What's Happened To VH1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Is it just me or has VH1 taken a MAJOR turn for the worse over the past few years? Even when MTV became crap a long time ago, VH1 was still a great music channel. Does anyone here remember such great shows like 'VH1 Legends', 'VH1 Storytellers', hell, even 'Behind The Music' used to come on a lot more often.

Or how about 'The List'? That was a show where five celebrities from the same show/movie/whatever would come and make Top 3 lists for whatever music categories were given to them. It was really fun to watch and pretty funny sometimes.

And Legends and Storytellers were just great. Legends >>>>>> BTM any day. And Storytellers was just a great way to learn about the musicians behind the music.

So what's happened to VH1? It's all crap shows, a lot of which have nothing to do with music. It's starting to remind me of MTV, and that is sad. It was only four or five years ago that VH1 was still airing the shows mentioned above all the time.

VH1 used to be great, now it is mediocre at best. Oh well, at least I have VH1 Classic.

I actually forgot about those behind the music shows.. Damn it,, now i miss them..

Wake up VH1,,,

VH-1? Crap? how can it be with reality shows? Every great channel only gets better with the surreal life! (a drunken attempt at sarcasm! :reject: )

I hear VH-1 Classics is atleast half-decent.

I've never had cable so I've never had decent VHI or MTV to miss. Works for me.

i disagree with LMpopangel. 100% of tv sucks.

this is a slight digression, but what about the discovery channel? do they have shark week anymore? everytime i turn on that channel, they've got one of those hot rod or monster bike shows on. sorry, once you watch one group of idiots build a vehicle, you've seen them all. half the shit they build isn't even all that cool. last week agnostic front were supposed to be on monster garage. i spent 45 minutes watching stupid mechanic-drama just to watch jamie jasta from hatebreed jump around for 30 seconds while the album version of "peace" played. i could have listened to the whole song and the rest of the album in the same amount of time.

back to MTV/VH1, i spent about a half hour watching one of those channels today (i think it was MTV-U) cos every once in a while i need to be reminded that i'm not missing anything. it was painful. papa roach are hot topic emo pop punk now? queens of the stone age sound like they've gotten soft. taking back sunday flat-out suck. and would it kill the guy from kings of leon to try to sing in key?

namkcuR said:

Oh HELL yeah!! That's another one I forgot about, Pop-Up Video!!

:hmm: first time i heard "sweetest thing" it was on pop-up video.

every fucking channel has at least one reality show. that infuriates me. i thought my beloved food network was safe...no. they have this stupid ass "kitchen accomplished" show. great, i get to watch something that if it needed to exist at all belongs on hdtv. i watch food network to learn about cooking and get recipe ideas, not watch some rich suburbanite couple who are too lazy to hire a decorator get shit for free. every kitchen is the same. all stainless steel appliances and some boring wall colour.

it makes me long for the god-awful emeril live :scream: :sad: :rant:

That's like what happened to MuchMoreMusic here in Canada. They used to air great shows (a lot from VH1), but now I find 'The Fabulous Life Of...', 'The Surreal Life', and some crappy reality show called 'The Club.'

Not to mention the fact that they devote about 50% of their airtime to Shania Twain...

They do air an occasional Classic Albums show now and then. I live for that show. :drool:

IWasBored said:
i disagree with LMpopangel. 100% of tv sucks.

this is a slight digression, but what about the discovery channel? do they have shark week anymore? everytime i turn on that channel, they've got one of those hot rod or monster bike shows on.

Atleast it's not the discovery uk channel where John Lydon has that rediculous "Megabugs" show.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/megabugs/

I used to love VH1. I remember watching all weekend long when they had Behind the Music/Legends marathons. I liked Pop-Up Videos, too. I even liked the first few countdown shows they had, like the 100 Greatest Albums and 100 Greatests Artists. Then a few years ago it started the sickening downward spiral, and now everytime I turn it on they have some reality show on featuring Z list celebrities. Like there isn't enough reality TV on other networks already.

Thank God for VH1 Classic. The Classic/Current show, The Alternative and the Friday Night Concerts rule!

Bono's shades said:
Thank God for VH1 Classic. The Classic/Current show, The Alternative and the Friday Night Concerts rule!

Hell, yes. And I wonder if they'll be adding old "MTV Unplugged" episodes into their lineup, 'cause they're showing one next weekend (featuring a band I like, no less :D). That'd be pretty cool if that were the case. Their "Headline Act" shows can be interesting, too. I hope they don't change for the worse...I hope they stay strictly about the music.

One cool show regular VH1 had within the last year was that "Bands Reunited" show...that one was fun to watch. I'm hoping the lull that's occurred since the last showing of some new episodes of that show means that they've been using all this time to film new episodes, 'cause I do enjoy that show. But overall, yeah, it's a bunch of non-music related shows now, and a lot of reality-related ones at that. I do definitely miss all the old shows you guys mentioned in this thread (geez, thank goodness I taped Tom Petty's "Behind The Music" show a few years back, 'cause it looks as though my chances of seeing it on there now would be pretty much nil). "Pop-Up Video" was great...that's where I saw a lot of U2's videos for the first time. Ah, memories. Does anyone happen to remember a show they had called "Don't Quote Me"-they'd play an artist's video, and while that was playing, at the bottom, they'd have various quotes from and about that artist.

If they're not going to show this stuff anymore, whatever...but then could they at least start releasing all of it, along with box sets or something of all the videos that had ever been shown on either of those channels or whatever, on VHS/DVD or something? I'm surprised MTV/VH1 haven't been doing that on a regular basis with a lot of their stuff...considering how popular a lot of those shows were, I don't think they'd have to worry too much about poor sales, so...

Angela

I got sucked into watching the "America's Top Model" marathon yesterday. That show is truely a black hole, a giant void that just keeps sucking in everything around it. oddly addicting.

That was the most I've watched VH1 in the past 5 years.

I haven't had VH1 for five years now, so I don't know what it's like... But it sounds like it's starting to take the same path as Much More Music is here in Canada. MMM used to be the equivalent of VH1 while its sister show, Much Music, was like MTV. MMM used to play a lot of classic videos, lots of U2, etc. so I didn't have to deal with the crap on MM. Now, I'm seeing more and more shitty rap songs on MMM as well as a ton of stupid reality shows that aren't even related to music, half of the time. The only show I can actually sit through is Retro Hour. :(

Most TV channels are taking a turn for the worst. I used to LOVE the Discovery Channel (yes, I am a nerd). But recently, the only thing they ever seem to have on is American Fucking Chopper! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT MOTORCYCLES FOR AN HOUR? And the only other shows that come on are related to it, i.e. Monster Garage, Monster Trucks, etc. Who told Discovery that we like watching guys with about as much intelligence as a bag of chips fixing vehicles? The last good documentary I watched on Discovery was on King Rameses, and that happened sometime last August.

Watch more TV, my arse. :(

I think the Mirrorball Man would disagree with all of you.

:wink:

myusernamehere said:
I got sucked into watching the "America's Top Model" marathon yesterday. That show is truely a black hole, a giant void that just keeps sucking in everything around it. oddly addicting.

That was the most I've watched VH1 in the past 5 years.

that is one of my favorite shows. :reject:

I too miss pop up videos. I used to love watching Jump Start in the morning when they had that smart ass news scroll at the bottom of the videos. :up:

Best Week Ever is pretty cool. :shrug:

I always catch videos on Vh1. I admit, their reality show offerings are rubbish, but some of their programming like the "I Love the --'s" series are pretty cool. At least to me, they are.

I don't mind their "I Love The ____" shows, either. And yeah, "Best Week Ever" can be pretty funny :).

GibsonGirl said:
WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT MOTORCYCLES FOR AN HOUR?

People who like motorcycles, perhaps (such as Larry) ;)? Seriously, though, I agree, I personally would find that rather boring, too. But eh, to each their own.

Angela

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think when I said 98%, that 2% that doesn't suck (to me, anyway) is The Daily Show, and reruns of Seinfeld. :wink:

the daily show is hilarious. i just can't be bothered to remember when it's on :uhoh:

:up:

I'll play devil's advocate:

*"Behind the Music" was ready to end. They'd done virtually every artist of the 1970's thru 1990's and it was exposing how little difference there was from one band to the next. The ratings were horrible and it had run it's course.

*"The List" (see above), they covered every single category of list imaginable and similar songs ended up being on many lists.

*"Pop-Up Video": I'm actually curious to know why this show wasn't renewed. The catalogue of video material could keep this show on forever, but apparenting it either wasn't making money, or the creators needed a break. (shrugs)

* "Surreal Life", "Fabulous Life...of...": Garbage...most of the time.

* "Storytellers": must have been lack of avaibile artists that would draw a large audience. David Bowie's was cool. Ringo Starr's; not so cool.

* "Best Week Ever"..."I love the 70', 80's, or 90's": Whenever I watched those shows I felt myself trying really hard to laugh. Most of the humor was predictable and overly sarcastic. Yawn.

Back
Top Bottom