What's wrong with Oasis's HC album? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:19 PM
What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

<Steels herself for this to either drop to page 2 within seconds/receive lots of 'comedy' answers.

Well, it's been at least a week since the last Oasis thread and according to the B&C index there are only 20,104.5 Oasis threads on the whole of B&C! This puts Oasis over 1,000,000,443 threads behind Radiohead! So to right this blantent wrong I'm starting another Oasis thread!

<Does realise that starting an Oasis (a band that at least 50% of the people here hate) thread with a sarcastic opening which could be interpreted as slating Radiohead (the band that 95% of people here love) just might not be the best of ideas... Radiohead are OK really.

Anyway, Oasis. I was listening to HC yesterday and I really don't see why it's so disregarded as an album. Aside from having one of the worst titles in the history of album titles the songs themselves are nearly all fantastic:

1. The Hindu Times: The opening roaring guitars, the catchy riff, delicious lyrics. What's not to like?

2. Force of Nature: Noel does Stompy Dad Rock. A style he revisits on Mucky Fingers. A style I hate but if you like that kinda thing then there's nothing wrong with this song at all.

3. Hung In a Bad Place: The mandatory noisy Gem song. Sure the lyrics don't make any real sense but who cares?! This song rocks along with Liam providing some of the best vocals in years.

4. Stop Crying Your Heart Out: It's an Oasis ballad. What more do you need to know? I loved it when it came out. Now I'm not so keen but I still like it. It's still a top song.

5. Songbird: Altogether now. Awwwwww or whichever. Personally I like it. Liam nails the vocal with sweet lyrics, its got an upbeat feel and proves that when it comes to catchy, radio-friendly songs Liam's light years ahead of his brother.

6. Little By Little: A great song. A fantastic vocal from Noel, wonderful lyrics and an ace guitar solo in it.

7. A Quick Peep: A short instrumental. Largely pointless and most people will skip it. It's OK, good for what it is.

8. (Probably) All In The Mind: HORRIBLE vocal as Liam struggles to reach the high notes whilst Noel sings over him, reaching the high notes and warbling for 5 minutes. I quite like the lyrics but it's certainly more filler than killer.

9. She Is Love: All I'll say is, Noel could really learn some lessons from Liam on how to write quirky little lurve songs.

10. Born On A Different Cloud: OK. So Liam stole all the lyrics from John Lennon but this song still rocks.

11. Better Man: Love this song. It might be basic but you can dance to it so it's good enough for me.

HIDDEN TRACK:After fast-forwarding through 30 MINUTES of silence (a tad OTT don't you think?) you get to another instrumental. It's a good instrumental. Love the gospel effect on it.

So am I the only one who loves HC? Why are people so 'meh' towards it?

Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
The Fly

I just find their music too whiny, hence, i don't like this album.
I'm sick of the 'big' ones by this stage and really dislike Liam Gallager.
Other than that they're...........GREAT

Old 02-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:19 PM
I saw them tonight and they only played 'Songbird' from this album. Nice, but to not hear 'Hindu Times' or 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' was a surprise. 'Songbird' is probably the best thing on that album though so not too many complaints.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 01:19 PM
This is my second favorite Oasis album behind What's the Story... Ther other albums I've never been too keen on though they've had one or two good songs in each of them. What's your favorite Oasis album? I didn't really like their new album (released last year) too much.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Deamentia
What's your favorite Oasis album? I didn't really like their new album (released last year) too much.
My favourite album would either be The Masterplan or, if you're not gonna let me get away with naming a B-side collection as an album, probably Be Here Now. As an album yes it is far too bloated and long but the individual songs are good and I always love listening to any of the tracks off it...something I can't say of Definitely Maybe or WTSMG.

I'm still not sure about Don't Believe The Truth. I think it does show a 'comeback', you get the feeling they really have tried with this album, not like Standing On the Shoulders Of Giants where at least 3 of the songs on it were blantently unfinished IMO. However, there's something about the atmosphere on it that I don't really like...it sounds, I don't know, 'stripped' almost. I guess it doesn't have the fancy production of the last 3 (or it could be argued 4) albums which I miss. That said, there are strong songs on it, it's just the filler songs tend to be in a style that I don't like.

I've just remembered another thing about HC that I love: the B-sides. All of the B-sides that accompanied the singles on this album were excellent.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The album is ok. i really liked it for a bit but i bought The Strokes 'Is This It' a few weeks later, fell in love with that and kind of stopped listening to HC.

Songbird is fantastic though.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

HC is a Oasis album I don't like, it has 2 great songs, and 2 classics, and the rest is terrible
Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
OK. So Liam stole all the lyrics from John Lennon but this song still rocks.
I think you just summarized Oasis' career.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Very droll!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 01:19 PM
What I dislike from Heathen Chemistry are the songs that noel sings. I think 'She is love' is much too 'sweet' for a cool rockband like Oasis. I also don't like the ballad Stop crying your heart out. I think Oasis has to rock like on definetely maybe.

The rest of HC is ok. Born on a different cloud could indeed have been a lennon song, the hindu times I think is the lyla from HC and songbird is liams best written song.

This is how I rank the oasis albums:

1. Definetely maybe
2. Don't believe the truth
3. Be here now
4. What's the story morning glory
5. Standing on the shoulder of giants
6. Heathen chemistry
7. The masterplan
Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Refugee

Heathen Chemistry is plastic Oasis..the album feels contrived, with the only gems being Hindu Times, Songbird and the b-side Idler's Dream (Born On A Different Cloud is good for an occasional listen too)

I'm so glad the follow-up was a great improvement.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Refugee

Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Yes because EVERY Oasis song sounds like the Beatles..amazing how many people actually believe this myth.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 AM
I could never really get into HC, except for a few songs.

However, I think Don't Believe The Truth is amazing. I think it has an incredible atmosphere to it, however stripped-sounding it may be. I love how the songs flow all the way through.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
the b-side Idler's Dream
I love this song. I listened to it on repeat for ages...Apparently Oasis are doing a Masterplan 2 to be released in 2007, this had better be on it.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with Oasis's HC album?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack

Yes because EVERY Oasis song sounds like the Beatles..amazing how many people actually believe this myth.
No, only the ones worth listening to