What's your favorite scary movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ew yeah Wolf Creek...I do love all the post-Texas Chainsaw things (Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, Wolf Creek). Creepy.

I also liked 28 Days Later and the new Dawn of the Dead. It's like they took the stoned zombies in Night of the Living Dead and gave them meth...hardcore zombies on speed, dig it.

CTU2fan said:
It's funny, the movie IT was sort of amusing without being really scary at all (IMO), but the BOOK, oh man that scared the hell outta me. Pet Sematary is another...cheesy movie, horrific novel.

Both of those movies didn't bother me either but the book themselves put some fear into me! :yikes:

What's your favorite scary movie?

The first one probably.

Oh come on. You knew it was coming :wink:

I HATE scary movies. I have never seen one and I never, ever plan to. I can't handle them. I crap myself when I'm with mates and they go to put on a movie, and they start throwing around titles like Scream, TCM, etc... I'm like, "we haven't seen Scary Movie in a while!"

Liesje said:
Something about Wolf Creek continues to disturb me. I'm afraid of Australia! :reject:

:lol: We're not aaalll like that...

JOKING

No it's quite funny actually, he struggles to get many roles lately because of that movie.

The only movie that's ever scared me was the Exorcist, and 20+ years later, it still freaks me out to think of it.

I think Blair Witch bugged me out for a night or two.......I can't think of any others that got to me.

UberBeaver said:
The only movie that's ever scared me was the Exorcist, and 20+ years later, it still freaks me out to think of it.

I think Blair Witch bugged me out for a night or two.......I can't think of any others that got to me.

I hated that part at the end where the guy is standing in the corner... ughh, I had trouble sleeping after that as well.

For me:

Halloween
The Shining
The Exorcist
Jacob's Ladder
Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

On a related note, my wife dragged me to go see 28 Weeks later this weekend... The first 15-20 minutes are some of the most intense scenes I have seen in a horror film in a while...

Screwtape2 said:

:love: I love that movie. Tim Robbins deserved an Oscar for it.

It was pretty awesome... There were only a couple of disturbing scenes but man where they disturbing... :up:

If you liked the imagery from JL, I recommend Silent Hill by Christope Gans. The plot sucks pretty bad but the sets + cinematography + imagery = awesome (it helps that I love the video game as well)

Last edited:
Seven or Silence of the lambs from the newer ones.

For older ones...Hitchcock. No one did suspense like him.

The Exorcist still gets me. I can't sleep well after this movie.

I watched Peter Strab's Ghost Story during my early teens. That scared the crap out of me. Haven't seen a better ghost movie since.

GibsonGirl said:

it-pennywise-howling.jpg

:lol:

I completely agree with Silence of the Lambs :up: I was lucky enough to see it in the theatre when it first came out…I think I was 16 or something. Thanks to my overprotective mother, I was only allowed to go if she went with me. Some of the scenes made a man out of me pretty quickly :wink:

Right from the beginning of that film, there was something terribly gripping about it. The characters were so believable. I think it’s much harder to make something like that than the clichéd lopping off of heads blood-fests.

CTU2fan said:

I also liked 28 Days Later

I almost rented that this weekend. The sequel is here in the theatre now. I've heard good things about them both...how they go beyond just Zombies and deal with humanity. But maybe it's just Zombies :wink:

Also, Signs by M.Night is pretty scary! Especially the scenes where they're out in the back yard at night, trampling over leaves and stuff, looking for something. Subtle horror.

rosemary.jpg

I bought this DVD out of sheer curiosity.

Watched it once, about 3 years ago.

Haven't had the courage to watch it again :reject:

Zootlesque said:
Also, Signs by M.Night is pretty scary! Especially the scenes where they're out in the back yard at night, trampling over leaves and stuff, looking for something. Subtle horror.

That is definitely a great movie, too bad The Village was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Is Lady in the Water as bad?

Zootlesque said:

Fantastic movie :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

That is definitely a great movie, too bad The Village was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Is Lady in the Water as bad?

Lady in the Water was his best film since The Sixth Sense in my opinion. Totally different from anything else he's ever done, so it doesn't suffer from the "sameness" of all his other films post-6th sense.

I highly reccomend it. :up: Probably give it an 8/10

Thanks, I'll add it to the Netflix queue.

Unbreakable is extremely good too, yet no one talks about it.

It has Sam Jackson in it with a crazy afro, meaning it gets some points no matter how bad it turned out to be.

Lancemc said:

Lady in the Water was his best film since The Sixth Sense in my opinion. Totally different from anything else he's ever done, so it doesn't suffer from the "sameness" of all his other films post-6th sense.

I highly reccomend it. :up: Probably give it an 8/10

:up:

That movie was unfairly panned...I absolutely loved it. It was totally different as you say, but very cerebral, with a lot going on below the surface. I think it crashed at the box office. Hope that doesn't curb his willingness to take risks.

"A paranoid thriller about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity."

Paranoid thriller :drool:

I recently watched (Quentin Tarrantino presents) Hostel, and The hills have eyes and they were both excellent movies imo and I usually don't watch scary movies.

Also The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock is probably one of my favorite movies ever but I don't think it's that scary.

I thought The Hills Have Eyes (remake) was one of the worst films I've seen in the past couple years.

Here's several of mine, in no particular order ...

The Night Of The Living Dead
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
The Omen
Damian: Omen II
The Final Conflict: Omen III
Omen IV: The Awakening (absolutely horrifying ... the most scary one of all 4)
Jaws
Kingdom Of The Spiders
The Birds
Silent Predators
Cujo
The Night Stalker
Children Of The Corn
It
The Tommyknockers
Halloween
Friday The 13th
The Silence Of The Lambs
Silent Rage
When A Stranger Calls (1979 version)
Carrie
The Last House On The Left
Bloody Birthday

LemonMacPhisto said:
Unbreakable is extremely good too, yet no one talks about it.

It has Sam Jackson in it with a crazy afro, meaning it gets some points no matter how bad it turned out to be.

:love: One of my top 10 favourite movies... The idea of a super hero movie just focusing on the origin story appeals to me somehow...

Roland of Gilead said:
The Exorcist still gets me. I can't sleep well after this movie.

I watched Peter Strab's Ghost Story during my early teens. That scared the crap out of me. Haven't seen a better ghost movie since.

Totally forgot Ghost Story. The occasional shocks (when Alma turns into Eva's corpse & scares everyone) and the overall uneasy tone to the film make it a great ghost movie indeed.

Liesje said:
Something about Wolf Creek continues to disturb me. I'm afraid of Australia! :reject:

OK! The most disturbing film I have ever seen!!!! :yikes:

What really sucked about Wolf Creek was this: most horror/slash films have these cardboard-cutout 2 dimensional characters that you don't really root for and you don't really care when they meet their inevitable, bloody-horrific demise.

But Wolf Creek on the other hand, spent almost the first full hour of the film developing these 3 really cool, unique, fully realised and fleshed-out 3 dimensional characters that I really liked and cared about. I was so excited and eager to be on their vacation/adventure with them. I really liked all 3 of them and especially the cute and sweet budding romance between the guy and the one girl.

And then the film spends the last hour following a sadist raping, torturing, hunting down and killing them in the most horrific manner.

I was so upset at that film and I wanted to walk out, but my friend was really enoying it, so I couldn't. (Mental note: re-evaluate friendship!) j/k :)

Wolf Creek: I HATE IT because it made me care before it ripped my heart out! :madspit:

Also, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but my friend and I watched the orginal "Amityville Horror" with the all the lights out, the window and curtains open, on like an October night and it scared the absolute living hell out of me!

(Of course, as usual, the re-make was nowhere close to as good as the original)

2005_the_amityville_horror_011.jpg

amity1.jpg

annie_vox said:
The Silence Of the Lambs/ Hannibal/ The Red Dragon - I'm a big fan of these films.

Silence Of The Lambs, yes. I didn't find Hannibal or Red Dragon all that scary however... IMO

Hannibal had the gore factor down, I'll give it that and I really liked Red Dragon (more than Manhunter) but I didn't find either to have nearly the same edge as SOTL...

U2girl said:

For older ones...Hitchcock. No one did suspense like him.

Haven't seen The Birds or Psycho, but I have seen Rear Window, and I found that quite boring and tedious, and the climax seen was a little lacklustre.

Back
Top Bottom