What was the very first record/CD/tape/8 track cartridge you bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyedgirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The first record I bought was Kate Bush "Wuthering Heights" single. :rockon:

Honourable mention to my dad who bought me Abba's "Arrival" and Mario Lanza's Christmas Hits! :happy:

What was yours?

The very first I bought of each thing:

CD Album - Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
CD Single - Puff Daddy ft/ Jimmy Page - Come With Me
12" Record - Crowded House - Crowded House
7" Record - Split Enz - I Got You/Double Happy
Tape - Crowded House - Temple Of Lowmen
8 Track Cartridge - Yet to buy one, would be fun though

I'm not sure which I bought first with my own money, but the very first album I ever owned all to myself was "Like a Virgin" by Madonna. It was a gift when I was in the third or fourth grade. The next two tapes I owned were "Primitive Love" by Miami Sound Machine and "Slippery When Wet" by Bon Jovi.

The first CD I ever purchased was "Siamese Dream" by Smashing Pumpkins.

"Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins." "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Sorry. Just had to add that. :wink:

'Tainted Love" - Soft Cell was my first single.

My first tape was Full Boar - one of those compliation thingies. (But I was given Dr Hook and Rolf Harris cassettes by family before that. )

My first record - "Arrival" - ABBA. :cookiemonster:

I still have it with its $3.99 sticker from Coles on the front. I recently bought the remastered CD. lol

8 track cartridge? bloody hell woman! how old are you?
:lmao:

Amongst my Cassingles I had a Wham! tape, a Chipmunks tape, a Dire Straits tape and some mixed compilation, but I cannt recall which came first. The Chipmunks or George Michael. I shouldn't have made that joke should I?...My first cd ever was either um another compilationormaybeitwasmotleycrueorsomething...oh wow look at the time...

Quick call the cops! I officially have a stalker! Beli :hug:

:lol:

Ange, I saw you write MOTLEY CRUE, maaaaate.

As for the 8 track cartridge, I remember when I was about 7 or so, one of my friends had an older brother who always used to go on about 8 tracks and his quadrophonic system. He turned out to be a prophet. :wink:

do you remember me haranguing you in IO as well? hahaha mark this down. the word harangue appeared in bandc! wooo! it's a day for firsts. i'm trying to deflect from the stalker label you are trying to pin on me. you libelous....a prophet you say?

Angela Harlem said:
do you remember me haranguing you in IO as well? hahaha mark this down. the word harangue appeared in bandc! wooo! it's a day for firsts. i'm trying to deflect from the stalker label you are trying to pin on me. you libelous....a prophet you say?

I thought she was calling me a stalker :sad:

8 track...air supply But for the record, it was my father who bought it he got an 8 track player for his car.

Record (45)... Bonnie Tyler, Total Eclipse of the Heart. Yeah I was 5 so sue me.

Record (LP) ... Inxs Kick

Tape... Tiffany again, please remember I was 11 and didn't know any better.

CD... The Joshua Tree, I think...

Legal Download (itunes), full album.. Tale of a Librarian, Tori Amos

Hell if I can remember my first record or tape, but I do recall getting my first CD player way back in 1987 or so, and I was given Paul McCartney's All The Best with it.

The first CD I actually bought was Squeeze - Singles, 45's and Under. Given all the other stuff that was out at the time, I'm quite proud of that. :wink:

Still have it too.

phanan said:
The first CD I actually bought was Squeeze - Singles, 45's and Under. Given all the other stuff that was out at the time, I'm quite proud of that. :wink:

Still have it too.

Well done. Squeeze CDs are really difficult to come by these days.

Cassette - Babylon Zoo - Spaceman (my first single) ...1996...I was eight I think...great song.
7" - Franz Ferdinand - Matineé last year....
12" - U2 - New Year's Day (Maxi-single) and War at the same time two years ago...
CD single - Bob Marley vs. Funkstar Deluxe - Sun is Shining (remix) back in 1999 when I was eleven...
CD album - The Beatles 1962-1966/1967-1970 when I was five...they did come out in 1993 right?

Cassette Single: Pato Banton and UB40 - Baby Come Back
Cassette Album: Take That - Everything Changes

CD Single: Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There
CD Album: Spice Girls - Spice

Yes ... I was a teenybopper. This is my testimony :reject:

The first album I ever bought was Journey's Evolution ... then I
immediately followed with Journey's Infinity ... :drool:

As for CDs and Cassettes ... I remember buying several at one time, but never started my own collection with just one ...
I'd have to say that I bought alot of late 70s and early 80s rock on CD and Cassette to start with ...

My CD and Cassette List would have looked something like this ...

AC/DC, Aerosmith, A Flock Of Seagulls, Pat Benatar, Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Chicago,
The Cure, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, ELO, Eurythmics, Foghat, Foreigner, Genesis, Heart, Inxs, Journey, Judas Priest, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Stevie Nicks,
The Outfield, Pink Floyd, The Police, Queen, Queensyrche, REM, Rush, Scorpions, Styx, Supertramp, Survivor, Talking Heads,
Tears For Fears, UFO, Van Halen, Whitesnake, The Who, Yes and
ZZ Top ...

I'm probably missing a few bands in this list as well, but you get
the general idea ... :wink:

First cassette: The Police, Sychronicity :drool:
First CD: U2, The Joshua Tree (to replace my cassette that I had played into oblivion! :wink: )

I'm old enough to remember 8 tracks & vinyl - Hell, I had several of each when I was younger - but by the time I started spending my own money, it was cassettes then CDs.

And Ms. Mofo, it looks like our cassette/CD lists were separated at birth! :D Lots of similarities there. :up:

First single – Rolf Harris – ‘Two Little Boys’ – Don’t laugh, Bono & Edge have been known to sing this while drunk.
First ‘real’ single was either T.Rex ‘Ride A White Swan’ or Queen ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. After that I was buying Bowie, Elton John, Roxy Music, Rod Stewart, Wizard, The Sweet, Slade (still listen to those guys one in a while) and old Mowtown.
First Cassette – Alice Cooper ‘Schools Out’
First LP’s – T.Rex ‘Electric Warrior’ & Led Zep 4
First CD’s – One was a compilation disk ‘The Sound of Today’ with U2, Thompson Twins, Cure, etc on it and the other was Holst’s ‘The Planet suite.’

The first cassette I ever bought was either Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen or Reckless by Bryan Adams. I remember buying them within about a week of each other, but I'm not sure which one came first.

I bought a bunch of CDs all at once when I finally bought a CD player, but I can't remember exactly which ones. I think two of them were Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby because I had worn out the cassette versions.

First cassette (mid-1990s) - I Mother Earth - Scenery And Fish
(I later gave it to my brother, so the oldest cassette I bought is probably No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom)

First CD (late 1990s) - Blink 182 - Enema Of The State

First record (also late 90s :huh:) Frampton Comes Alive :wink:

Great thread, blueeyedgirl! I just love nostalgia threads like this one! :drool:

First cassette: Probably Grammy '86 which I got in '87. I was 9. First album was probably Amy Grant's Heart In Motion :reject: Anyway... too vague a memory.

First CD: This is a lot fresher in my mind... REM's New Adventures In Hi-Fi. Great cd! :up:

Never got records or 8 tracks. I'm not THAT old. :wink:

It was vinyl. And it was Elton John's Greatest Hits (the orginal one) in 1974 or thereabouts.

Last mainsteam album I ever bought, I swear!! Please don't take away my indie snob status. :ohmy: :shifty:

...well....there might have been a few more very early on.....

First cassette: Quiet Riot, Metal Health
First record: Ratt, Out of the Cellar
First CD: The Tragically Hip, Up to Here

I used to me a metalhead in my teen years. What pisses me off is that when CDs came out, they cost 23 bucks or more while the records and cassettes were 7.99 to 9.99. So I Kept buying records for a long time.:wink:

first cassette: beastie boys - license to ill
first cd: vanilla ice - to the extreme (yeah, yeah, i was only 12 and didn't know any better!)

Back
Top Bottom