What's the greatest single of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Fuckin' Jude, simply for putting out a single of that length. 3 minutes is still the norm so it's a ballsy move by todays standards even.

Canadiens1160 said:
Hey Fuckin' Jude, simply for putting out a single of that length. 3 minutes is still the norm so it's a ballsy move by todays standards even.

thats the second best single of all time :up:

namkcuR said:
Why are we still talking about Penny Lane?

IT WAS ON MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR!

yes, 9 months after it was released on single, it was put on magical mystery tour

...which some people wouldnt call a proper album anyway...

point is, it was a single way before it was ever put on any album.

and the best one ever. imagine being able to put something like strawberry fields on a single as a b-side? unbelievable.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

yes, 9 months after it was released on single, it was put on magical mystery tour

...which some people wouldnt call a proper album anyway...

It doesn't matter when the album was released in relation to the single, Penny Lane was still on it.

And it was only an EP when it originally was released on vinyl. Beatles included it as a CD album when they released the box set that's been circulation since 1988.

No way I can consider Penny Lane a stand-alone.

namkcuR said:

No way I can consider Penny Lane a stand-alone.

in february, 1967, you would have had to, all the way to november that year, because no one knew that it would ever be put on any album.

so, for 9 months it was a stand-alone.

U2Man said:

in february, 1967, you would have had to, all the way to november that year, because no one knew that it would ever be put on any album.

so, for 9 months it was a stand-alone.

Beautiful Day was released a month before ATYCLB.

Vertigo was released two months before Bomb.

Were they stand alone singles?

Of course those U2 songs don't count - they were recorded as part of an album, and were always attached to their respective albums.

I would consider Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever a stand-alone single. It was released as a single without being attached to an album, and it was decided later to add it to another album.

A lot of singles eventually end up on some album sometime. Do you count soundtracks? Or greatest hits compilations? Is there anything released these days that doesn't eventually end up on an album of some kind?

namkcuR said:

Beautiful Day was released a month before ATYCLB.

Vertigo was released two months before Bomb.

Were they stand alone singles?

no, they were obvious 1st singles from albums, whose release dates were already announced, just like it was already announced that these songs were to be put on these albums. they served only one purpose: to advertise the new album.

its a completely different thing with penny lane. it was released as a single, and only a single. then 9 months later, it was decided to be used on a soundtrack.

U2Man said:
good vibrations was on an album.

With your reasoning, it wasn't. Good Vibration was released in October/November 1966 (only a few months after Pet Sounds came out). Apparently, the Smiley Smile album wasn't released until September 1967 (a full 10 months after the single), an album 'cobbled together' by the record company because Brian Wilson couldn't finish it/record any further.

anyway, penny lane kicks its behind.

Erm, no. Penny Lane falls behind.
Brian Wilson is McCartney and Lennon in one. Plus with some more genius added to come up with these small symphonies.
:bow:

Popmartijn said:

With your reasoning, it wasn't. Good Vibration was released in October/November 1966 (only a few months after Pet Sounds came out). Apparently, the Smiley Smile album wasn't released until September 1967 (a full 10 months after the single), an album 'cobbled together' by the record company because Brian Wilson couldn't finish it/record any further.

Erm, no. Penny Lane falls behind.
Brian Wilson is McCartney and Lennon in one. Plus with some more genius added to come up with these small symphonies.
:bow:

ok, good vibrations is in the game then.

brian wilson is awesome. yes.

but no, he did not write the same amount of stellar material as the guys you mentioned. and no, there is not the same variety in the beach boys catalogue as you see in the beatles catalogue.

penny lane kicks any beach boys song's behind :drool:

hell even the b-side, strawberry fields, does :drool:

Strawberry Fields is double a-side single along with Penny Lane, I believe.

not a b-side.

thats true. well, the point remains.

penny lane does sound a bit like god only knows, btw. :hmm:

Last edited:
U2Man said:
but no, he did not write the same amount of stellar material as the guys you mentioned. and no, there is not the same variety in the beach boys catalogue as you see in the beatles catalogue.
have you even heard Sail on Sailor, Cuddle up, Funky pretty, Forever, Until I die, My sweet love ???

Brian Wilson is a god like figure even compared to the beatles yes

Salome said:
have you even heard Sail on Sailor, Cuddle up, Funky pretty, Forever, Until I die, My sweet love ???

Brian Wilson is a god like figure even compared to the beatles yes

indeed i have, i own quite a few beach boys albums, actually. i'm a fan. but you're descending into their not-so-great material here.

I don't even want to go into the quality debate here (Funky Pretty, Sail on Sailor, Until I die 'not so great' ........)
but wasn't your argument that The Beach Boys catalogue had less variety?

well, it does. especially because when they did try to make something different, the quality often dropped.

we all know what kind of songs they were best at.

i think you and popmarty are just trying to talk up brian wilson because the beach boys made an album called Holland while the beatles chose to get popular in hamburg. :tsk:

i mostly talk them up because they towered over the beatles like the aussie cricket team towers over the pommies and they don't get the recognition :wink:

the holland album does help though :p

I think Wilson was able to go insane perfectly well on his own without any help from anyone except his drugs dealer(s)

and the eventually released Smile towers over Sgt. Peppers in ways uninmaginable to the human brain :D

Back
Top Bottom