what was your first job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babysitting when I was about 12 stuck with that for a long time. Lived in town so the jobs were a handful a dozen plus it was a lot of word by mouth. Really couldn't complain the hours were flexible and the pay was pretty decent. Some of the kid's I wish never to see again! :yikes: Oh and when I became older I started helping out with the family cleaning business.

Why I did it because I wanted money and wanted to help out my mom. Yes I am a good daughter :angel:

Last edited:
My first job was a summer job pumping gas at the marina near my cottage, I was 15...

It was $6.00 an hour I think...

I used the money to buy Zooropa when it came out that summer (1993) on cassette :drool:

The big purchase was my first CD player and first CD's:

Rage Against The Machine
Broken by Nine Inch Nails
Achtung Baby

Good times, good times...

I worked for Hallmark as a stock person that would go to grocery stores and drug stores and change out their greeting card stock, put up new displays, etc. I did that for one summer.

Other than the occasional babysitting gig for a couple down the road who couldn't find anyone else brain dead enough to watch their demon spawn, first real job was grocery store cashier when I was 16. Just worked during the summer at first, but then added weekends & school vacation days. Mostly for spending money so I didn't have to ask my parents for anything (wiiiiide independent streak :D ), but I am proud to say that from my school clothes to my class ring & all the graduation stuff you order - caps, gowns, announcements, blah blah blah - I paid for every bit of it, without any help from my parents. :up:

Selling fake designer perfume when I was 19 or 20. I had so many people yell at me and chase me out of their offices, I quit after one day. :reject:

I had the paper route for a good 3 years. I think I started that at 12.

My first real job however was probably working on a paint crew for Central College in Pella Iowa. Worthless pay...

Speaking of quitting after 1 day BAW. I "de-tassled" corn for one day. You had to pull out the "tassle" off the top of the corn stalk. You got little cuts all over your body, from the corn stalks, and if you weren't fast enough, the boss yelled at you like crazy. First day, we worked from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm. I hated it so much I refused to go back EVER!

First job: babysitting when I was 11
First job not paid by parents/neighbors: a summer camp counselor when I was 15 (most fun job ever)
Worst job: tagging labels onto used CD's for a summer, in the basement of a record store, the summer after my freshman year of college
Current job: lawyer

I'm still in my first job, which I got when I was 19. I'm a cashier at the corner grocery store. So I've been there nearly 3 years, and I've been working my way up the seniority ladder ever since.

It's actually a pretty good gig. I get along well with pretty much everyone, I have an awesome boss, and it's predictable, which I like.

I wanted a job so I could pay for university without going into debt, which I've managed to do so far. And to have some extra cash every now and then.

i worked at a pool concession stand. then my boss got all passive aggressive angry at me bc i turned into a bouncer. she's right, it wasn't in my job description, but those kids were straight up trippin and she wasn't doin anything about it.

Babysat a couple of times when i was 13 or 14
Worked in my dad's office during school holidays when i was 14 too - doing photocopying and filing and stuff.
First 'real' job was at 15 - checkout chick at BILO (Supermarket) - stayed there right through high school and first couple of years of Uni too. Pretty good money and they gave me shifts when ever I wanted them.
Why did I work? Coz I wanted lots of clothes and music and concert tickets and stuff that my parents couldn't afford!!

I babysat the daughter of one of my dad's coworkers one summer when I was (I think) 16. Then I worked at my dad's store as a gift registry consultant the next summer, then at a mortgage company when I was 18, then interning for a senator and a member of Congress in DC when I was 19. My first non-summer job after I'd finished college was as a legislative assistant to a member of Congress in DC when I was 20.

First real paying job on the books with taxes and all was at Dairy Queen at age 16. I can now make a dip cone without dropping it into the hot chocolate or butterscotch stuff. What a talent to take with me through life. :lol:

Wendy's hamburger's... I was 16 and it was cool because I was able to by my own used car 6 months later. It was a 1990 Chevrolet Caviler:giggle:

Let's see started working at 16 for Hollywood Video (God I hate that place) for 7 years. Left now I work for a security firm and I am being contracted out by symantec corporation. I want to create photo books that I can sell in major chains.

I can't remember if I babysat or delivered newspapers first. That was when I was 13 or so. I detassled seed corn the summer I turned 14 (you couldn't do it until after you turned 14). That was unspeakably awful work. The crew I was on worked 10 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. If it was raining you kept losing your tennis shoes in the mud and if it was hot you had sweat pouring into your eyes. It's all part of growing up in Iowa, I guess - at least it used to be 25 years ago. I never hear about kids doing it anymore.

I worked because my parents didn't believe in giving us an allowance and I was tired of having only $5 to my name in my piggybank. Plus I wanted to be able to buy my own clothes.

First job was through the city's summer youth employment program when I was 15, working as a day camp counselor at a community center in the housing project across the highway from where I lived. I tried to work the summer when I was 16 but nobody would hire me! That Fall though I got an after-school (college in my case) evening and weekend job as a sales clerk in the mens' underwear department at a department store, worked that job for a year including full-time during term breaks and in the summer.

WHY - money of course, I saved some of it and used some of it to pay for school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom