What's you favorite book ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Fav Book is 'Einstein's Theory Of Relativity by Max Born', it really helped me get the fundamental pieces of the puzzle down and has since led me to try to learn more on the subject.

MissMaCo said:

PS great avatar viva SA, it used to be mine a few months ago ! ;)

Hey MissMaCo!
Actually, when I first registered here, I used to have the same avatar that you have now!
I think we've got some strange avatar karma going around here, hmmm:eyebrow:

fah said:
To Kill A Mockingbird is the story of a Southern lawyer (Atticus Finch) who defends a black man who is accused of raping a white woman.

I know this because I have seen the movie with Gregory Peck. :up: :up:

I must read this book :yes:

Oh, I know it! I read it, just I couldn't get that, because the italian title is very different. It sounds like "The darkness beyond the bush".
It's really a wonderful book. And the movie with Peck is absolutely great!

MissMaCo said:

the only problem is that I'm no Queen fan !
Other suggestions Tomer ?

its not about queen, but about Freddie

hmmm other suggestions........

not really, not a big reader anymore

i'm currently re-reading my collection of jane austen novels, perfect sitting on the porch in the shade fare. i particularly enjoyed pride and prejudice.

:cool:

I've been reading Betty Smith's books (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Joy in the Morning), and they are amazing. She seems to have a simple and pure writing style that really captures the characters.

Anyone else read her stuff?

Oh yes, dandy, that's exactly what I do on a regular basis. 'P&P' is definitely one of my all time favourites. Even BEFORE I watched the serial with Colin Firth :love:
Besides, I can always read anything by Ben Elton, David Lodge or Roddy Doyle. And Terry Pratchett, if I want to have fun. I keep re-reading him too, and there's a lot to read!

greety said:
If you like the irish sense of humor, you might wanna read anything from Roddy Doyle like The commitments or The snapper .

mmm roddy doyle. i agree. fun, fun reads.

my picks:
anything by christopher moore. witty, clever, laugh out loud funny. my favorite is lamb: the gospel according to biff, christ's childhood pal.
anything by david sedaris. (i especially like holidays on ice and me talk pretty one day)
lullaby - chuck palahniuk
life of pi - yann martel (this took me three months to get through it... i don't know why, but it was worth it.)
a graveyard for lunatics - ray bradbury
catcher in the rye - j.d. salinger

peace, love & badlemon,
toni

...is the acropolis crumbling?

valentina said:
I just finished "Courier sud" by de Saint-Exupery. I read it in French. There's a phrase in the novel that says: "Reve tout haut". It means "Dream out loud". Nice, isn't it?

:yes:

:up:

Have you ever read Le Petit Prince ? (The Little Prince)
Such a beautiful story for children and grown ups as well. :)

Let's all dream out loud ! :hug:

My goodness, all of these posts and no one has mentioned Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and all of its sequels.
I'm currently reading it again for the third time.

Here's a so-so quote from Amazon:

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.
Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.
Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time between wearing digital watches? For all the answers stick your thumb to the stars. And don't forget to bring a towel!
--------------------------------------------
Quotes from this classic book just keep popping up for me lately. A very popular language translation website (babelfish) is a reference to this book. There's been talk about making a movie out of this for a while, -don't know if it will ever see the light of day. It's scheduled for a 2005 release. I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, actually, I find most of it quite crappy, but Douglas Adams really is funny.

I've recently read something about the film production being well under way. They even said some of his family members (wife, daughter and someone else) will appear in it as extras in one scene. Robert Rankin is a bit like him, with his 'The Book Of Ultimate Truths' and 'The Greatest Show Off Earth'. If you like Adams, you should like these two as well, the sense of humour is pretty much the same.

U2dork said:

Quotes from this classic book just keep popping up for me lately. A very popular language translation website (babelfish) is a reference to this book. There's been talk about making a movie out of this for a while, -don't know if it will ever see the light of day. It's scheduled for a 2005 release. I've never been a huge fan of science fiction, actually, I find most of it quite crappy, but Douglas Adams really is funny.

There's a teaser trailer for the movie up. It stars Martin Freeman (Tim in "The Office" ) as Arthur. :)

I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the tip AvsGirl41. In my search for the teaser I've discovered John Malkovich and Sam Rockwell will be in the film as well. Should be interesting. Can't wait until next June.

Back
Top Bottom