What's happening with Wynona Ryder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U all prob know this anyway!

BEVERLY HILLS (Reuters) - Winona Ryder endured her most damaging day in court so far on Wednesday as a witness testified seeing her in a posh Beverly Hills dressing room -- not trying on designer clothes but cutting security tags off handbags and leaving stains from a bleeding finger on one of them. Minutes later, the jury in her trial on charges of shoplifting was shown the alleged haul of rhinestone hairbows worth over $100 each, cashmere socks with an $80 price tag, and designer tops retailing at around $700 apiece that were said to have been found stuffed in Ryder's bags and hidden on her person.

Ryder, who spent her 31st birthday on Tuesday in court watching her own videotaped arrest last December, sat silently glaring, sometimes shaking her head, as each of the items and prices were read out to the gasps of a packed courtroom.

The "Girl, Interrupted" star has pleaded not guilty to charges of grand theft, second-degree burglary and vandalism for allegedly walking out of the Saks Fifth Avenue store with more than $5,500 in items she did not pay for in a Beverly Hills shopping spree last December 12.

Her lawyer, Mark Geragos, has said Ryder is innocent of the charges and was singled out by overzealous prosecutors and security staff "who got out of control" because of her celebrity status.

He has sought to punch holes in the testimony of Saks security staff, grilling them on minor inconsistencies in their various initial statements to police and prosecutors.

Geragos said Ryder had left her credit card with the store that day -- but two Saks sales assistants who helped Ryder denied that her account had been left open or that she had VIP privileges allowing her to remove items on approval.

Former Saks security officer Colleen Rainey told the jury on Wednesday that she was sent to observe the two-time Oscar nominee through the slats of a second-floor dressing room door after Ryder aroused the suspicions of the store's security chief.

Rainy said the first thing she saw was Ryder kneeling on the floor, tending to a cut on a bleeding finger.

"I saw her looking over items she had taken in -- several pairs of socks, hair accessories, a hat, a blouse. She was kind of organizing them. Then she entered into her handbag and grabbed a pair of scissors and started cutting sensor tags off," Rainey said.

Rainey said she saw Ryder cut out the sensor tags from two handbags and attempt to remove tags from two other bags. Two spots of blood were found on one -- a Calvin Klein purse with a $795 price tag.

The actress then removed tissue paper from a plastic bag and wrapped some of the socks, hats and hairbows before hiding them in her shopping bag, Rainey said.

"Did you ever see her trying on clothes?" prosecutor Ann Rundle asked. "No," Rainey replied.

Rainey said Ryder gave different explanations after being detained by Saks store outside the store, allegedly without paying.

Ryder's first comment, Rainey said, was "Didn't my assistant pay for it?" She later told Saks staff that she was preparing for a role as a shoplifter in a forthcoming movie called "Shop Girl." Rainey said Ryder told a similar story later that day to Beverly Hills police but then described the movie as a police crime drama called "White Jazz."

"I am doing a role. My director told me to try out shoplifting. I should have told the store beforehand," Rainey recalled Ryder as saying.

Saks security chief, Kenneth Evans, on Wednesday denied having vowed to "nail" Ryder over the incident, which was caught on a 90-minute video surveillance tape.

The video shows the petite actress wandering around the store, struggling to keep hold of several shopping bags while piling merchandise both on top of, and underneath, a large garment bag draped over her arm.

Ryder could face a prison term of up to three years if convicted. It is not known whether she will take the stand in her own defense in what is expected to be a 7-day trial.

The list of items allegedly stolen or vandalized by Ryder is as follows:

Marc Jacobs thermal top

$760

Yves Saint Laurent blouse

$750

Natori handbag

$540

Dolce & Gabbana handbag

$525

2 black beaded purses

$55 each

Eric Javitz hat

$225

Eric Javitz hat

$350

Black rhinestone hairband

$140

Black rhinestone ponytail holder

$120

Black rhinestone hairclip

$110

Black rhinestone hair bow

$110

Purple Calvin Klein socks

$16.50

Gray Calvin Klein socks

$16.50

2 pairs Saks cream socks

$38 each

Gray Calvin Klein socks

$16.50

Brown Donna Karan socks

$20

Beige cashmere blend socks

$80

White Gucci

:ohmy:

Winnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What have u done girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh nooo!. Poor Saks. I mean 5,000 dollars would have been *such* a blow for them considering how high the price tags are on every damn thing they sell.
I am sorry but it is just stupid.
Victemless crime...

God dang! those are some pricey things! She should have gone to Ross Dress for Less.

Seriously, I think she was set up. Why would she steal? She can afford them. Doesn't make sense.

nellie said:
Why would she steal? She can afford them. Doesn't make sense.

I know what you mean Nellie, but many people who can well afford things steal them anyway, for other psychological reasons.

I know I have heard she has had her share of problems, w/ depression, etc. I'm not knocking her, she's probably a very sweet gal..but she also shouldn't be allowed to get away w/ this if she's guilty.

:shrug:

notiti said:
Oh nooo!. Poor Saks. I mean 5,000 dollars would have been *such* a blow for them considering how high the price tags are on every damn thing they sell.
Victemless crime...

Victimless? Really? And even if it is "victimless," does that make it right? How?

~U2Alabama

notiti said:

The reason why prices are so high in stores is *because* of shoplifters. Have you ever worked in a retail store and done inventory? You'd be amazed at how much stuff is stolen.

My daughter works at a Blockbuster video store. On average, on weekend days (that is Friday through Sunday), they get around 15-20 video games stolen per day. I was blow away when she told me this.

notiti said:
Victemless crime...

So stealing is okay as long its in a high priced store?

When anyone steals $5,000 worth of merchandise from any store, high priced or not, its a crime.

Because Saks charges outrageous prices, they should just open their doors and let celebrities who earn million dollar paychecks just walk out with whatever their little hearts desire? I don't think so.

nellie said:
God dang! those are some pricey things! She should have gone to Ross Dress for Less.

Seriously, I think she was set up. Why would she steal? She can afford them. Doesn't make sense.

She steals for the same reason company executives with really big salaries feel the need to skim more money off the company. Andrew Fastow, the Chief Financial Officer for Enron, just got indicted today on 78 counts of fraud and the guy had a great salary -- a whole lot more than most of us make. Don't assume that because someone has money that they aren't crooks.

Ok, yes I have thought maybe she could be guilty of stealing, and maybe I just didnt want to admit that one of my favorite actresses is a klepto. Either she was set up, which I think she was, or she really has some serious issues to deal with. I never thought it was about the money, but maybe something psychological like Gina Marie said. if she's guilty, then she should go to jail, and I really hope she can get some psychological help too.

The girl obviously has some problems. She'll probably be spending a little time in jail, but I doubt she will have it too rough. She'll go to one of those "country club" jails.

Maybe she needs a new therapist.

Hey, when I woke up this mornin - and first can I just say...

WE DONT HAVE SKY SO I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE START OF THE OSBOURNES TONIGHT! :hyper::hyper:

sorry :wink:

but its true!

anyway, as I was dressin, with Darcy round my legs, I heard more news on the case.....and heard...(my ears were ringin this mornin)...somethin brief about phone numbers from/to (?) Winona stolen (???) and BONOS NAME was mentioned!!!!!!

:hyper:

Bonos name and someone elses (I keep thinkin I heard Kevin Spacey's) but unsure, I just know that Bonos name was DEFINATELY mentioned!!!!!!

Anyone know about this wee bit hey?

Last edited:
mad1 said:

anyway, as I was dressin, with Darcy round my legs, I heard more news on the case.....and heard...(my ears were ringin this mornin)...somethin brief about phone numbers from/to (?) Winona stolen (???) and BONOS NAME was mentioned!!!!!!

:hyper:

Bonos name and someone elses (I keep thinkin I heard Kevin Spacey's) but unsure, I just know that Bonos name was DEFINATELY mentioned!!!!!!

Anyone know about this wee bit hey?

Apparently Winona's lawyer was trying to discredit the female security guard who claims to have witnessed her cutting off the security tags in the dressing room. He was accusing her of being star-struck and trying to broker a deal for her screenwriter husband.

He alleges that the security guard was going through Winona's belongings and when she came across her address book, she supposedly made comments about Bono's and Keanu Reeves' phone numbers.

There have also been claims that a bank account was opened shortly after the arrest and the security guard and her husband deposited a $50,000 check...I don't know if he's saying she was paid to lie about Winona or what but that's where it stands right now.

Now this is what's being report on the local LA news, but that doesn't mean its all true.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm sick of these rich brat actors doing stuff like this, then whining about it and wasting tax dollars by bringing it to trial.

Of course nothing's going to happen to her, but her movies bombing out ought to be punishment enough for her. :rolleyes:

Be prepared for :barf: :confused: :combust: after her high priced lawyer gets her off cause she ate too many twinkies (probably one) or it was Sak's fault for having so many nice things on display.

Back
Top Bottom