What should I do in Seattle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to the Nirvana Hall of Fame.

J/k, it doesn't exist.

In reality, I've never been there. All I know about Seattle you could squish into a thimble.

Seattle = grunge rock. Frasier. And some toer that looks like a CN Tower knockoff.

Last edited:
Ok, you had me going there. So in my research to find an address for the Nirvana Hall of Fame that doesn't exist, I did discover the Experience Music Project www.emplive.com which sounds way cool.

And I've also learned that there is a new Jim Turrell :drool: installation at the Henry Art Gallery. Must. See. www.henryart.org/exhibits/current/turrell.htm

Last edited:
Grunge is dead.

The EMP is pretty cool if a bit corporate. It is owned by Paul Allen, the Microsoft Millionaire. There is a large Jimi Hendrix section and a section on the history of Seattle music and some guest exhibits. The EMP is located in Seattle Center, right next to the Space Needle so you could take the elevator to the top of the needle and check out the view while you are there. That's the ultimate touristy thing that everyone wants to do when they come here. From there you could take our token monorail ride from Seattle Center to Westlake Center. There is only one stop so you can't get lost. Once at Westlake Center it is only a short walk downhill a few blocks to 1st Ave and Pike Street Market.

If I were you I would go to Pike Street Market. There is always something colorful and fun going on there. Lots of good food and flowers and crafts and street performers. You have to go in the daytime though because everything closes down after 5pm. If you have time you could walk down the steps to the waterfront and have salmon and chips and chowder at the waterfront. You could even take a ferry ride. You don't need a destination you could just go for a ride out on Puget Sound and then turn around and come back.

While you are at Pike Street Market you can pick up a copy of Seattle's free alternative weekly, The Stranger and check out the calendar section to see what shows are going on that evening. Actually, if you want to get a head start you can check out The Stranger online at: www.thestranger.com (click on the calendar section)

Broadway Ave. on Capitol Hill is a good place to go for nightlife. Lots of interesting people walking around and lots of good bars and restaurants.

This is a beautiful time of year to visit Seattle. Everything is in full bloom and there is a good chance that the sun will actually be out while you are there. Have fun!

Last edited:
Have lots and lots of fun
all I know about Seattle is that old song

"...the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle
the greenest grass you'll ever see is in Seattle
Like a beautiful child, growing up free and wild
Full of hopes and full of dreams......."
woops, singing again, but I loved that song.

I heard on the radio that there is a museum exhibiton just opened in Australia all about the "flannie"( flanette shirt) :)

wishing you blue skies

cass said:
Have lots and lots of fun
all I know about Seattle is that old song

"...the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle
the greenest grass you'll ever see is in Seattle
Like a beautiful child, growing up free and wild
Full of hopes and full of dreams......."
woops, singing again, but I loved that song.

Dave Graney performed that song when I went to see him in Australia. I felt like he was playing it just for me. And it's true, when the sun does actually come out here the sky is an incredible shade of blue that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Zoomerang96 said:
id definitly hook up with calluna if i made the trek to seattle again. :up:

Definitely, bear. But you should wait until you over 21 because unfortunately Seattle is not an all-ages kind of town. Notiti can attest to this fact.

dan savage...any relation to that kid on that tv show named savage?

i bet there is...

*opens investigation

I :heart: Seattle! I have been there a few times, but most recently last September to see Coldplay.
I agree with what Calluna said... The EMP is cool, but takes a good two hours at least to go through and don't expect to see any U2 stuff.
The Space Needle is cool I guess, except 8 years ago it cost $7.50 USD to take the elevator up to the observation deck which I can only imagine has at least doubled in price now. :slant:

Last time I was there I did the "Underground Walking Tour" of old Seattle in Pioneer Square. It was sooo cool and I must say I am not much for touristy things. This tour was a lot of fun, very quirky and quite informative of a useless trivial nature! :wink: Basically Seattle has been built up as hig h as twenty five feet or more in some places... so what used to be ground level shops are now basements... Very interesting!

Definately go to Pike Place Market and watch the fish guys throw around their catch. They are pretty hilarious. :up:
I must say... I have never found Seattle to have any kind of night life at all... I don't know where everyone goes after dark but it's not downtown. :crazy:

Here's a picture I took on my way home to Victoria last September of the Seattle skyline:

3374946%3B23232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D494%3D8%3A6%3Dxroqdf%3E2323336547%3B87ot1lsi

Thanks, everybody! I think I will skip the EMP and just do the Turrell installation at the Henry and go to Pike Street Market. That's about all I'll have time for really unless I get sidetracked by an awesome shoe store. :sexywink:. Is the Henry Art Gallery anywhere near Pike Street Market?

Also I hear there's good Thai food to be had. Any recommendations? It's my favorite ethnic food and we just don't have it here in New Mexico so whenever I travel I try to get my Thai fix.

The Henry Art Gallery is not anywhere near Pike Street Market. The gallery is in North Seattle on the University of Washington campus. You'd need some sort of transportation, public or otherwise, to get downtown. If you don't have time to go downtown you could take a walk on the University campus. The Washington Park Arboretum is also nearby and that is lovely this time of year. You could also shop or grab a bite to eat on funky University Ave. Just be prepared to see lots of homeless junky teenagers.

There are Thai food places all over the place here. I don't think you will have any trouble locating one no matter which area you visit.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I'll figure the transportation out. Thanks!

Dan Savage is the Seattle 'Stranger's nationally syndicated sex columnist (and armchair warmonger).

Back
Top Bottom