratch: what a concept.

thanks for the advice, I will look for that disc!

Popmartijn said:

Please do! :p

:p

Currently playing: Ferry 'Cross The Mersey/Tiny Steps/Gloria (snippet) [the Animals' version]

and I do like the whole Blood & Chocolate album :up:

Marty- I got to get some stuff from hubby and upload for you. Keep reminding me

Tarvark said:

A Great Costello Moment:

^That's an all-time classic moment :heart: And it's hard to believe it's almost 30 years old :ohmy:

Based on the few Elvis Costello songs / albums I've heard (thanks Mike! :bow: ) my favourite is I Want You. Awesome song.

Lila64 said:
and I do like the whole Blood & Chocolate album :up:

Same here. Elvis going back to the core of guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. And oh, being pissed off. :)
:drool:

Marty- I got to get some stuff from hubby and upload for you. Keep reminding me

OK, I will. :p

Lila64 said:
^That's an all-time classic moment :heart: And it's hard to believe it's almost 30 years old :ohmy:

I have that one on a SNL DVD.
Kinda ironic if you realise that Elvis was chased out of the building after this performance and being told that he would "never work on American television again." Only because he did something live on a live show. :shrug:

Now is such a great time to get into Elvis Costello because of all the reissues he's been doing. Although I already have all of U2's stuff, I could be tempted to rebuy if they did like Elvis and added introspective liner notes and a second disc with B-sides, rarities, alternate versions and live tracks. So awesome.

dsmith2904 said:
Now is such a great time to get into Elvis Costello because of all the reissues he's been doing.

And I think you have to act quick, as he has licensed his back catalogue (certainly up to Blood & Chocolate, maybe even up to All This Useless Beauty) to Universal. So fear new reissues coming up in a few months. And I doubt they'll be as good as the current ones on Rhino.
I started with just a few keys albums (well, few... he has made a lot of key albums), but when I also found some of his less important stuff for cheap, I caved in and bought all those reissues. And I never regretted it. So many great songs/b-sides/outtakes/live songs to listen to! :up:

:bow:

My husband has many live shows, and I just uploaded one to send space if anyone is interested. PM or email me. It's from The Wiltern in Los Angeles on 3-26-05, same night that U2 played their rehearsal show in L.A.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom