What's the best song of the 80's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
"In Your Eyes" was on the radio the other day, and when it ended, the DJ was like "I think that's the best song of the 80's." Now, I agree with him, but I've always been obsessed with the song, so I'm sure I'm biased.

It got me thinking, in a decade that produced a whole lot of CRAP, what do you think are the rare jems that stand out as the best songs of the 80's? And why - do they have sentimental value to you or is it because of the music itself?

I don't think there is one best of anything out there. And I don't think that the decade was overwhelmed with crap--there's just as much crap there as say, the 90s for example. Sorry, just being difficult :wink:

But "In Your Eyes" is an excellent choice...but not my absolute favorite.

the 80's was the last decade that the singles charts actually still had some decent music in them:
talking heads, talk talk, the police

madonna, michael jackson and prince (though not popular favourites for me) were about the best chart icons we've had

+ of course
U2 and R.E.M. were awesome

best song:
R.E.M. - World Leader Pretend

song that should be on every 80's compilation:
Mental as Anything - Live it Up

:D

"In Your Eyes"=:heart:. What a beautiful song. Definitely not just one of Peter Gabriel's best songs ever, but one of the best songs of all time.

Also, "Puttin' On The Ritz" kicks arse. :).

Anywho...wow, that's a good question. Rather hard, though, 'cause I can think of quite a few excellent songs that came from that decade, so it'd be awfully hard to pick just one.

I dunno. I'll have to think about this one.

Angela

Salome said:
the 80's was the last decade that the singles charts actually still had some decent music in them:
talking heads, talk talk, the police

madonna, michael jackson and prince (though not popular favourites for me) were about the best chart icons we've had

+ of course
U2 and R.E.M. were awesome

Well, the 90s weren't bad either. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis (though not really a favourite), Blur, Chemical Brothers, etc.

this has been an ongoing debate with me and my buds for quite some time now. to me, the best 80s stuff has to fall in categories:

fun silly dance fluff: you spin me round, dead or alive (honourable mention to love shack by the b-52s)

cheesy ballad: if you leave, omd

early 80s new wave invasion: i ran, flock of seagulls

etc...

i never include u2, the cure, rem, the smiths, joy division, the police, the pixies, depeche mode... as 80s tunes. i know they technically are, but i still listen to this stuff now and it's still amazing.

As the member of the Hall and Oates lobby I will suggest we nominate "Maneater".

If I didn't have this obligation to the H+O firm I'd pick "Take on Me" as a definitive 1980's track.

As a member of the Hall and Oates lobby I feel compelled to nominate "Maneater".

However, my heart says the definitive 80's track was "Take on Me" by A-ha.

The Unforgettable Fire - indisputably the greatest song of the 80s, in fact ever, with the possible exception of a little song called Gas Panic which I plug with every avaliable opportunity...

bruce springsteen--the river

a whole decade of music after that song can't compete with its greatness.

(note: i'm sure i'll change my mind in a few minutes)

Last edited:
I do love Peter Gabriel and "Red Rain" is a particular favorite, but since I am at heart a hard core fan of The Church, I have to go with "Under the Milky Way." That song began my long term love affair with that band, and I will always adore it. Plus it really is an incredible song.

beli said:
The 80's Church, what about Almost with You.

Good choice as well, and I also love "Tantalized," as it really captures the excesses of the 80's (or at least SK's excesses....)

As long as you don't say "Maybe These Boys" we'll be OK... Gawd! What a horrid song!

Dont dream its over- Crowded House
SBS & Pride- U2
Throw your arms around me- Hunters and Collectors
Beds are burning- Midnight Oil
Little lies- Fleetwood Mac
Before to long- Paul Kelly
Be good Johnny- Men at work
Much to late for goodbyes- Julian Lennon
Aloha Steve and Danno- Radio Birdman
close to me- the cure
You can call me Al- Paul Simon

and on the daggy side....
take on me- A-Ha
the reflex- Duran Duran

Ooohh, another song I think of as quintessential 80's is "Tenderness" by General Public. Nowhere near as good as UTMW (which I mentioned above), but I always enjoyed that song.

^^^^Aw, yeah, I like that song, too. :).

indra said:
I do love Peter Gabriel and "Red Rain" is a particular favorite,

That is a good song. :yes:.

Originally posted by indra
but since I am at heart a hard core fan of The Church, I have to go with "Under the Milky Way."

:up:. Another great song.

Also...

Originally posted by OzAurora
Dont dream its over- Crowded House
SBS & Pride- U2
Beds are burning- Midnight Oil
Little lies- Fleetwood Mac
Be good Johnny- Men at work
Much to late for goodbyes- Julian Lennon
You can call me Al- Paul Simon

and on the daggy side....
take on me- A-Ha
the reflex- Duran Duran

...gotta give a :up: to these songs, too (and let's throw "With Or Without You" in there, too. That's definitely one of the best songs from that decade (hell, of all time), in my opinion).

Angela

I've thought long and hard about this for years (well, since 1990 i guess) and my 2 favorite 80's songs were chosen because i think they represent the 1980's best:

Saftey Dance - Men w/o Hats
One Night in Bangkok - Murray Head

Rare gems indeed !! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom