Whats Better? Morning Glory or Definatly Maybe??/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote (What's The Story?) Morning Glory or Definatley Maybe for the better Oasis Album

• (What's The Story?) Morning Glory

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • Definatley Maybe

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
It's tricky because I like most of the songs on Def Maybe ('cept Cigs and alcohol- I just never took to that song) but love a few of the songs on Morning Glory but hate others (I love roll with it but hate, absolutely hate, Hey Now :yuck: it's waay too slow for my liking).

But in the end I've gone for Morning Glory because, as I've said, it's got some songs on that I really love above any song off definitely maybe.

Noel Gallagher has said himself on many occassions that What's The Story was full of the songs that weren't good enough to go on Definately Maybe. DM is much better overall and everyone always forgets how much dross there is on WTSMG, Cast No Shadow anyone. Looking back and having seen them this summer they're two pretty avarage albums from a very average band. The one thing I would concede is that DM does have the only Oasis songs which have come close to standing the test of time (Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall). Although I have to also add I prefer the Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall and the Matt Pond PA version of Champagne Supernova.

Gotta go with Def Mabs....with the same sentiment as above (better start to finish, more cohesive). Morning Glory does have a couple knockouts though...it's tough.

Morning Glory. Whereas Definitely Maybe has some fantastic individual tunes on it, I'd much rather listen to Morning Glory from start to finish any day.

is it me or is uwwedoogie quietly trying to curry our decision by not putting them in chronological order? :ohmy:

Diane L said:
Be Here Now.

:laugh:

Seriously, I'm going to have to go with Definitely Maybe, if only because it has my favorite Oasis song, Slide Away.

And I think I am one of the only people who actually still likes Be Here Now...!

I've been listening to Be Here Now today and I think I actually prefer it. I love the sound effects used on it (that's about as technical as I can get-sorry!) and think they sound so much better (smoother and more talented/showing off more). On the other hand all of the songs could do to be edited to cut down on the length and excessive soloing.

However, my Be Here Now periods don't tend to last long, tomorrow I'll probably pick it up and think "What's with all this noise? Gimme a nice ballad like Wonderwall or Let there be love" or "Just hurry up and finish the bloody song Noel, it's been 9 minutes already!"

tarquinsuperb said:
Noel Gallagher has said himself on many occassions that What's The Story was full of the songs that weren't good enough to go on Definately Maybe. DM is much better overall and everyone always forgets how much dross there is on WTSMG, Cast No Shadow anyone. Looking back and having seen them this summer they're two pretty avarage albums from a very average band. The one thing I would concede is that DM does have the only Oasis songs which have come close to standing the test of time (Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall). Although I have to also add I prefer the Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall and the Matt Pond PA version of Champagne Supernova.

Terrible post...average band?? average albums?? to me the first two Oasis albums define what great rock and roll is all about..those albums really gave everyone a kick up the arse..as for their latest, its really good better than than the last three but not as good as the early masterpieces.

Diane L said:

And I think I am one of the only people who actually still likes Be Here Now...!

I think Be Here Now is the most overlooked album possibly of all time, sans Pop by U2. Everyone expected it to just like the first two when in fact at times it was different and wonderful. I'll agree the album has many questionable parts on it, but Noel shouldn't be so hard on himself by saying it's so awful. I can think of six songs on the disc that really sound great still, such as Don't Go Away, the first one, track two and all around the world. Not the crown jewel of the Oasis catalog, but much better than heard by most in the music community.

But my answer to the question is Definitely Maybe. Like mentioned it may not have the absolute best songs by the band, but it's the strongest of all their albums.

Tough one. Morning Glory has Wonderwall, Don't look back in Anger, Cast No Shadow, Some Might say and then a load of rubbish. Definitely Maybe has alot of good songs and is probably more consistent but then it has nothing like Wonderwall. If I could pick and choose what tracks to listen to then Morning Glory but if I had to listen right through then Definitely Maybe as I can't stand tracks like Roll with it, Hey Now, She's electric etc

Actually, I wanna rank the Oasis catalogue too:
  • What's the Story (Morning Glory?)--Probably their most consistent. I like the "dross" like "Cast No Shadow" and "She's Electric"; a good balance between slow and fast tunes. And it ends with "Champagne Supernova." I love epic closers.
  • The Masterplan--Turns out not all their songs are about drugs. Most of the B-sides collected here have a sixties-esque fascination with youth (and the passing of it). "The Swamp Song" is some boring, repetitive shit (and their cover of "I Am the Walrus" goes on a bit too long also), but other than that, it's perfect.
  • Don't Believe the Truth--It's really grown on me. Melodically impeccable. Doesn't do anything new, but c'mon, it's fucking Oasis.
  • Definitely Maybe--Just rocks from start to finish, which is its greatest virtue but also its greatest flaw. Some down-tempo songs (besides "Married With Children") would've made it a less tedious listen. Doesn't help that the production blurs everything into a noisy mess. But still, the songs are all great.
  • Be Here Now--This used to be my favorite, and I used to be fine with the song lengths, but now I wish it were more succinct. I like the B-sides from this era because they had similar songwriting (a bit more bombastic than usual) but saner running times.
  • Standing On the Shoulder of Giants--Mediocre songwriting all around, but it has probably the strongest sixties vibe of any of their albums (especially on "Go Let It Out" and "Who Feels Love?", the closest these guys'll ever get to psychedelia), so it's a pleasant listen from time to time.
  • Heathen Chemistry--You wanna talk about dross, let's talk about "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" or "Little By Little." But all of Liam's contributions are solid, and the rest of Noel's stuff is okay.
They need to release another B-sides album.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Terrible post...average band?? average albums?? to me the first two Oasis albums define what great rock and roll is all about..those albums really gave everyone a kick up the arse..as for their latest, its really good better than than the last three but not as good as the early masterpieces.

Come on, as much as I love them and have taken pleasure from their music they're a tragically average band. Definately Maybe hardly reinvented the wheel now did it? What's more they basically re-made that album again and again.

Both Definately Maybe and What's The Story are good albums but I think great is a bit over the top; they were rewarded far beyond what they deserved for those first two albums because they were very good at getting their pictures in the papers. I'm not sure what evidence there is for saying they gave people a kick in arse, they might have grabbed a lot of attention but I think for the main part that was about it. The Brit Pop scene at the time was pretty exciting regardless of Oasis.

It's often forgotten that What's The Story was released to very mixed reviews. Not always the best guide I know but does give us some pause for thought before heralding the album as a masterpiece. For every Don't Look Back In Anger and Champagne Supernova there's a Cast No Shadow, Hey Now and Roll With It.

Being a young teenager at the time from a musical perspective it's a period of my life I look back on with great fondness but What's The Story wasn't by any stretch of the imagination the stand out album, Cast's All Change, Pulp's Different Class and even Suede's Coming Up were all in my opinion far superior albums. They were also from bands who had the balls to alter their sound. There's also a certain re-writing of history with regards to Definately Maybe, THE album of the time was Blur's Parklife and listening back to both albums now I can fully understand why that was the case.

The 'Quo-asis' comment upset Oasis and their fans so much because like all the most hurtful remarks there was more than a grain of truth to it.

Back
Top Bottom