What Would You Do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
News from yesterday's "Powerball" Lottery drawing:

"One winning ticket was sold in West Virginia for the nearly-$315 million Powerball lottery Wednesday night, a spokesman for contest operator the Multi-State Lottery Association said. "

That is an estimated $170 Million as a lump sum payment. Let's say you clear $85 Million after taxes.

What would you do if you won?

What do you think would happen to you if you won?

I would use the money to buy a place in Nottingham, England; move there; pay for grad school; pay off my student loans from undergrad; buy a penguin; and save the rest for when my fiance and I are married.

Pay off my mum and Dads house here and buy them an appartment in Paris and Dublin

Send them on a holiday

I would buy me a VW camper van

Give 1/3 to my brother and 1/3 to my sister

Save the rest

Get rid of my debts
Pay off my best friends debt
Pay off another friends tuition, as well as some extra for her and her husband.
Give some to another friend who has financial troubles.
Give some to various charities
Move the fuck away from here, probably to England or Ireland and get some pets and chill

Like Iris said, I would call a lawyer and financial planner ASAP

Trust accounts for my kids, my younger brothers and sister, neices and nephews and future grandchildren

Give my grandma the kind of life she deserves for always putting her family first

Pay off my parents debts and make sure my younger brothers and sister go to college

I would give everyone in my immediate family at least a million bucks...more depending on how close we are

Pay off my closest friends debts and put something away for their kids

Give as much as I could to charity

Travel for a year or two

Pay off my own debts and let someone else run my business

Pray to God that that much money wouldn't turn me into an asshole

i thought this would be about the nickelodeon show. :tongue:

anyway...
i would buy myself ummm...i dunno what car i'd get! since money would be no object, i saw the mr2 spyder...pretty sharp! it'd be a convertible with semi-automatic transmission, just the way i saw it on the showroom floor. except, i wouldn't want yellow. perhaps their gorgeous platinum colour, or indigo blue.

i would buy my husband a volkswagen jetta diesel. :D

i would pay off my mom's car.

i would also build this humongous house on the beach somewhere on the gulf coast of florida for us to live in. it'd have separate wings so my parents and his parents could move in too, and it'd be like having three separate houses.

i'd get just a few techie goodies, like a plasma television, playstation 2, and then proceed to buy every game made for the xbox, gamecube, and playstation 2. hey, with $85 million, buying a couple hundred games would be no sweat, right? :wink:

then the rest i'd invest or something. i wouldn't want to quit working or anything, cuz that would be boring. i'd probably just find some job i love to do but wouldn't be a proper job to have in real life. since i wouldn't have to worry about money too much, i could just put in a few hours a day or something somewhere, like at a tanning salon. or even better, buy a tanning salon franchise, as well as a coffeehouse (for my husband to manage). fun, huh? :D

-- Pay off my debt
-- Pay off my best friends debt and pay for the rest of his school
-- Pay off my families debt which is not that much
-- Buy a house and nice car. ( I don't need more than one )
-- Quit my job so I can go back and finish school.
-- Buy a personal trainer and nutritonalist
-- Charity ( I would have to sit down and think to whom)
-- Hire someone to help me manage and invest my money so I don't fuck it up.

get a lawyer and a financial advisor, pay off my mine and my family's debts, give them a bit of money to play with, buy a car, and a house on the beach, somewhere thats secluded, set up a trust fund for daisy, put her in the best school, put away some money, give some to charity, etc...

I'd spend a lot of time thinking
I'd try to sort through the new friends I 'd suddenly gain.
I'd spend quite a bit on travel, on my own and with family and friends( mum has ALWAYS wanted to go to Fiji)
I'd try to help as many people as possible, gosh i knw so many in need.
I'd spend a bit on making Interference an eternally free site.
I'd get my girlfriend the laser eye surgery she wants/needs and the fanciest harmonica known to mankind.
I'd set up a refuge for abused kids
I'd buy myself a horse stud farm and St.John's church.
I'd buy hub any guitar he wanted and a new safe van.
I'd go to university...aw heck, I'd buy a university.

what's the figure? $85millionUS..hmmm I'd spend a lot of time thinking....money can't buy you love. Somehow I'd make it grow big enough to help everyone...all 10 billion of us.
perchance to dream...I won $80 the other day, woohoooo, I put it towards reading glasses, what a :mac: I'd like another pair for beside my bed, they are never in the room you want them to be in, and I'd buy 2 batches of Bricanyl. Last of the big spenders.

I'd take y'all to see U2 in Brisbane....we could stay at the YMCA...it's fun to stay at the YMCA, it really is!!:wave:

My Powerball ticket was a winner!

Okay, it was a $4 winner...

Don't worry! It didn't change me one bit!!!!

I used it to buy my sister a coffee and a cookie.

I would first pay off all my debt... school loans, credit card etc.

Buy a house, and a nice car.

Pay off all my parent's debt, their house, and buy them each anything they wanted.

I honestly would give a good sizeable chunk to charities, probably the March of Dimes, and a large donation to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute where both my parents were treated.

I probably would stop working, but still do volunteering.

Ok... getting carried away here :)

-pay off my debts
-buy my parents a new car
-buy myself a new car
-buy a new house for myself or a condo
...heck, I'd buy a house and a condo....condo on the beach would be nice...oh, and a house or condo in Dublin would be nice too :happy: ....of course then I'd have to get a private plane so I could fly there whenever I wanted too :sexywink:
-throw a big party for my friends....I don't think I'd start giving out money to my friends...I know this may sound selfish at first, but then people who you haven't seen in years start wanting money too, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel hurt or left out, and everyone would start arguing...and you wouldn't know where to stop, and I think it would just cause more problems...money has a way of doing that...but I would definitely help any of my friends who really needed financial help
-donate to charities
-quit my job and open my own art studio
-the rest I'd put into savings and investments

Pass out.
34.gif

I think it was 110 million after taxes... anyway, I'd probably take the per-year payout, it's over what, 20 years? That's like more than 10 million a year, that'd do me fine I think...
anyway, if I had it all at once though I'd...
*employs the list function*
  • pay off my debts
  • pay off my parents' and stepparents' debts
  • get a whole new freakin wardrobe, I hate my clothes
  • buy a couple new guitars/basses/amps, a computer, and other such toys
  • and a car since I'm carless
  • give some to my mother, but only on the condition that she and Tim quit their jobs and and invest some of it on opening up a water gardening store. She's always wanted that. They also have to get new siding, I hate the color of this house.
  • Give another chunk to Dad and Deb on the condition that they hire a financial advisor. My dad can't budget for shit.
  • Give some to my brother, on the condition that he goes to see the Two Towers with me since no one else will
  • Give some to my aunt cheryl so she can get off food stamps
  • Give some to my cousin Akuah so she doesn't have to worry about her baby and her diabetic supplies... on the condition that she takes a trip to Africa. Her dad was from Ghana and she really wants to go there and meet her family.
  • Give some to various other close family members that I may have forgotten, unless I haven't heard from them in 10 years, then they can kiss my ass
  • Get my grandma out of Miller's Merry Manor (what an awful name for a nursing home), get her a little house, and some in-home care. Unless she likes the nursing home thing, I'm not really sure. I just hate that place's name.
  • That's all the family that get anything, and I wouldn't start on my friends because I wouldn't know where to stop. They say the people who win big and lose it all, most of them gave it all away.
  • Decide whether to quit school or not, I know I'd be really tempted... but why not stay?
  • TRAVEL MY ASS OFF
  • invest what's left

- Die of a heart attack
- Come back to life
- Buy a HUGE house in Ireland
- Make sure my family has everything they need
- Travel all over the world
- Contact Paul McGuinness and hire U2 for my b-day party :D
- Save and invest the rest

pay off my student loans and credit cards :scream:

Move to Seattle...... move next door to Eddie!:hyper: :drool: :lol:

Travel.... I really want to travel around the world, especially Europe!!!

- give a good amount to my family
- buy my friends fun gifts :)
- travel LOTS
- pay of loans
- get a PhD...actually, get lots of masters in every subject I'm interested in as well
- somehow get the job i really, really want - not that money can provide that, but it's got to make it somehow easier.

Everybody here keeps asking me if I am related to this guy. I keep having to say "No he spells his last name the wrong way with two T's and I spell mine the proper way with one" :lol:

Hey nbc, you never said what you would do......:sexywink:

Ditto on the lawyer/financial planner contacts, then I'd figure what 10% of the winnings would be and spread that out between my church and charities that I regularly contribute to.
Not sure if I would finish school or not, I'm more that 1/2 way so I'd probably just stick it out. I'd give at least a million to each of my relatives that I've seen at least once in the past 5 years. I would then organize a huge real-life gathering of all Interferencers - I'd spring for everyone's plane tickets, figure out a really cool place to host the bash, and figure out some way to bribe our U2 boys to play a personal concert for us and take individual pics with everyone :D Then I would take the time to personally thank them for doing such a nice thing :sexywink:

Of course I'd get a reliable car (prolly one of those cool new hybrids), and then sell the house and maybe get a farm so I can have a horse and a potbellied pig (and pay someone to help with the stable work). I'd definitely take some time to travel the world (in my own private jet). After that, prolly settle down and start our family by adopting a kiddie or 2.

I'd also hire a personal massage therapist to be on hand 24/7. :yes:

i'd convert the payout into a lump sum of cash (all five dollar bills or smaller btw), go into my room, lock the door behind me, spread out the money, and roll around in it with nothing but a gluttonous look on my face. then i'd walk out of my room and act like nothing happened. :sexywink:

-----------
*i too would at least give 10% of it back to the churches that have nourished my soul
*i'd give a large chunk of it back to my parents, who have provided me with everything a child could possibly need or want (material things aside)
*of course i'd allocate some of the money to relatives
*with the remainder, i'd probably just travel the globe, buy a relatively modest beachfront home, buy 1 or 2 original Picasso and/or Dali paintings, hire the best art instructor money can buy, and save.

bonosloveslave said:
Hey nbc, you never said what you would do......:sexywink:

Egads, you're right!

- Tithe to various ministries and charities we support.
- Set up educational funds for my children, family member's children and close friends.
- Make my parent's lives easier.
- Buy a house in our neighborhood.
- Buy a car that isn't 13 years old.
- Hire an accountant/investment counselor/lawyer to handle the funds and create a foundation.
- Go to seminary.
- Split my time between ministry and managing the foundation.
- Buy a family TV that I can play DVDs
- Buy those garbage bags that have the handles built-in to the bag!
- Pray for wisdom on raising my kids with that kind of money (I see how it warps some in our community).

Back
Top Bottom