What Styles of Music Do You Listen to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Since we have aine's What's your favorite music style? I decided on doing What Styles of Music Do You Listen to? :D

Rock N' Roll and Heavy Metal are my two favorite styles of music but I listen to a lot more: rock n' roll, heavy metal, hard rock (that being in the AC/DC and early Aerosmith kind of hard rock not Poison or any of that stuff), thrash, punk rock, blues, country, folk and lately I've been listening to a lot of SOUL!!! A lot of Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Joe Cocker, Van Morison lately. No one sings better than soul singers!! I have also been listening to a lot of Motown stuff. There are some genres I don't like but I'm not going to list them. I have tried some three or four times before in the past to get into jazz but so far it hasn?t really done much to me. I'll keep on trying though and I'm sure I will find something that will take me in the future. Music is my life, corny but true. What about you all?

Heya!!!

I'm really ecletic, I'm a short list about band, and long one about music styles.
I love Blues, Old Rock N' roll, 60's and 80's, pop music from the 90's, acoustic/instrumental music, classic, progressive rock, progressive heavy metal, some hard core, pop rock, some rap and hip hop, and some that I call "hip pop", I also like a lot electronic music, and some music mixes!

As you said that music is your life, is definitly mine too, I'm always with a couple of favorites cds in my purse, and a discman, and sure, batteries, I just get pissed when they're over...

I dream through the songs, as Bono once said, they can take you somewhere else, and that's what happens to me, they totally take me somewhere else, and I totally let them take me.

Cool. I always have my diskman with me too. If I go to collage and at one point in the morning I don't listen to music then I'll end up with a shitty ass morning. :up:

I try to keep my mind (and ears) open to everything, but I admit I still have a hard time with the current state of 'country music'. Though there are even a few acts there who are pretty good (Nickel Creek in particular)

Anyways, here's the list:

Rock (classic, modern, whatever)
Pop
Alternative (whatever that may be)
Indie Rock
Indie Pop
Electronica (particularly chill-out and trance lately)
Punk (and most if its subgenres)
Post-punk
Rap
Hip Hop
Goth
Metal
New Age
New Wave
Classical
Oldies

"Classic " Rock music from 1960s to the
1970s. The Dead, Airplane. QMS, Big Brother, Dan Hicks, Hot Tuna, Jimi Hendrix, etc.
"Country" rock: The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, Gram Parsons, etc.
" L.A Music Scene": The Doors, Love,
CSN, CSNY, etc.
Mothers Of Invention, Little Feat, etc.
Blues: Muddy Waters, Albert King. BB King, Albert Collins, Johnny Winter,
SRV, etc.
Classical: Beethoven & Bach
Symphonic: Stravinsky, Varese,and Webern
Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Charlie
Parker, King Curtis, etc.
"British Invasion": The Beatles, Animals,
Herman's Hermits, Them, etc.
And of course U2. and The Cranberries
as well. :)

Last edited:
Ah I listen to so much different stuff. The only thing I don't listen to is rn'b and garage. My favourite stuff is atmospheric rock that isn't too pretentious though :)

I just stole u2popmofo's list (cause it kicks fuckin ass, mofo) and modified it a bit.

Rock (classic, modern, whatever)
Pop
Chill out
Trip Hop
Britpop
Ambient
IDM
Trance/Prog House
House
Acid Jazz
Alternative (whatever that may be)
Indie Rock
Alt Country
Indie Pop
Post-rock
Post-punk
Rap
Hip Hop
Turntablism
New Age
Classical
Singer/Songwriter
Oldies
Traditional (celtic, indian, what have you)
a bit of Jazz

ROCKn'ROLL!
thats all you need.(well thats what i need:wink: )

led zeppelin,ac/dc,gunsn'roses, 80 rock.
the music seen now just sucks alot of Alternative ,indi,punk,pop rock.
the only band that is rocking now is The Darkness!

alright...

rock n roll (the stuff they play on oldies and some classic rock stations + "revival" type things: buddy holly to chuck berry to the stray cats to rev. horton heat and everything in between)

"classic" punk rock such as the clash, the ramones, stiff little fingers, etc.

nyhc in the vein of agnostic front or murphy's law

boston hardcore in the vein of slapshot, the f.u.'s, gang green, or blood for blood

boston street punk in the vein of dropkick murphys, suspect device, street dogs, ducky boys

oi! (anti-facist or non-political. no racist crap.)

some legit (ie. not good charollete or blink 182) pop-punk (the descendents, some green day, etc.)

some post-punk

i'm not opposed to some goth...but not as far as some metal stuff

i like some metal. like old metallica, motorhead and a few others

i'm getting kicked off the computer now...more later.

Rock & Roll
Alternative
Indie Rock
Indie Pop
punk
Don't mind some hardcore goth metal but not for too long...
Bit of Jazz, country, blues & classical sometimes as well

Last edited:
I can't say there's any particular genre I dont like by definition
so I listen to every artist I do like

or something like that

I have the biggest collection of aussie music north of ... well, australia :D

and everyone should download/buy anything they can get their hands on by Hunters & Collectors or I will hunt you down

thank you

AFI is what I'm listening to a lot now for hardcore punk but I listen to rock like Nirvana and Foo Fighters. They're my favorite bands. Also, just classic rock and just a lot of other stuff. I listen to a lot of U2 also.

yertle-the-turtle said:

the only style of music I can honestly say I don't like is New Age. I just don't get it. :shrug:

Come on Yertle, you have HAVE to like at least one Enya, Clannad, or Vangelis song!!!!! You're saying you dont like the theme song to Chariots of Fire??? :ohmy:

First, props to AFI listening. :applaud:

Second, I'll try to compile my own list without copying off anyone else. Let's see here...I listen to...

Rock
Indie Rock/Pop
Brit Rock/Pop
Rap
R&B
Hip Hop
Alternative
Pop
Hardcore Punk
Country
New Age
Classical
Folk
Slowcore
Electronic's many subgenres, including:
- trance
- acid house
- chillout
- hard trance
- jungle, aka drum and bass
- techno
- goa/psy

I'll be very honest here

I've never heard the theme to Chariots of Fire.

slight generation gap of sorts? I don't know. Just never heard it. I just think the tranquil sounds of Yanni, Kitaro, and yes, Enya are well, plain dull.

i've got to admit i'm with yertle on new age...and also haven't heard chariots of fire. it's because of that rock i live under...only select things can find there way under.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'll be very honest here

I've never heard the theme to Chariots of Fire.

slight generation gap of sorts? I don't know. Just never heard it. I just think the tranquil sounds of Yanni, Kitaro, and yes, Enya are well, plain dull.

Actually it came out in 1981, so it's way before my time too. I was 3 or 4 when the movie came out. I suppose there could be a slight generation gap on the genre in general though. I think people who remember the '80's seem to accept synth-driven music a little more. Regardless, I think it's slightly unfair to put Enya in the same class as Yanni and Kitaro. She's got some beautiful stuff, extremely upbeat stuff, etc.

Seriously though, it's all good. I know I wasnt immediately into her kind of music either!

Haha... When I was in junior high, I totally mocked my mom for listening to Enya. And now I own two of her albums... :shifty:

On another random new age tangent, my roommate in high school had a Yanni CD, and although we made fun of him, we would listen to it to fall asleep at night. It was really quite good, at least in a relaxing kind of way.

My other recommendations for new age stuff would include Adiemus, whose music is stunning, and Deep Forest, which is an awesome blend of indigenous music and new age-type electronic stuff. I adore Deep Forest. :up:

ok, having read this thread and the examples mentioned I will admit to not liking new age :D

Rock, esp. grunge and brit pop
Funk
Techno, or dance or pop
Regae
Classical music, sometimes;):):wink:

Agree wholeheartedly about the Brit rock, but Brit pop can be good, too :).

I listen to a lot of new wave music-that's probably my favorite genre-I really love a lot of the music that came out in the 80s, the synth pop and some of the ska stuff and other things along that line. But I also love alternative stuff, classic rock, some rap and pop, and oldies-those are the genres I listen to most often. I've also enjoyed the occasional jazz, or blues, or classical (I couldn't for the life of me tell you who composed it and everything, though-I just find some of it pretty to listen to when I'm relaxing or something), or new age song, too.

Angela

heh, I have really eclectic tastes :drunk:

Rock (Guns 'N' Roses), Pop/Rock (U2, The Beatles), Alternative (REM), Emo (The Juliana Theory), Rap (Outkast, Run-DMC), Soul/Funk (James Brown), New Age (Enigma), Techno (Blank & Jones), Jazz (Keiko Matsui), Folk/Pop (Matt Nathanson), Punk (The Clash, Green Day), Pop (John Mayer), Just Weird (The Cat Empire)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Right now, though, I've been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen :cool:

My fav bands these days are, Nirvana, U2, Foos, the Cure, the Clash, early Blink 182, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Funeral for a Friend, Taking back Sunday, David Bowie, the Used, Sublime, the Stills, and there you go.

Back
Top Bottom