What's everyone's favorite Lennon (solo) songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I have to say, as much as I enjoy the Beatles albums thoroughly, I find Lennon's solo stuff somewhat uneven. I got that definitive lennon 2 cd set which came out in 2005 and that's my first and only lennon addition to my music collection.

definitive_lennon.jpg

My favorites are Working Class Hero, Imagine, Watching The Wheels, Instant Karma, Oh My Love, Happy Xmas, God, Mother, Woman, Nobody Told Me and Real Love. That's pretty much it. I find the other songs either just okay or even boring at times. Stuff like Oh Yoko or Borrowed Time or Power To The People make me go :huh:

Yeah I either love or loathe solo Lennon tracks. Some of them are hopelessly buried in 70s production values.

Zootlesque said:

Is that for the stuff I said I don't like?

Add Cold Turkey to that list of bores.

:uhoh:

no its because you didnt mention grow old with me on your like-list.

U2Man said:
no its because you didnt mention grow old with me on your like-list.

Just for that, you thumbed down the whole thread??? :down:

I don't even remember how that one goes. I shall listen to my Lennon collection now. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Just for that, you thumbed down the whole thread??? :down:

I don't even remember how that one goes. I shall listen to my Lennon collection now. :wink:

only confirms that my :down: was appropriate, puta.

I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard Imagine again.

I do love Instant Karma, Working Class Hero, Jealous Guy, Watching the Wheels, Happy Xmas (War Is Over).

I like (but don't love) (Just Like) Staring Over, Whatever Gets You Through the Night, #9 Dream, Oh Yoko, Beautiful Boy.

If you want a good Lennon collection that's got some big hits and some album tracks, pick up the John Lennon: Remember CD at your local Starbucks. It's a very good compilation.

No, I'm serious. It's a really good compilation. I only said "buy it at Starbucks" because that's the only place you can get it.

:madspit:

corianderstem said:
If you want a good Lennon collection that's got some big hits and some album tracks, pick up the John Lennon: Remember CD at your local Starbucks. It's a very good compilation.

I see. Actually Lennon Legend is widely considered the best single disc Lennon collection because it has a few more songs than The John Lennon Collection which was a big hit in it's day. But The Definitive Lennon had God which Lennon Legend didn't. So I picked up DL... back in 2005 when it came out. I sometimes think of getting Plastic Ono Band. But dunno how much I will enjoy the other album tracks. :hmm:

U2Man said:
[end of commercial]

:lol:

I recommended it as an alternative to a strict "greatest hits" CD, because I know not everyone likes them. :shrug:

Before I heard it, I only really knew his hits, and I was really impressed with the non-hits on it. I was surprised I liked them as much as I did, to be honest!

Would you think less of me if I said I'd never heard Working Class Hero until I got that CD?

I couldn't believe I'd lived that many years as a music fan without ever having heard it. :lol:

corianderstem said:
Would you think less of me if I said I'd never heard Working Class Hero until I got that CD?

I couldn't believe I'd lived that many years as a music fan without ever having heard it. :lol:

No. Because same here with Definitive Lennon. :reject:

John Lennon was the overrated Beatle.

Imagine and Plastic Ono Band were great, but otherwise, he was no less filler-induced than George, Paul, or Ringo's solo out-puts.
Besides, he was the exact opposite of his peace & love persona. He was a hateful, violent, homophobic anti-semite. [Google Brian Epstien] So it makes his All You Need Is Love rhetoric sound empty.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Don't feel bad. I'd never heard it either until I got that CD.

I was totally blown away by it.

I have Lennon Legend, Plastic Ono Band, and Imagine. This is my top 5 (no particular order):

Isolation
Jealous Guy
Instant Karma
Beautiful Boy
(Just Like) Starting Over

I must admit that while I know the BEatles catalogue too well (who doesnt) I dont know Lennons stuff at all. Looking forward to getting the Amnesty INstant Karma record as a way to get into it.

Ms. Joshua is a big fan of Yoko's stuff - great arthouse rock if you like that kind of thing. I've always thought Yoko got a bad rap (mainly from Beatles obsessives).

Back
Top Bottom