What's you favorite book ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everone is recommending great books that I will have to go to Boarders and spend y usual 50 or so my recommendations -
1. Anything by Nora Roberts (this is realy just mind candy - fun for vacay)
2. To Kill a Mockingbird - Haper Lee - just amazing on so many levels
3. Jane Austin - no romance novel would be around today without her

My favorite author is F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'd recommend anything by him. I'm not sure if you could find them in French, but his collected short stories make for good summertime reading, especially at bedtime. You can read one every night before you fall asleep. :)

i don't read many books :reject:

but my all time favorite book is 'to kill a mockingbird'

-On The Road & The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
-Last Train To Memphis & Careless Love by Peter Guralnick
-Catcher In The Rye by Salinger
-Anything by Michael Moore or Al Franken
-Anything by Dylan Thomas, Charles Bukowski, Ernest Hemingway or William Butler Yeats
-Down The Road by Howard Sounes
-U2 at the End of the World by Flanagan
-Riders On The Storm by John Densmore

more I'm sure but that's all I can think of right now

Roddy Doyle's my favourite writer (after James Joyce :heart: :heart: :heart: )
He wrote great books - some title I read:
- The woman who walked into door
&
- Paddy Clarke ah ah ah
- a star named henry
- the commitments
- the van
- the snapper.
- Rory and Ita

He's definetely a great novelist. I love the way he writes and describes things.

A friend just advice me to read "Da Vinci's Code". She said it'a a great novel. Do you know it?

My favorite book ever is To Kill a Mockingbird.

I started the first book in the His Dark Materials series, but then I broke my leg and never got back to it. Now I'm afraid to, cause I associate the book with crutches! It was interesting, but not Harry Potter-esque the way my friend told me it would be.

valentina said:
Roddy Doyle's my favourite writer (after James Joyce :heart: :heart: :heart: )
He wrote great books - some title I read:
- The woman who walked into door
&
- Paddy Clarke ah ah ah
- a star named henry
- the commitments
- the van
- the snapper.
- Rory and Ita

He's definetely a great novelist. I love the way he writes and describes things.

A friend just advice me to read "Da Vinci's Code". She said it'a a great novel. Do you know it?

I love Roddy Doyle! He's great. "A Star Called Henry" is my favorite.

The Da Vinci Code is pretty good. If nothing else, Dan Brown has a good, fast paced writing style.

I just finished "A Snow in August" by Pete Hamill, which is the one of the better books I have read in a long time. "Forever", also by Hamill is good, but a little more tedious.

Someone mentioned "Girl with the Pearl Earring". Also a great book, but I thought the other books by Chevalier were better (The Virgin Blue or Falling Angels).

If it's something really light and girlie, try the "Shopaholic" books by Sophie Kinsella. They are pretty funny.

valentina said:

Your favourite novel by Joyce?

I have a great admiration for "Dubliners", especially the short story called "Evelyn". Very touching story.

yeah, "Dubliners" is my favorite one. I love the short story "A Painful Case" and also "The Dead". And I agree with the touching "Evelyn".
We studied the whole book at school about 8 years ago. :up:

Marie :)

I've just read "Dead Cat Bounce" by Damien Owens.
Has someone read it ?
It's quite fun and very easy to read.
I recommend it. :up:

Next book is a biography of Marlon Brando. I have never read biographies before. Don't know if I'll like it. But I love Marlon Brando, so ...

where's Meeganie ? As a Kundera fan as myself I was wondering if she could give me the English titles of his books for I read them in French :wink:

*thinks her wedding's approaching...*

MissMaCo said:
I've just read "Dead Cat Bounce" by Damien Owens.
Has someone read it ?
It's quite fun and very easy to read.
I recommend it. :up:

Next book is a biography of Marlon Brando. I have never read biographies before. Don't know if I'll like it. But I love Marlon Brando, so ...

Another nice coincidence: I just spend an entire week watching Marlon's movies!
He was an excellent actor -- so sad the way he ended his days!

Hey Valentina ! I see we have some things in common !

I studied A Streetcar Named Desire this year and we watched the play a lot. :up:
Did you watch it ?

I somehow paid tribute to him on a pic I posted in the Photos Thread. (Lemonade) I can't remember which one it is actually...

A bient?t ! / See you !

Marie

MissMaCo said:
Hey Valentina ! I see we have some things in common !

I studied A Streetcar Named Desire this year and we watched the play a lot. :up:
Did you watch it ?

I somehow paid tribute to him on a pic I posted in the Photos Thread. (Lemonade) I can't remember which one it is actually...

A bient?t ! / See you !

Marie

Yes, I watched it.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you the other movies I saw, becuase I just know their Italian titles.
Je regrette. Pardon!

There's no way I can narrow it down to just one book. But my favorite book that I've read recently The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

fah said:
I have not read 'To Kill A Mockingbird'

How did this happen?

I read it a long time ago, and remember really liking it. Oddly enough, I can't remember what it's about. I know it's considered and American classic. Doesn't it have something to do with racism in the South? I really should re-read this one.

To Kill A Mockingbird is the story of a Southern lawyer (Atticus Finch) who defends a black man who is accused of raping a white woman.

I know this because I have seen the movie with Gregory Peck. :up: :up:

I must read this book :yes:

Someof you mentioned Secret Life of Bees...amazing boook. Some of you also mentioned Girl with Pearl Earring and Lovely Bones...loved them both.

A fabulous book is called The Color of Water..I forget the author. This is an easy read about a white Jewish mother raising about 10 black children in Harlem by herself. It is a great book.

Also I loved the Yaya Sisterhood and Little Alters Everywhere series. The book was much better than the movie.

I've just finished reading "To Kill a Mockingbird", excellent book, one of the best I've read lately
Now I have to finish "Dubliners" and few others that I'm reading at the same time...
Is it only me or do other people do this as well, read several books at the same time?

vivaSA : I can't read several books at the same time. I did it at university because I was always late to finish them but when I read for my pleasure I read one book after the other. :)

PS great avatar viva SA, it used to be mine a few months ago ! ;)

Marie (reading The Object of My affection at the moment)

Back
Top Bottom