Whats Better? Morning Glory or Definatly Maybe??/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote (What's The Story?) Morning Glory or Definatley Maybe for the better Oasis Album

• (What's The Story?) Morning Glory

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • Definatley Maybe

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
Before I got into U2, my favourite band was Oasis. U2 went further up the list, however, as the quality of Oasis albums went down.

However, I've been pulling out some old Oasis tracks recently, and I've become a bigger fan of WTSMG than I used to be. Melodically, you can't go wrong with this album. Overall quality, however, is DM...with the exception of "Shakermaker," it's a very consistent album.

The B-sides were always amazing, too: "Talk Tonight," "Headshrinker," "The Masterplan," "Whatever" (not really a b-side, but never on an album), "Acquiesce," "Half The World Away..."

I'd also say that, while "Wonderwall" got a lot of people into Oasis, they had at least half a dozen better songs in their career.

typhoon said:

[*]Definitely Maybe--Just rocks from start to finish, which is its greatest virtue but also its greatest flaw. Some down-tempo songs (besides "Married With Children") would've made it a less tedious listen. Doesn't help that the production blurs everything into a noisy mess. But still, the songs are all great.

That's exactly how I feel about DM, put in a far clearer way than I would have ever managed myself. Especially the comment about "noisy mess". Take 'Slide Away' for example, would that not have benefitted immensely from a slightly softer production rather than once again trying to emphasize Oasis's 'raw' sound and in turn imply their working class roots and 'angry' attitude?

Even WTSMG sounds rather...basic to me. That isn't quite what I mean (can you help me out Typhoon? :wink: ) but if you listen to it and then compare its production to that of BHN's morse code, codas, etc. it does make the 'fillers' from WTSMG seem like they could have been done so much better.

I doubt any of the above makes any sense whatsoever but anyway, thanks Typhoon for writing that.

bonnevoix02 said:
Before I got into U2, my favourite band was Oasis. U2 went further up the list, however, as the quality of Oasis albums went down.

However, I've been pulling out some old Oasis tracks recently, and I've become a bigger fan of WTSMG than I used to be. Melodically, you can't go wrong with this album. Overall quality, however, is DM...with the exception of "Shakermaker," it's a very consistent album.

The B-sides were always amazing, too: "Talk Tonight," "Headshrinker," "The Masterplan," "Whatever" (not really a b-side, but never on an album), "Acquiesce," "Half The World Away..."

I'd also say that, while "Wonderwall" got a lot of people into Oasis, they had at least half a dozen better songs in their career.

i think we might have been separated at birth :ohmy:

oasis were my fav band before i discovered U2

and i also share the same views as you on them and think DM is their best album. although i like Shakermaker as well:wink:

This thread is really making me want to pick up Definitely Maybe. I've meant to for quite some time now,but I havent exactly been in love with Oasis for the last 9 years, so I havent. In all honesty, sometimes I feel like I flat out hate them. Maybe I'll have to pick it up used, I honestly think I'd like it far more than Morning Glory from the descriptions/reviews I've read.

tough call but i'd have to go with Definitely Maybe. Whereas as Morning Glory has the classics like wonderwall, don't look back in anger, & champagne supernova, Definitely Maybe is a solid album from start to finish. And it has songs like Live Forever (instant classic), Slide Away (most underrated song ever), and Supersonic. I personally think that Definitely Maybe is the greatest debut record every. Oh, and I also love Be Here Now....one of my favorite Oasis songs, Don't Go Away, is on it. Here's how i rank their albums

1.) Definitely Maybe
2.) (What's the Story) Morning Glory
3.) Don't Believe The Truth
4.) The Masterplan
5.) Heathen Chemistry
6.) Be Here Now
7.) Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants

even the albums that i ranked lower i still love. it's just that its so tough since Oasis has such a great catalouge of songs...

I love Definitely Maybe for the most part... well, maybe except for Cigarettes... but gotta go with...

Need a little time to wake uppp!!!

Zootlesque said:
I love Definitely Maybe for the most part... well, maybe except for Cigarettes... but gotta go with...

Need a little time to wake uppp!!!

I never like Ciagarettes either mainly cos it was a complete rip-off of Get it On by T Rex

Be Here Now is underrated and I reckon the album would be perfect if you just shorten the album length by cutting Girl in the Dirty Shirt and Fade In/Out from the album.

Then you get about a 10 track 60 minute album, and it's an amazing journey, particularly towards the end. Man, what a fantastic album.

Pity it got such bad press. I kinda felt that many critics were determined to bring the BritPoP craze to an abrupt halt, cause they were prejudiced against the sub-genre.

For the Record, I reckon Morning Glory is a lot better than Defintely Maybe, yet both are stunning albums.

Live Forever, RocknRoll Star, Colombia, Supersonic, Marriedwith children.....wow!

But Morning Glory is better overall.

Oasis. What are F***ing awesome band.

I'm in awe of their "f***ing sonic ability."

I'm not the biggest Oasis fan. I have What's The Story Morning Glory & the new CD (which I've misplaced :mad: ) and just picked up Definitely Maybe. I've only heard it a few times, but I can tell that WTSMG kicks A$$ on DM - there's just no contest... at least in my opinion...

i used to love oasis but after be here now failed on so many levels i'm beginning to think that maybe their success was a fluke. i mean true that DM and Morning Glory were kick ass in their day but in retrospect way too much guitar and treble. where is the bass? where are the classic tracks? they had some good lyrics and a couple good melodies... that's it. other than that it was the 2 gallaghers just running their mouths like little kids. i mean it was amusing for a few weeks in 95/96 but not after that...

i mean i loved wonderwall just as much as anyone but they couldn't follow it up... just didn't have it in them. too arrogant i would say.

intedomine said:
Be Here Now is underrated and I reckon the album would be perfect if you just shorten the album length by cutting Girl in the Dirty Shirt and Fade In/Out from the album.

Then you get about a 10 track 60 minute album, and it's an amazing journey, particularly towards the end. Man, what a fantastic album.

Pity it got such bad press. I kinda felt that many critics were determined to bring the BritPoP craze to an abrupt halt, cause they were prejudiced against the sub-genre.

For the Record, I reckon Morning Glory is a lot better than Defintely Maybe, yet both are stunning albums.

Live Forever, RocknRoll Star, Colombia, Supersonic, Marriedwith children.....wow!

But Morning Glory is better overall.

Oasis. What are F***ing awesome band.

I'm in awe of their "f***ing sonic ability."

I reckon that I agree 100% with you, but you also cut down the length of Fade In/Out it also becomes quite good. The reprise could have been taken out and perhaps a lot of the extra verses.

1stepcloser said:

i think we might have been separated at birth :ohmy:

oasis were my fav band before i discovered U2

and i also share the same views as you on them and think DM is their best album. although i like Shakermaker as well:wink:

Ha. I think "Shakermaker" annoys me because it reminds me of that Coca-Cola ad.

As for the BHN convo going on here, one of the most underrated songs from the album is "Don't Go Away." But it sounds a lot better live and with Noel on vocals...absolutely amazing song. (Then again, I always thought Noel was the better vocalist in the band, but that's a whole other thread :wink: )

When I first heard "Slide Away," I wondered why it hadn't been a single. I agree that it was very much an underrated song. Maybe it would have been too sappy for their image at the time? Although one of the reasons why I've always liked this song–both the recorded version and Noel's acoustic version during concerts–is that the vocal delivery is strong and detached, letting the lyrics speak for themselves. They could have also gone for a slower strings arrangement, but instead went for the wall of guitar sound and an awesome guitar solo. Brilliant.

Yet another reason why DM is the stronger album! :)

bonnevoix02 said:

As for the BHN convo going on here, one of the most underrated songs from the album is "Don't Go Away." But it sounds a lot better live and with Noel on vocals...absolutely amazing song. (Then again, I always thought Noel was the better vocalist in the band, but that's a whole other thread :wink: )

Yeah, i agree somewhat.

I loved it immediately when it was a single, and it was just the other day I was thinking about it's potential as a "Noel" song.
I sometimes wonder whether having MAGIC PIE as the token Noel song, was a mistake and it should have been Don't Go Away instead.

It would be of that similar grand sound of DLBIA, WDIAGW and Little By Little...all classic tracks and unquestionalbly good songs.

Whether, Noel is a better singer than Liam, well, that depends on the song. There is a lot of songs where a song's quality can be enforced by Liam and Liam only. (Eg. I Can See A Liar, Be Here Now, Rock and Roll Star)

To add my 2 pence worth on the subject of Liam's voice, there did come a point when I thought Liam's voice had totally gone, unable to reach the high notes it just became sneering and scratchy- perfect perhaps for the rockier tunes but what about the slower songs that Liam used to be able to sing so well? Remember all the high notes Liam used to sing on DM ('Up In The Sky' might be the best example)? Fast-forward to the HC album (their worst album IMHO) and '(Probably) All In The Mind' :no: Noel singing ALL the high notes over the top of Liam struggling to reach them. It would have been better just to let Liam attempt to hit the note alone because all Noel did was emphasize the fact that Liam had problems reaching the notes...

All of which explains why I so surprised by 'Don't Believe The Truth' and in particular, 'Let There Be Love', Liam back on form singing in a tender style not heard since SOTSOG.

TheQuiet1 said:
To add my 2 pence worth on the subject of Liam's voice, there did come a point when I thought Liam's voice had totally gone, unable to reach the high notes it just became sneering and scratchy- perfect perhaps for the rockier tunes but what about the slower songs that Liam used to be able to sing so well? Remember all the high notes Liam used to sing on DM ('Up In The Sky' might be the best example)? Fast-forward to the HC album (their worst album IMHO) and '(Probably) All In The Mind' :no: Noel singing ALL the high notes over the top of Liam struggling to reach them. It would have been better just to let Liam attempt to hit the note alone because all Noel did was emphasize the fact that Liam had problems reaching the notes...
Or how about Familiar To Millions? Sounds like he gargled with dirt backstage before the show.

My vote to definetely maybe............. morning glory is very overrated. Both have one throwaway track (digsys dinner, hey now) but otherwise def maybe blows glory right out of the water.

even dont believe the truth comfortably tops morning gloy.

typhoon said:

Or how about Familiar To Millions? Sounds like he gargled with dirt backstage before the show.
:lol:
I remember being so shocked when I first heard 'Go Let It Out' on FTM. Liam just sounds so throaty and then when the crowd started chanting "Liam, Liam" after 'Who Feels Love?". I dunno what Liam had done on stage (I only have the CD) but I doubt they were cheering his singing!

But I think he did improve as the show went on (thankfully!). I mean Supersonic sounds...not too bad and Roll with It/Stand By Me/Wonderwall is good. Live Forever was good too. But again, Noel was doing that really irritating thing of singing over Liam.

The whole CD started to grow on me after a while. I mean it's better than some audio releases of live bands (see 'Best of Blur', the instruments don't even sound in tune!). Then I got 'U2 Go Home' and was blown away even if I did think "What the heck is Bono doing rolling around on the stage floor?!!"

I think FTM was a strange release looking back because although playing Wembley was/will be a big thing, everyone knows Liam could, and hopefully still can, do better live. Surely there must have been a live show from that era in terms of Liam's voice? Can't fault the rest of the band though, flawless playing.

Still, I'm led to believe Liam's voice is back on form this tour so one of the best live bands about (IMHO) should be on top form again (even if it is without Whitey :( )

Nothing wrong with Digsy's Dinner and Hey Now....

Throwaway track from DM in my opinion is Bring It On Down, and Hello from WTSMG.

TheQuiet1 said:
I remember being so shocked when I first heard 'Go Let It Out' on FTM. Liam just sounds so throaty and then when the crowd started chanting "Liam, Liam" after 'Who Feels Love?". I dunno what Liam had done on stage (I only have the CD) but I doubt they were cheering his singing!
Liam started the chant.

Back
Top Bottom