what should radiohead do next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, i agree jofo. but i really like their more abstract stuff too, but even that's pretty tame compared to aphex, autechre, whatever shit it is they're listening to.

i think i'll happy with whatever they do, because i actually trust them.

So many replies to this thread in so little time. Sometimes I think this little acreage of interference should still have its Radiohead name.

yeah it's amazing. you remove the hardcore u2 fans from this site, and i wonder if the majority of the leftovers are actually bigger radiohead fans than u2 fans. i know i'm one of them, but it's not just radiohead, there's lots of bands i like more these days.

What should Radiohead do now?

Release a full on angry record - in the muscial vein of Pablo Honey- giving full vent to their frustation and anger at the state of the world - i.e. as U2 used to do before Bono started sucking up to criminals like Blair & Bush, etc...

In my opinion, the last record was quite angry in its own right. Even though Hail to the Thief didn't project anger through obvious sonic gestures, there were undertones of discontent and protest in the lyrics and the delivery. If Radiohead (or any band for that matter) went into the studio with the intent of anger for the sake of anger... the message would become too redundant. There's a subtle difference between a polemic and a melodical thrashing. Sometimes subversive is the appropriate route.

AcrobatMan said:

Allow me to explain:-

Criminality = breach of law

Breach of international law = particularly serious breach of law

Invasion of Iraq = Breach of international law

Invasion of Iraq authorised by Blair/Bush,

Therefore Blair/Bush = criminals

qed!

cujo said:
In my opinion, the last record was quite angry in its own right. Even though Hail to the Thief didn't project anger through obvious sonic gestures, there were undertones of discontent and protest in the lyrics and the delivery. If Radiohead (or any band for that matter) went into the studio with the intent of anger for the sake of anger... the message would become too redundant. There's a subtle difference between a polemic and a melodical thrashing. Sometimes subversive is the appropriate route.

I agree with what you have said, its just I'm more into confrontation than subversion at the moment. But yes, Hail to the Thief could be intrepreted as a protest record.

AcrobatMan said:

few international laws are rubbish - absolute rubbish.

we will discuss those on FYM :)

lets talk radiohead here

Well that's a fair point. If you'd excuse me, I'm just going back to the asylum now (i.e., FYM).

Point taken, this section is supposed to be about music and not politics.

Happy Christmas, War is Over - J Lennon

You know, it's not impossible to do new things with music and use powerchords; look at Tool. Not that I'd want Radiohead to make a Tool album. Rather, I'd just like to see them experiment with more than just ambience in the future... like make a Rockabilly album! :sexywink:

I don't really care, I'm a radiohead fan but not a fanatic. I'm always happy with the result and direction they take.

I considered replying to this thread, but really, what would I say? All the usual wits have all bases covered by the look of things.

At the very least they should put out a DVD from the last tour. Immediately. With lots of good bonus material. :angry:

Write a bunch of songs without Jonny Greenwood and then let him come in and add to it and make it dazzling. Otherwise they'll just base it around anything he does.

full on early 80's thrash metal like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.

I swear it would sound good.

That or a classical based album with tons of strings and fucked up schzoid guitar and Yorke throat.

Or whatever. Just don't duplicate Pablo Honey, please.

the tourist said:
Write a bunch of songs without Jonny Greenwood and then let him come in and add to it and make it dazzling. Otherwise they'll just base it around anything he does.

considering he's a genius, i don't see how that's a bad thing if they build songs around him. he puts most everyone else in music to shame.

Zoomerang96 said:

considering he's a genius, i don't see how that's a bad thing if they build songs around him. he puts most everyone else in music to shame.

except for John Tesh, of course.

I would think Zoomerang96's comment about Jonny Greenwood was insane hyperbole, had I not listened to his Bodysong CD. That is some pretty interesting shit.

Anyway I dispute the whole basis of the original comment above. Interviews suggest to me that Thom basically wrote all the recent songs on his own and then delivered them to the rest of the band for treatment.

Back
Top Bottom