What would you do? (hairdresser relations question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
A few weeks ago, I called my hairdresser asking if I could book an appointment today. She called back and said she could see me at 6, and to call her back if that didn't work, otherwise she'd see me then.

Well, today I trek all the way over there (anywhere from 40 minutes or longer by public transit) and she is on her way out! She never wrote my apt in her book. She asked if I could come back tomorrow. The problem with that is it means I will have to come much later, as I already have something I have to do, and that will mess up my Thursday TV!! :mad:

So....I said OK. She said she wouldn't charge me. I said I would feel bad about that (it's just her running her own business) so she said how about half price, and I said OK.

So the question is, normally I tip 20%. Tomorrow, do I tip based on the half price, OR do I tip as if it had been the full price, which would make it a massive percentage, but I don't want to be a cheapskate either.

What do you think?

I would just act like nothing happened and tip her the same.

My brother owns a hair salon but is not a stylist, my cousin owns a salon and is a stylist, and my grandma was a manicurist/stylist her whole life. I think they would all say that if your stylist is giving you a discounted haircut because she screwed up on your appointment then tip her the same as always. You just never know when you'll need her for an "emergency" appointment where she might be able to fit you in last minute even though she might not have the time. She might remember this incident and your generousity by tipping her the same when you didn't have too and make the exception to fit you in.

Last edited:
Concerning my hairdresser, I don't tip based on cost...I tip based on how happy I am with the results.

I've always tipped based on the real price. Actually, I haven't had a paid haircut in over four years, but at restaurants when my waitress friends take off drinks or give me a discount, I still tip full price.

this whole concept of tipping a hairdresser...:huh:

i guess i'd tip the same

*Meh* I don't get tipping.

But anyway, I guess since she's your regular hairdresser, it would be nice to stay in her good books. And you said it's just her running the business? So you were kind enough to offer to pay when she said you could have a haircut for free ... well, I guess it's up to you.

I suppose my advice would be see if she does a good job first before you decide!

The whole concept of tipping bugs me actually, because it should be something extra, and not expected....why we all have to foot the bill at restaurants because they only pay minimum wage is beyond me. As my friend in England says, "they don't tip ME for my job, so why should I tip them?"

I do tip people who do highly personal and fussy things like bikini waxing and hair more than usual.

I suppose I will tip her as usual. I wonder if I am really over tipping her since she owns the salon? :scratch: I am kind of kicking myself now for not having just taken the free haircut!!

Back
Top Bottom