What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
<Steels herself for this to either drop to page 2 within seconds/receive lots of 'comedy' answers.

Well, it's been at least a week since the last Oasis thread and according to the B&C index there are only 20,104.5 Oasis threads on the whole of B&C! :ohmy: This puts Oasis over 1,000,000,443 threads behind Radiohead! :ohmy: So to right this blantent wrong I'm starting another Oasis thread! :happy:

<Does realise that starting an Oasis (a band that at least 50% of the people here hate) thread with a sarcastic opening which could be interpreted as slating Radiohead :uhoh: (the band that 95% of people here love) just might not be the best of ideas... :wink: Radiohead are OK really.

Anyway, Oasis. I was listening to HC yesterday and I really don't see why it's so disregarded as an album. Aside from having one of the worst titles in the history of album titles the songs themselves are nearly all fantastic:

1. The Hindu Times: :rockon: The opening roaring guitars, the catchy riff, delicious lyrics. What's not to like?

2. Force of Nature: :| Noel does Stompy Dad Rock. A style he revisits on Mucky Fingers. A style I hate but if you like that kinda thing then there's nothing wrong with this song at all.

3. Hung In a Bad Place: The mandatory noisy Gem song. Sure the lyrics don't make any real sense but who cares?! This song rocks along with Liam providing some of the best vocals in years.

4. Stop Crying Your Heart Out: It's an Oasis ballad. What more do you need to know? I loved it when it came out. Now I'm not so keen but I still like it. It's still a top song. :up:

5. Songbird: Altogether now. Awwwwww or :barf: whichever. Personally I like it. Liam nails the vocal with sweet lyrics, its got an upbeat feel and proves that when it comes to catchy, radio-friendly songs Liam's light years ahead of his brother.

6. Little By Little: A great song. A fantastic vocal from Noel, wonderful lyrics and an ace guitar solo in it.

7. A Quick Peep: A short instrumental. Largely pointless and most people will skip it. It's OK, good for what it is.

8. (Probably) All In The Mind: HORRIBLE vocal as Liam struggles to reach the high notes whilst Noel sings over him, reaching the high notes and warbling for 5 minutes. I quite like the lyrics but it's certainly more filler than killer.

9. She Is Love: All I'll say is, Noel could really learn some lessons from Liam on how to write quirky little lurve songs.

10. Born On A Different Cloud: OK. So Liam stole all the lyrics from John Lennon but this song still rocks.

11. Better Man: :dance: Love this song. It might be basic but you can dance to it so it's good enough for me.

HIDDEN TRACK:After fast-forwarding through 30 MINUTES of silence (a tad OTT don't you think?) you get to another instrumental. It's a good instrumental. Love the gospel effect on it.

So am I the only one who loves HC? Why are people so 'meh' towards it?

I just find their music too whiny, hence, i don't like this album.
I'm sick of the 'big' ones by this stage and really dislike Liam Gallager.
Other than that they're...........GREAT:wink:

I saw them tonight and they only played 'Songbird' from this album. Nice, but to not hear 'Hindu Times' or 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' was a surprise. 'Songbird' is probably the best thing on that album though so not too many complaints.

This is my second favorite Oasis album behind What's the Story... Ther other albums I've never been too keen on though they've had one or two good songs in each of them. What's your favorite Oasis album? I didn't really like their new album (released last year) too much.

Deamentia said:
What's your favorite Oasis album? I didn't really like their new album (released last year) too much.

My favourite album would either be The Masterplan or, if you're not gonna let me get away with naming a B-side collection as an album, probably Be Here Now. As an album yes it is far too bloated and long but the individual songs are good and I always love listening to any of the tracks off it...something I can't say of Definitely Maybe or WTSMG.

I'm still not sure about Don't Believe The Truth. I think it does show a 'comeback', you get the feeling they really have tried with this album, not like Standing On the Shoulders Of Giants where at least 3 of the songs on it were blantently unfinished IMO. However, there's something about the atmosphere on it that I don't really like...it sounds, I don't know, 'stripped' almost. I guess it doesn't have the fancy production of the last 3 (or it could be argued 4) albums which I miss. That said, there are strong songs on it, it's just the filler songs tend to be in a style that I don't like.

I've just remembered another thing about HC that I love: the B-sides. All of the B-sides that accompanied the singles on this album were excellent.

The album is ok. i really liked it for a bit but i bought The Strokes 'Is This It' a few weeks later, fell in love with that and kind of stopped listening to HC.

Songbird is fantastic though.

What I dislike from Heathen Chemistry are the songs that noel sings. I think 'She is love' is much too 'sweet' for a cool rockband like Oasis. I also don't like the ballad Stop crying your heart out. I think Oasis has to rock like on definetely maybe.

The rest of HC is ok. Born on a different cloud could indeed have been a lennon song, the hindu times I think is the lyla from HC and songbird is liams best written song.

This is how I rank the oasis albums:

1. Definetely maybe
2. Don't believe the truth
3. Be here now
4. What's the story morning glory
5. Standing on the shoulder of giants
6. Heathen chemistry
7. The masterplan

Heathen Chemistry is plastic Oasis..the album feels contrived, with the only gems being Hindu Times, Songbird and the b-side Idler's Dream (Born On A Different Cloud is good for an occasional listen too)

I'm so glad the follow-up was a great improvement.

Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Canadiens1160 said:

I think you just summarized Oasis' career.

Yes because EVERY Oasis song sounds like the Beatles..amazing how many people actually believe this myth.

I could never really get into HC, except for a few songs.

However, I think Don't Believe The Truth is amazing. I think it has an incredible atmosphere to it, however stripped-sounding it may be. I love how the songs flow all the way through.

Sleep Over Jack said:
the b-side Idler's Dream

I love this song. I listened to it on repeat for ages...Apparently Oasis are doing a Masterplan 2 to be released in 2007, this had better be on it. :madwife:

Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Sleep Over Jack said:

Yes because EVERY Oasis song sounds like the Beatles..amazing how many people actually believe this myth.

No, only the ones worth listening to :)

Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Sleep Over Jack said:

Yes because EVERY Oasis song sounds like the Beatles [...]

Not every song, just the good ones.

Nothing too bad with the album. Still beats most of the other garbage that is released every year.

Highlights are Hindu Times, Force of Nature, Songbird, Little By Little, She is Love

Just doesn't measure up to many of the other Oasis albums

I love this album, but it's not up there with my faves. The new album however.. :drool:

(Chases the haters out of the thread :madwife: )

I love "(Probably) All In the Mind." I think the prominent backing vocal is an intentional effect.

i think that the album, as a whole, just lacked the fire and attitude that earlier efforts had. even 'be here now', as bombastic as it was, had that inimitable gallagher sneer in songs like 'd'you know what i mean?'.
that being said, 'hindu times' is easily one of their best songs. i fucking love that song. 'little by little' and 'songbird' ain't far behind. the rest i can't even remember, and that's the problem.

one of the great things about that band, though, is the fact that they've never made an album that is out and out crap, beginning to end. there's always at least 2 or 3 corkers on every album. and their good songs are REALLY good. i can dislike an oasis album, but to make a greatest hits mix is really tough, as there are 3 songs from every album (at least) i can't live without. for me, definitely maybe, morning glory, DBTT, be here now are littered with gems, but even HC and SOTSOG have their jawdropping moments ('go let it out', 'who feels love?', 'fuckin' in the bushes'...):drool:
i think that about sums up my thoughts on the mater.:wink:

First off, there can never be enough Oasis threads, so keep 'em coming.

Secondly, I think HC is a great album. Sure, it's no Morning Glory or Definitely Maybe but it has some great tunes on it. I think Little By Little is right up there with the other Noel classics, like Don't Look Back in Anger, Sunday Morning Call, and The Masterplan. Stop Crying Your Heart Out is a great Oasis ballad. Songbird is a beautiful song. Hindu Times and Force of Nature both rock. And I actually love She is Love....

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

U2Man said:

No, only the ones worth listening to :)

Definitely Maybe isn't worth listening to?

The only Oasis tunes that sound "like the Beatles" to me are:

Wonderwall (vaguely)
Whatever
Round Are Way
Songbird
Let There Be Love
A Bell Will Ring
All In The Mind

So..from 6 albums, an EP, and the b-side collection Oasis have 7 songs that sound like the Beatles..wow. I think some confuse a 60s influence with a Beatles one, and are also taken in by Oasis vaguely looking like the Liverpool band.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Canadiens1160 said:

Not every song, just the good ones.

I thought you said it was their whole career? even if your above statement were true, what about tunes like Some Might Say? Supersonic? classic rock and roll songs that sound nothing like the Beatles. Definitely Maybe is arguable their best album and it has no Beatles influences as far as I can see. The influences on that album seem to be T-Rex, Sex Pistols, Neil Young And Crazy Horse etc. :)

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
Heathen Chemistry is plastic Oasis..the album feels contrived, with the only gems being Hindu Times, Songbird and the b-side Idler's Dream (Born On A Different Cloud is good for an occasional listen too)

I'm so glad the follow-up was a great improvement.

i love their b-sides. i've got them all through the first 3 albums, then lost track.
any chance someone could forward a couple of the best along?
craigmsmithmd@yahoo.com if you're willing and able.
cheers:wink:

I'm listening to Champagne Supernova radio on the official Oasis website. They've got an acoustic version of Up In The Sky with Noel on vocals. It's really :drool: ...but where's it from? All the other songs on there have been commercially released on at least one CD so I'm assuming this one has been too but where's it from? Anyone know?

^I'd love to help you Dudeman but I kinda lack the means to do so. Sorry. :hug: Not that I've got many of Oasis' B-sides myself... they need to release a B-side collection with ALL the flip sides on it! *bangs fist on table*

By the way, apparently Oasis are doing a single only release of a new song in May (The Boy With The Blues)...but it wouldn't surprise me if this never actually happens.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Sleep Over Jack said:

Definitely Maybe isn't worth listening to?

The only Oasis tunes that sound "like the Beatles" to me are:

Wonderwall (vaguely)
Whatever
Round Are Way
Songbird
Let There Be Love
A Bell Will Ring
All In The Mind

So..from 6 albums, an EP, and the b-side collection Oasis have 7 songs that sound like the Beatles..wow. I think some confuse a 60s influence with a Beatles one, and are also taken in by Oasis vaguely looking like the Liverpool band.

I'd add Don't Look Back In Anger to that list, as it is obviously a homage to Imagine (at least in the beginning), and while Imagine isn't the Beatles, it's close enough.

TheQuiet1 said:
I'm listening to Champagne Supernova radio on the official Oasis website. They've got an acoustic version of Up In The Sky with Noel on vocals. It's really :drool: ...but where's it from? All the other songs on there have been commercially released on at least one CD so I'm assuming this one has been too but where's it from? Anyone know?

The acoustic version of Up In The Sky is on the Live Forever cd single.

TheQuiet1 said:

^I'd love to help you Dudeman but I kinda lack the means to do so. Sorry. :hug: Not that I've got many of Oasis' B-sides myself... they need to release a B-side collection with ALL the flip sides on it! *bangs fist on table*

By the way, apparently Oasis are doing a single only release of a new song in May (The Boy With The Blues)...but it wouldn't surprise me if this never actually happens.

no sweat.:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

phanan said:

I'd add Don't Look Back In Anger to that list, as it is obviously a homage to Imagine (at least in the beginning), and while Imagine isn't the Beatles, it's close enough.

That is only a small part of the song..its a bit of stretch to call it a Beatle-clone really. ;)

Back
Top Bottom