What's Happened To VH1? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Shoot your fucking TV!!!

It all sucks.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 AM
I get Fuse at home, but it's not on the University's cable. I miss it.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Thank God for VH1 Classic. The Classic/Current show, The Alternative and the Friday Night Concerts rule!
Hell, yes. And I wonder if they'll be adding old "MTV Unplugged" episodes into their lineup, 'cause they're showing one next weekend (featuring a band I like, no less ). That'd be pretty cool if that were the case. Their "Headline Act" shows can be interesting, too. I hope they don't change for the worse...I hope they stay strictly about the music.

One cool show regular VH1 had within the last year was that "Bands Reunited" show...that one was fun to watch. I'm hoping the lull that's occurred since the last showing of some new episodes of that show means that they've been using all this time to film new episodes, 'cause I do enjoy that show. But overall, yeah, it's a bunch of non-music related shows now, and a lot of reality-related ones at that. I do definitely miss all the old shows you guys mentioned in this thread (geez, thank goodness I taped Tom Petty's "Behind The Music" show a few years back, 'cause it looks as though my chances of seeing it on there now would be pretty much nil). "Pop-Up Video" was great...that's where I saw a lot of U2's videos for the first time. Ah, memories. Does anyone happen to remember a show they had called "Don't Quote Me"-they'd play an artist's video, and while that was playing, at the bottom, they'd have various quotes from and about that artist.

If they're not going to show this stuff anymore, whatever...but then could they at least start releasing all of it, along with box sets or something of all the videos that had ever been shown on either of those channels or whatever, on VHS/DVD or something? I'm surprised MTV/VH1 haven't been doing that on a regular basis with a lot of their stuff...considering how popular a lot of those shows were, I don't think they'd have to worry too much about poor sales, so...

Angela
Old 02-27-2005, 03:13 AM   #19
War Child

I got sucked into watching the "America's Top Model" marathon yesterday. That show is truely a black hole, a giant void that just keeps sucking in everything around it. oddly addicting.

That was the most I've watched VH1 in the past 5 years.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
I haven't had VH1 for five years now, so I don't know what it's like... But it sounds like it's starting to take the same path as Much More Music is here in Canada. MMM used to be the equivalent of VH1 while its sister show, Much Music, was like MTV. MMM used to play a lot of classic videos, lots of U2, etc. so I didn't have to deal with the crap on MM. Now, I'm seeing more and more shitty rap songs on MMM as well as a ton of stupid reality shows that aren't even related to music, half of the time. The only show I can actually sit through is Retro Hour.

Most TV channels are taking a turn for the worst. I used to LOVE the Discovery Channel (yes, I am a nerd). But recently, the only thing they ever seem to have on is American Fucking Chopper! WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT MOTORCYCLES FOR AN HOUR? And the only other shows that come on are related to it, i.e. Monster Garage, Monster Trucks, etc. Who told Discovery that we like watching guys with about as much intelligence as a bag of chips fixing vehicles? The last good documentary I watched on Discovery was on King Rameses, and that happened sometime last August.

Watch more TV, my arse.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:15 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

I think when I said 98%, that 2% that doesn't suck (to me, anyway) is The Daily Show, and reruns of Seinfeld.

I do admit that I will watch Celebrity Fit Club on the off chance that I happen to catch it as I'm flipping through.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:48 PM
I think the Mirrorball Man would disagree with all of you.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by myusernamehere
I got sucked into watching the "America's Top Model" marathon yesterday. That show is truely a black hole, a giant void that just keeps sucking in everything around it. oddly addicting.

That was the most I've watched VH1 in the past 5 years.
that is one of my favorite shows.

I too miss pop up videos. I used to love watching Jump Start in the morning when they had that smart ass news scroll at the bottom of the videos.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Best Week Ever is pretty cool.

I always catch videos on Vh1. I admit, their reality show offerings are rubbish, but some of their programming like the "I Love the --'s" series are pretty cool. At least to me, they are.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I don't mind their "I Love The ____" shows, either. And yeah, "Best Week Ever" can be pretty funny .

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT MOTORCYCLES FOR AN HOUR?
People who like motorcycles, perhaps (such as Larry) ? Seriously, though, I agree, I personally would find that rather boring, too. But eh, to each their own.

Angela
Old 02-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bayernfc

Atleast it's not the discovery uk channel where John Lydon has that rediculous "Megabugs" show.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/megabugs/

holy crap, why???
Old 02-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I think when I said 98%, that 2% that doesn't suck (to me, anyway) is The Daily Show, and reruns of Seinfeld.

the daily show is hilarious. i just can't be bothered to remember when it's on

Old 02-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
I actually forgot about those behind the music shows.. Damn it,, now i miss them..

Those were the best! VH1 classic now rules
Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #29
Refugee

I'll play devil's advocate:

*"Behind the Music" was ready to end. They'd done virtually every artist of the 1970's thru 1990's and it was exposing how little difference there was from one band to the next. The ratings were horrible and it had run it's course.

*"The List" (see above), they covered every single category of list imaginable and similar songs ended up being on many lists.

*"Pop-Up Video": I'm actually curious to know why this show wasn't renewed. The catalogue of video material could keep this show on forever, but apparenting it either wasn't making money, or the creators needed a break. (shrugs)

* "Surreal Life", "Fabulous Life...of...": Garbage...most of the time.

* "Storytellers": must have been lack of avaibile artists that would draw a large audience. David Bowie's was cool. Ringo Starr's; not so cool.

* "Best Week Ever"..."I love the 70', 80's, or 90's": Whenever I watched those shows I felt myself trying really hard to laugh. Most of the humor was predictable and overly sarcastic. Yawn.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #30
War Child

The top 100 lists are still really fun to me - one hit wonders etc... i also enjoy an occasional i love the 80's, its fun but worthless television