What's the worst natural disaster you've ever been through? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:19 PM
What's the worst natural disaster you've ever been through?

Seeing as today is the 15th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew coming through my town and blowing everything to smithereens, I've wondered what else we've experienced on this board.
Sandstorms? Tornadoes? Earthquakes? Landslides? Avalanches?

A category five hurricane that struck hardest in a town called Homestead about 15 or so miles away from where I lived then.
My dad drove us around our neighborhood right after the storm and there wasn't a tree left standing. The roof of a strip mall was on the road (it was a metal roof, weird).
We had no power for two weeks, either. Fun.
Nothing too serious happened to myself or my family, but I still remember that night vividly. We had a "hurricane drill" where my parents put my brother and I into the bathroom cabinets under the sink and they sat with their backs to the doors holding them down and keeping us inside. I laughed through it because I was only a kid, but once I got older I realized that the roof could have easily blown off and we would have been forced to stay in that dark space not knowing what was happening to our parents outside.

Your stories, please!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I've experienced a number of major So CA earthquakes from the late 1960's until recently but thankfully have never suffered the misfortune like the others in our community...

In the early 1970's, my first wife and I traveled to Arkansas during tornado season and experienced several runs for the storm cellar; its the same season that nearby Jonesboro blew away...wanna say 1973 or 1974...

Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:19 PM
I live in Philadelphia, so thankfully we usually only get the tail end of hurricanes, and practically no tornadoes, no earthquakes. The Blizzard of 96 happened on my birthday in 96 and snowed us in for quite a while.

The worst that I can think would happen to my family now is a long power outage, due to my brother's diabetic medication needing to stay refrigerated.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

May 18, 1980, Yakima, Washington. 8:32 a.m. The Mt. St. Helens volcano, which was about 70 miles away from my family's house, erupted. The sky went pitch black and rained hot ash for 24 hours. When the ash cloud had passed, the sky was yellow for another 2-3 days, because there was so much ash in the atmosphere, and the ground was covered in six inches of gray ash. It was a FEMA disaster and no one was allowed outside without wearing a surgical mask. School was cancelled for a week. I was only 6 but I remember it so vividly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_er...unt_St._Helens
Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
May 18, 1980, Yakima, Washington. 8:32 a.m. The Mt. St. Helens volcano, which was about 70 miles away from my family's house, erupted. The sky went pitch black and rained hot ash for 24 hours. When the ash cloud had passed, the sky was yellow for another 2-3 days, because there was so much ash in the atmosphere, and the ground was covered in six inches of gray ash. It was a FEMA disaster and no one was allowed outside without wearing a surgical mask. School was cancelled for a week. I was only 6 but I remember it so vividly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_er...unt_St._Helens
I remember people putting ash in jars and selling it...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 07:19 AM
I suppose the Nisqually Earthquake of 2001? 6.8 on the Richter scale. I was driving off the exit ramp 30 miles south of Seattle when it hit. Shook my car around a bit -- kinda freaky. Really spooked the dog. But I wasn't affected by any damage.

Other than that, probably a New England ice storm or blizzard when I was a kid.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Hurrican Gloria in the 80's
Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
In 1991, Omaha had a terrible snowstorm on Halloween. The mayors actually had to cancel Halloween because the conditions were so bad. I remember looking outside that night and seeing no signs of life at all. It was surreal.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 AM

THere have been several storms with tornadoes and nasty ice storms.

But the main three are Hurrican Isabel, Tropical Storm Gaston which just sat on top of us and rotated and didn't go anywhere for hours, and Tropical Storm Ernesto which flooded my car last year. I stupidly drove on the interstate during that one
Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Thankfully none yet... that I can remember at least!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I can't believe it's been 4 years already. San Diego Firestorm 2003. I haven't researched the numbers but I quickly grabbed these statistics from someones personal blog. All three of these fires were burning at the same time. I lived (and still live) within a mile of where the Cedar Fire was burning.

Cedar Fire: 280,293 acres burned, 2,232 homes lost, 22 businesses lost, 14 deaths, 91 injuries

Paradise Fire: 56,700 acres burned, 179 homes lost, 2 deaths, 20 firefighters injured

Otay Fire: 46,291 acres burned, 1 home lost
Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
The Fly

The 1971 Sylmar (Los Angeles) earthquake hit on my 17th birthday on 2/9/71. That was a bad one.

I know, I know, a lot of people on this board weren't even born yet.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I live in Philadelphia, so thankfully we usually only get the tail end of hurricanes, and practically no tornadoes, no earthquakes. The Blizzard of 96 happened on my birthday in 96 and snowed us in for quite a while.

The worst that I can think would happen to my family now is a long power outage, due to my brother's diabetic medication needing to stay refrigerated.
I live in northern Virginia, so it is pretty much the same for me. Hurricane Isabel made land fall just south of here in 2003 as a category 2 here. Given that don't we don't get a lot of hurricanes, asides from the tail end, the area was totally unprepared. I live on the top floor of a condo building, and I stayed outside for a good while and thought it was pretty neat. But after a while, it just got scary. A tree smashed the roof of the building right next door and a few cars came out on the losing end of tree battles. Plus, the power company couldn't deal with all the outages, so we were without power for two weeks in the middle of a pretty good sized town right outside of DC.

There was a lot of damage, but in the end, the hardest part was the power being out for so long. Hotel rooms were hard to get, and a lot of friends were in the same position (I don't have family in the area), but I probably only spent a week of that at home. I am lucky and I know it. And it may be a horrible thing to say, especially when so many people lose everything when hurricanes hit, but I thought it was an experience of a lifetime.

There was also a tornado that touched down in the field behind the house where I grew up, in Ohio. It was fairly minor as far as tornadoes go, and my brother and I thought (and still think) it was the coolest thing ever.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Summer '04 when 4 hurricanes hit Central Florida in a period of about a month. No a/c and electricity for a week is absolutely brutal, I hope you guys never have to go through it. Thankfully our house wasn't damages too badly, just some shingles blown away.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
The Male

Local Time: 06:19 PM
We had a tornado here once.

Oh, and Hurricane Isabel. It rained for a few hours and was pretty windy.