whats the biggest american band today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:

It's a shame Hinder is Canadian or I would nominate them as well.... THEY R AWESOME!!!!11

No, sadly they are from my hometown of Oklahoma City.
Generic corporate ass rock deluxe, not something I am proud of.

In an effort of redemption, I must remind y'all that The Flaming Lips are from here as well. And they are at least one of the top 5 bands in the States.

Re: Re: whats the biggest american band today?

STING2 said:

1. Green Day

2. Bon Jovi
3. Metallica
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers

:hug: the people of america :hug:

U2DMfan said:

No, sadly they are from my hometown of Oklahoma City.
Generic corporate ass rock deluxe, not something I am proud of.

In an effort of redemption, I must remind y'all that The Flaming Lips are from here as well. And they are at least one of the top 5 bands in the States.

RIGHT THE FUCK ON!!!

This is one of the first times I've been proud someone isn't Canadian!:happy:

Now... What about Celine Dion? :hmm:

indra said:

I've never met you but can I be considered in that select group anyway? I've never cared for the Chili Peppers. :wink:

consider it done :up:

yep, The Flaming Lips are the best American band in terms of quality, and they aren't super obscure/indietastic, so that counts for something.

The "Biggest" American band is probably RHCP unfortunately. But I'll echo the statements that Wilco and/or The Flaming Lips are the BEST American Band today...and possibly still R.E.M. if they shape up for their next album.

Lila64 said:
where does Aerosmith fit in the scheme of things :shrug:

When I saw them in that horrible, horrible, horrible (and horrible) movie Be Cool, I knew they were done.

No retarded comeback a la the '90s, they're done.

I'm pretty sure the real members of Aerosmith died of a collective drug overdose and were replaced by SelloutBots.

The same thing happened to Coldplay sometime in 2004.

did anyone mention Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band? :shrug:
Tom Petty? I guess they aren't big anymore, at least not the latter. Or I'm old. That's probably the latter too. :sigh:

I am LAME!

:scratch:

All these bands you guys are mentioning have less than six members.

I would have to say that the biggest band in America is probably one of those marching Bands! :up:

Lila64 said:
did anyone mention Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band? :shrug:
Tom Petty? I guess they aren't big anymore, at least not the latter. Or I'm old. That's probably the latter too. :sigh:

Well, the thread was bands, and while Bruce and Petty have their own bands, they are really considered more of a solo artist.

If it was any artist, Springsteen would have to be included in perhaps the top five. While his album sales are not what they once were, he still packs them in on tour.

LJT said:
Sting are those figures just for the US market? What about globally for US bands?

Those figures are just for the US market. Globally for US bands it would look like this:

1.) Green Day
2.) Red Hot Chili Peppers
3.) Bon Jovi
4.) Metallica

You could make the arguement that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are in a tie for #1 because of their much stronger concert drawing strength overseas, but Green Day's last album still has 2 to 1 margin over the Chili's last album, and despite better concert drawing strength worldwide, I don't think its enough to make up the difference between the albums.

Remember, this is just US bands "currently" in the global market, based on the sales of the latest album and concert tour.

I'm trying to think if I left any bands out when were talking about a US bands globally. I don't think so. REM used to be big and they still are in Europe as for as concert drawing strength, but their album and concert sales in North America are so small now, plus album sales in Europe although better are not large.

Lila64 said:
where does Aerosmith fit in the scheme of things :shrug:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but their last album was "Just Push Play", which sold 1 million copies in the USA. They have done arena tours since then, but have had to enlist the support of Kiss on one tour, and Motley Crue last year. Business with the extra support was ok, but nothing that would make them competitive. Aerosmith were much bigger back in the early 90s, or even in the late 90s.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
green day.

but you have to give pearl jam some consideration considering how they shun the media as much as possible and still have a rather large following.

Pearl Jam have always promoted themselves like every other band on the radio. They tour like other bands do. The only other factor really relevant to sales were the video's, and because MTV essentially stopped playing them during normal hours, that has not been a factor in over a decade. If anything, Pearl Jam's decision not to do video's and "shun" the media was actually itself an attention getter back in the early 90s grunge scene.

Pearl Jam came back in 2006 with video's and I believe a magazine cover or two, and they sold just over 600,000 copies, less than the previous album did.

Pearl Jam still has good concert drawing strength but its not enough to off set their album sales or make them competitive for being in the top 5 let alone #1.

It's quality not quantity.

Pearl Jam is easily the best album since Vitalogy. I'm not saying the albums in between are horrible, not by any stretch, but Pearl Jam is THAT good.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's quality not quantity.

Pearl Jam is easily the best album since Vitalogy. I'm not saying the albums in between are horrible, not by any stretch, but Pearl Jam is THAT good.

Pearl Jam is my favorite American Band and I do think they are the best, but this thread is not about who is best, but who is biggest currently.

Yeah, you're right. Have digital downloads finally figured into album sales yet?

I'm really out of the loop.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Yeah, you're right. Have digital downloads finally figured into album sales yet?

I'm really out of the loop.

Yep, they are counted.

posterpf4.jpg

How about The Dismemberment Plan? I found them on indietastic.net. They have approximately 7 fans now. :drool: They've been around forever, so they're veterans.

Back
Top Bottom