what non-U2 music inspires creativity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
For me whenever i listen to coldplay i feel like i could write 20 novels. The music somehow tugs at my imagination so i always put it on whenever i write. what do y'all listen to for creative inspiration?

sometimes i feel that the music i like has certain... "color" and I've always found a conection with the colors and the atmosphere in my drawings...

*Metallica... i feel that their heavy, fast, rythm boostes my brain...
*Smashing pumpkins... some of my work is inspired by their music.
*the cure

It really depends on my mood. I mean five years ago I had a tremendous period of artistic activity and I was listening to NIN almost exclusively.

Now I'm finding I am most inspired by the layers I find in the music of The Church, Gersey, Art of Fighting, Isidore, Sleepwell. I find that all of these have eschewed more commercial pursuits in favor of music which appeals to their artistic leanings, and that is also really inspiring too.

Well, it's inspiring as long as I don't think too much about their bank accounts.... :huh:

sigur ros IS post-rock.

but i agree, regardless of their genre that they inspire me. maybe not so much () but a.b. certainly does.

various IDM, shoegazer stuff gets me going. some indy/alt rock too, but by that i mean mostly broken social scene and wilco.

mostly non-English, shoegazer, or instrumental stuff....Super Furry Animals (in Welsh), Lasse Lindh (in Swedish), Kent (in Swedish), Sigur Ros, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (in Welsh), Mogwai, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Susumu Yokota, Spiritualized/Spacemen 3, Mew, Kosheen (1st album), GSY!BE, Mum, Mazzy Star, On!Air!Library!, The Notwist, Alpha, Craig Armstrong, Zero 7, Saint Etienne, Stars, Elbow, Doves, Portishead, Four Tet....

Music that inspires me:

The Gladiator Soundtrack
Children Of Dune Soundtrack
NIN
Enigma
Lisa Gerrard
Dead Can Dance

When I suffer from writer's block, my top three to turn for inspiration are usually:

Ryan Adams
Bright Eyes
Elliott Smith.

today I noticed that Joaquin Sabina's music serves well too

he's a spanish songwriter

Jack In The Box said:

I don't think so, but ok, they are

just out of curiousity, what makes you think they aren't? are you thinking stuff like gy!be or even explosions in the sky, etc. are post rock, and sigur ros aren't? just wondering...

i think of all those bands together as post-rock, but what do i know anyway?

Zoomerang96 said:

just out of curiousity, what makes you think they aren't? are you thinking stuff like gy!be or even explosions in the sky, etc. are post rock, and sigur ros aren't? just wondering...

i think of all those bands together as post-rock, but what do i know anyway?

I don't know nothing about music styles, for that reason I don't have nothing to say right now :|

sigur ros are post rock because their feeling (in music), but in a orthodox way, they aren't

blah, blah, blah...

zoomerang :kiss:

Last edited:
Depending on my mood:

Elton John

Bon Jovi- Gets my adrenaline going

Duran Duran I :heart: them, they bring me back to my youth :sad:

So many songs......
"Everybody's Girl" or "Used Black Cars" by Jen Foster,
(Go to Amazon for song samples), she's currently touring ( go to her website), Coldplay, Nils Lara, REM, Patti Griffin.

some good albums:

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

and yes, nick cave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom