What Talking Heads album should I start with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
Having listened through to the Talking Heads Best of that was released I think in 2004 a good few times, and having read some reviews surrounding the recent re-release of their material, and as a fan of Clap Your Hands, Arcade Fire, and some of those other bands that draw heavily on Talking Heads, I'm looking for a recommendation as to what album I should start out with.

My favourite tracks on the best of are almost all in its first half. I'm particularly keen on Found A Job, Life During Wartime, Once In A Lifetime, Heaven, Psycho Killer, Girlfriend is Better and Burning Down The House. I'm not overly keen, I must admit, on Road to Nowhere, or She Was.

So, having had a look through some websites, and read some reviews, it appears that the first four records are their best, particularly More Songs About Buildings and Food and Fear of Music.

So, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to start, and also if it's worth getting the re-releases?

Hmm. Speaking in Tongues is my favorite. More Songs About Buildings and Food is another classic. Also, Sand in the Vaseline is another collection of hits, though its a 2-disc collection...

I've heard of Sand in the Vaseline, but I'm loathe to try another best of, however good it is. I've always been a fan of the album as a whole, as a complete piece of work, which is why I want to go down the album route. Their Best of is actually one of the very few Best ofs I actually own.

You can't go wrong with any of their first 5 albums. I would probably just start with Talking Heads '77 and listen to the other albums in chronological order.

This isn't an an album, but if you're interested in the Talking Heads, rent or buy Stop Making Sense -- it's one of the best concert films ever made.

Back
Top Bottom