what was your first job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
and how old were you...

and WHY you started working?

a doubt I got last night... as I'm 22, still in college and had never worked (as in monthly/weekly payment) EVER

I'm still too young :wink:

paperboy, since i was 10 years old.

in driving rain, snow, cold wind...

kids nowadays. so spoiled. :tsk:

I started babysitting when I was 11, for neighborhood families and my younger cousins. I delivered two different newspapers and in high school, I babysat for various people 4-5 times a week (I had 15 families who called me). During the summers, I nannied full time (everyday, all day, bleh). In college I was a computer technician, a TA, and lab assistant. Combined, I worked about 20-30 hrs a week while school was on and then did the technician job full time (40+) over breaks and summer break.

Why did I start working? Because I wanted to go to movies, buy clothes, go out for dinners w/ friends and such and my parents would laugh in my face if I asked for spending money. In college, I worked to pay for books, food, rent, and utilities. In high school, I worked more in the summers for something to do, since everyone else worked too.

Started mowing lawns at age 12 or 13...

and then once I turned 16 got my first "real" job at a theme park.

and then from there I went into the adult film industry.

At 17, working part-time as a receptionist at this law office where my mom worked. It was only for the summer. I don't consider it my first "real" job because my mom was there; I wasn't on my own.

A few days after I graduated high school, I started working at a CD/DVD store. That I consider to be my first real job.

Delivering a weekly paper at age 12, I think. Worked in a deli, off the books, at age 14. Took that job because I wanted a little extra cash, now that I was in High School. Funny thing was, when I got the job, my parents doubled my allowance for showing responsibility. :)

Cashier at a Hallmark cards store in the mall by my house. Worked there for about 2 years. My grandparents got a new car when I turned 15, and next in line in the family to drive. My parents stored the car in the garage until I turned 16. The conditions of my getting the car was I had to work to pay for gas, school parking passes, and pay for some of the insurance on the car. I don't think I would have gotten my license at 16 if not for the car. I had no interest in going to driver's ed when my friends all started to go. I know for sure I never would have gotten a job at 16 if I didn't have to. None of my friends worked and I didn't want to work either. Eventually, they all got jobs when they saw how much extra money I had :D

I worked in the cafeteria (cleaning up the dining hall, and washing and putting away dishes) and reception (phones and answering the door -- which was on another floor from the switchboard) at the school I went to starting when I was 12. During the school year there were several of us working so I didn't work more than a few days a week, but during the summer only the local kids worked, so it was pretty steady.

I never got any cash for it -- it all went to pay tuition at the school.

Otherwise though because I lived in a fairly rural area there were few jobs available, especially for teenaged girls. So other than working at the school (and doing work/study at college -- worked making theatre sets. That was fun :) ) I didn't hold a "real" job until after college.

U2Man said:
paperboy, since i was 10 years old.

in driving rain, snow, cold wind...

Exactly the same. For about four years.

Why? Hm, maybe... money? :wink:

My bank account always was so light weighted, so I had to get some money for it :)

Later I worked for Motorola, checking mobiles, packing mobiles or put togeth the boards.

That was to finance my trip, but alas they didn't employ me as much as I wanted to.

In Australia I did some door knocking for World Vision for about one month.

Back in Germany I worked at a gas station, as cashier and everything else. There was also a shop and bistro, so it was pretty much everything to do.

That for about three months.

Now I work at the university I study in a project to evaluate and benchmark airports.

I got my first legal job at age 14, literally the week I was legally old enough to get a job. It was at a Woolworths Variety store. I don't think they even exist anymore. I stayed there for years. When you are 14, you work for one reason, and one reason only: $$$.

I got my first job when I was 15, working as the stockgirl for a shoe store at the mall. My sister currently worked the job but was to leave for college in the fall. She told her boss I would be a good replacement, and she spent the summer training me. Eventually, I told my boss I wanted to work the floor and do sales, so I was able to get my best friend to take over my stockgirl job.

17, working at an amusement park. The pay was shitty (min wage) and it was seasonal so they didn't have to pay overtime. Which meant I had to work a lot of double shifts to make decent money. The social atmosphere and partying afterwards were fun, though.

I think I was 21, my last year of uni... I was spoiled, my parents pretty much supported me. :reject:
I just had to sit in the foyer of the student accomodation building where I lived, collect dirty bed sheets and hand out clean ones. I don't understand how anyone can sleep on sheets that have turned black. :yuck:

First job after I left uni was door-to-door sales... I could only handle that for a week. After that, it was the last refuge of the unemployed... McDonald's. So much for education!

About 14, over the summer at my mom's job. I would input data and purge old files. Three years later after high school they offered me a permanent position and I was there for four years until this January when the bosses retired.

I think it was for $ and also because I didn't want to stay at home doing nothing all summer.

16 - cashier for Tesco (supermarket)

I worked there for about 9 months.

Every summer up until Christmas I have a job - worked mostly in retail. Not working this year to focus on studying but will be on the lookout for work as soon as June rolls round. Training to be a teacher (which means spending 6 weeks studying and 30 training/working) will cost 1/3 of the debt I've already put myself in the last 4 years. :mad:

First job was for a dry cleaning company, when I was in high school. It was total ass.

My first job was/is working for my dad at his photo shop, but that's only a few hours a week, and well...it's for my dad. I've been there for over 2 years though...

I worked for Sears for a few months as a seasonal employee this fall (I was 16, pretty much the minimum working age). I started as a MCA (merchandise customer assistant) doing the shit jobs like cleaning up dressing rooms. You wouldn't believe how rude people are in there :madspit: Then, I moved to Shoes right before the Friday after Thanksgiving and stayed there until January 1st.

Now, I have a job at a call center, but it hasn't started yet because there aren't any evening training sessions, but the company is hoping for the beginning of April. So am I, I'm getting poor again :sad: That job will be a piece of cake though, I get to sit on my bum and answer phones for the Washington Post or NYT or another big newspaper like that. Plus, starting wage is between $7.00 and $9.00, a bit more than the current minimum wage in Wisconsin ($6.55). :D

Why do I work? Money...kaching.

I was a papergirl for a while at 13 then I got a job at a pizza place from 15 - 17. I was working towards a car and license and all that jazz.

My first job was at a daycare when I was 12. I'm sure it was illegal, and it probably was not the wisest thing having a 12 yr old working with kids who were not much younger than I was. :lol:

I got the job so I could have extra money to buy music, but I didn't stay there very long. After that I did a lot of babysitting, then got a job as a barista when I was 16.

I was a waitress from the age of 13 on w/ends and school holidays (at my Grandfather's resturant....served alcohol too!...Um-mah!!would not be able to get away with it now,don't think!) for pocket money!
Then a waitress/bar maid for a further....hmmm......10 years!!!

Loved working as a waitress and bar maid, would still do it today if it paid nicely!

babysitted for neighbors when I was 13 or 14, but first real job was at Sears and it was for the money, definitely. worked in their juniors department and a lot of the customers were rude and so sloppy in the dressing rooms. I worked there until just after I turned 18. I decided to apply for a Sears card, and they turned me down. one of their own employees and I still got rejected. oh well, I quit during my senior year of high school...I got mono and it was right before graduation, and I was just sick of working there.

Back
Top Bottom