What's the difference between a bridge and a middle eight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.articles2k.com/article/25/20295/Creating_The_Perfect_Structure_For_Your_Song/

Middle eight

As a song progresses, there's a danger of boredom setting for the listener. The middle eight offers them a break and typically comes after a couple of verses and choruses. Some people think of it as an alternative verse and that's one way to look at it. It often modulates to a different key or introduces a new chord progression and it usually doesn't include the song title. However, all too often it's simply an excuse for waffling on for a few bars. Although it's called the middle eight it could be four or sixteen bars long.

Bridge

Many people use the terms 'middle eight' and 'bridge' synonymously and so popular is this usage that it would be churlish to disagree. However, among those who prefer to note the difference, a bridge is a short section used to bridge the gap between verse and chorus. It may only be two or four bars long and it's often used when the verse and chorus are so different from each other that a 'joining' phrase helps bring them together.

So it appears that "bridges" are shorter in length and to use that term synonymously with "middle-eight" would be incorrect. :hmm:

From LemonMelon's definitions it appears that...

Taking say, COBL as example:

"And I miss you when you're not around
I'm getting ready to leave the ground"

= bridge

"time won't leave me as I am
time won't take the boy out of this man"

= middle 8

hmmmmm :hmm:
very interesting!

I seems that even artists don't seem to know exactly the diference between them both cause I've seen them calling the same thing of both names. A bridge seems to be what I called a pre-chorus. But it makes sense though and COBL is a good exemple. :yes:

Thanks for the answer Lemon. :up:

Yeah I would think bridge is more often a different vocal pattern whereas a middle 8 might more often be a solo or different musical pattern (but not always...)

"I can't find the bridge!"
Led Zeppelin - The Crunge

A middle 8 is simply eight bars of a song that are of a different tempo, and sometimes key than the rest of the song.

Bridge, same thing, but can be fewer or more bars.

Synonymous really.

Back
Top Bottom