whats the biggest american band today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
i guess this is mostly a question for all americans. which american band is biggest (in the u2 way)?

1stepcloser said:

that could be it. despite being U2's age, they still seem to be hip. youngsters like them, oldsters like them, everyone likes them :shrug:

we'll have to see how Green Day's next album goes. They may have been the biggest a couple years ago, but now not as much

there's also rap to consider...though I guess that doesn't count as "bands." but these days rap is bigger than rock for the most part, in the States at least

AtomicBono said:

we'll have to see how Green Day's next album goes. They may have been the biggest a couple years ago, but now not as much

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to that one. :slant:

RHCP in a category of their own.
Then somewhere below them, Greenday.
Then well below them, Foo Fighters.
Then well below them, but with the momentum of hype behind them, The Killers.
Pearl Jam are still a huge force, but if you are talking the combo of pull that creates and generates attention, they have dropped off a bit and I think are working mostly off an established base.

I gotta say the Chili Peppers, there are a very select group of people I have met who do not like them.

And if teenage America likes someone, you better watch out, it's in full force.

RHCP, Green Day......All-American Rejects :wink: JK

Rolling Stones? they're American, right? :huh:

EDIT: my mom said they are in fact NOT American :lol: sure shows what i know!

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I gotta say the Chili Peppers, there are a very select group of people I have met who do not like them.

I like their singles, I can't say I've enjoyed many of the other tracks.

I hope Green Day don't go out to create American Idiot II...In the same way that Muse COULD have Made Absoultion II , but went in a different direction.

I'm not expecting something as good as what American Idiot....but I'm sure they produce something good.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I've never met you but can I be considered in that select group anyway? I've never cared for the Chili Peppers. :wink:

I've got a 3rd row center floor seat for RHCP next week in San Antonio and I'm passing it up. They suck live, from what I've seen, and they aren't a $60 concert ticket band. I feel like all their songs sound alike, Kiedas can't sing live, and there is very little about their music that I'd consider inspired.

I will agree that they're the biggest American band. However I'd argue that Wilco is the best American band.

Screwtape2 said:
Sadly, Green Day. :(

Gladly, Green Day :wink:

It's a toss up between RHCP and Green Day I reckon.

The BEST American band is the Gin Blossoms...with The Rembrandts a close second.

U2Man said:
i guess this is mostly a question for all americans. which american band is biggest (in the u2 way)?

1. Green Day

2. Bon Jovi
3. Metallica
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Green Day wins on the strength of the sales of their last album which has sold more than the latest studio releases by Bon Jovi, Metallica, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, combined! As a concert drawing act, Green Day is still a little behind Metallica and a little ahead of the Chili Peppers. Bon Jovi is the clear leader in the concert drawing catagory for American bands in the United States.

Overall though, none of these bands dominate in the way that say an American Band like Pearl Jam dominated in the early 1990s or Metallica back in that time frame as well, in the United States.

Overall, Green Day clearly wins out, and Bon Jovi is just slightly ahead of Metallica and the Chili Peppers. For the most part its very close between them all and none of them are dominating the US market in the way many American bands have been able to in the past.

I'm a fan of alot of American bands over the years, especially Pearl Jam or older bands like Van Halen or the Doors. But looking at what is a huge global band like U2, rock and roll on that scale for a US band is in a sorry state of affairs I think. Compared to where it should be. Green Day?

No.1 definitely the Red Hot Chili Peppers

...2 Metallica - 3 Green Day - 4 Pear Jam - 5 Tool

Sting are those figures just for the US market? What about globally for US bands?

Correction: The Chilis are probably the biggest US band, but I think that Pearl Jam is the best. The Chilis are one of my favorites too.

Back
Top Bottom