What music program do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What music program do you use?

• Winamp

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Windows Media Player

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Itunes

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Other (please post in thread)

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

beli

Blue Crack Addict
I have been uploading my CDs to Itunes but Itunes saves the files as m4a's. Im curious to know what music program people use to listen to music on their computer.

I've been using Winamp since before I hit puberty.

I use iTunes on my Powerbook, though. It's nice, but I die a little inside knowing that there's a llama out there whose ass is going unwhipped.

Last edited:
dandy said:
winamp, after all these years. :up:

i have itunes on my pooter, but it's a beast of a program. i mainly use it for ripping mp3s.

But Itunes doesn't create mp3s it creates those m4a thingies. Or am I missing something?

you can reset itunes to do mp3s. just go to edit-preferences-importing tab, and there should be an option to change it. i go back and forth between when i want to put things in my ipod (m4a) and when i want to burn mp3 cds (mp3s)

shrmn8rpoptart said:
you can reset itunes to do mp3s. just go to edit-preferences-importing tab, and there should be an option to change it. i go back and forth between when i want to put things in my ipod (m4a) and when i want to burn mp3 cds (mp3s)

Excellent. Thank you. I have reset my Itunes as per your instructions.

Thanks again. :up:

It's text-based so you don't have a lot of fancy graphics slowing you down and the visualizer is very small and able to be got rid of if you don't like it. You can have a lot of playlists open at once in tabs. It's moderately easy to customize the title formatting and the colors used -- it requires a bit of experimentation but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it. You can set it to display a text balloon every time the song changes... and there's loads of plugins you can install that are really useful. I highly suggest you give it a try. It's not the greatest for ripping and burning CDs, but it's excellent for listening to music.

shrmn8rpoptart said:

Good to know. Thanks.

And if you haven't figured it out from that statement, I use iTunes.

well, I started on Window Media Player,
then went to Real Player,
then back to windows media player,
currently on itunes.

why?
haven't got a clue...just wound up that way.:der:

this place seems to have eaten my post.

winamp. i was going to use itunes, but most of my files are ripped as .wma's, but i don't like the windows media player too much. is there anyway (short of re-ripping them all as mp3s - which i don't want to do because it took forever to get them all on the computer in the first place. at the time i didn't know there was much of a difference between wma and mp3) to convert them to mp3s in one massive conversion or something?

I used to use WMP, but recently I have switched to RealPlayer. I like the cosmic belt visual. :nerd:

I've used pretty much all of them at some point in time. Used to use WinAmp a TON with some WinMediaPlayer a lot too. Now I'm using iTunes the most. I'm sure I'll change again some time in the future.

beli said:
Also, is there a way to convert m4a's to mp3's, please?

Yes, you can. To convert from AAC to MP3:

Go to Preferences. Selectct Importing. Select MP3.

Then select the track you wish to convert. Click "Advanced", and Convert Track To MP3.

The file will convert to MP3 and be added to the top of your library.

You can use the same procedure to convert MP3 to AAC, just reverse your Importing selections.

FYI-You can convert multiple files at the same time. Simply highlight all the files you'd like to convert and proceed.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Yes, you can. To convert from AAC to MP3:

Go to Preferences. Selectct Importing. Select MP3.

Then select the track you wish to convert. Click "Advanced", and Convert Track To MP3.

The file will convert to MP3 and be added to the top of your library.

You can use the same procedure to convert MP3 to AAC, just reverse your Importing selections.

FYI-You can convert multiple files at the same time. Simply highlight all the files you'd like to convert and proceed.

Excellent :up: Thanks. Lets see if it will let me convert 1,501 songs at once. lol.

beli said:

Excellent :up: Thanks. Lets see if it will let me convert 1,501 songs at once. lol.

That will take a while. A long while. AAC sounds better and are smaller than MP3. I only convert to MP3 when burning a disc for my car (I have a MP3 player)

Back
Top Bottom