what makes a fan a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
When do you know you are a fan, not just an engaged and interested listener?

Besides U2, what other bands are you truly fans of?

(Warning: I am a writer and blogger and life is my research. Anything posted in this thread may inspire my future prose.)

I think you're a fan if you like more than one song of that band and have the desire to hear more by that band.

If you are determined to buy a new album the day that it is released, you are probably a fan of that band. There are maybe seven groups to whom I have that type of devotion.

Anu said:
When do you know you are a fan, not just an engaged and interested listener?

I think it's hard, if not impossible, to draw any kind of line. I don't believe any criteria should really be established, but I also don't buy the "if you like a few songs, you're a fan" argument. In many cases, people would be better considered fans of a song rather than fans of the actual band. For example, I know a guy who thinks Elevation and Vertigo are fantastic songs (yeah, I know :|), but he isn't interested in U2 otherwise and I don't think he could be considered a fan of the actual band at all.

I don't know if any hard and fast rule can be applied. For example, I consider myself a fan of both U2 and Cynic - however, I am highly active on Interference and I run a U2 setlist database, while I just enjoy listening to Cynic's sole album, Focus, and don't know much else about the band (except for bassist Sean Malone, who's in other bands I like such as Gordian Knot and OSI).

Besides U2, what other bands are you truly fans of?

My primary interests are The Shadows, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Anathema, Pure Reason Revolution, Orphaned Land, Joy Division, Crowded House, and Split Enz. I'm also very much interested in other bands like Pink Floyd, The Chills, Blackfield, Spock's Beard, etc. I would consider myself a serious fan of a band if I have a bootleg/live album or would download one if I had the opportunity.

I would say that if you're buying the albums, you're a fan. If you're also going to the live shows, you're a big fan. If you're also buying every new release on the release date and/or collecting memorabilia, you're a devoted fan.

If the band goes on tour, and you try to get tickets the day they go on sale, you're a fan....and, yes, if you buy every album, soon after its release, you are a fan. If you find yourself defending the band if soneone speaks poorly of them....you are a fan. If you have pet pig, you are a f.....no, you're a redneck, sorry. I also agre a bit with Axver, that it's hard to really lay down a set of rules that determine if you're a fan...I think it's easier to do with sports teams than bands....

Other bands I am a fan of (past and present), where I meet/met
the above criteria:

REM
Pearl Jam
Radiohead
Doves
Elbow
Catherine Wheel
10,000 Maniacs
Rush
Zeppelin (Not old enough to have seen them in concert, but sure would have)
Beatles (See Zeppelin)
The Who (See Zeppelin)

There are other bands or acts that I truly love, but, perhaps not with the same fervor that I have for the above.

A "true" fan, as elitist as that sounds, consumes all of the artist's work. They listen obsessively to it. So someone who hasn't heard every album can't be considered a "true " fan. Of course, that is only opinion.

As for what other artists I am a fan of: The Police, Kate Bush, Sting, Genesis (Peter Gabriel-led), Coldplay, Todd Rundgren, Utopia, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel and Smashing Pumpkins.

The ability to vehemently defend inferior recent material released by said band. AM I RITE? :drool:

When its part of your everyday life,
When you've been listening for years and they still sound great'
When they still make you :drool:
When you see them live over and over again
When you just have to meet them before you die

Listening to others for years:

Springsteen
Beatles
Inxs
the Doors
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last edited:
Buying albums, buying tickets to shows, knowing the names of the members, liking more than one song, actually knowing something about the band, keeping up to date with news on them.

I guess you could say I'm a hardcore fan of Radiohead, The Beatles, Wilco, U2, Coldplay, and Sigur Ros.

your a fan if you're willing to pay money to either see them in concert or buy a cd

Like many have said before, you're a fan if you buy the albums, go to the concerts, buy the merch and know all of the band members names.

LemonMacPhisto said:
...have the desire to hear more by that band.

:up: While like Axver said there are no hard and fast rules, I think the desire to hear more is the most important part of being a fan.

I think there are no rules... When you're a fan you know that you're a fan... As simple as that! I know I'm a fan when:

- I count the days to the realeses of new albums or dvds;
- I turn the radio louder when I'm in my car and their music comes on (even though I have the songs at home:wink: );
- I like to talk about that band with my friends and tell them how amazing their work is (sometimes make them listen to a couple of songs:p )
- I get a little pain on the stomach before they come on stage and I can't eat much some hours before the concerts (I usually take suggar to concerts:rolleyes: ...)

And many more...

besides U2 I'm a fan of:

Muse
Arcade Fire
Franz Ferdinand (my guilty pleasure :p I know they're not an amazing band as some magazines call them and they don't bring anything new to music, in fact that was never their intention... But I love them! And they put on a great live show...)

annie_vox said:
When you're a fan you know that you're a fan.

Yip, everyone has a different opinion on what a fan is. I think a fan is someone who enjoys a band's music, is rather familiar with their stuff. They don't have to like everything they do or own every single album or single they have released.

I'm a fan of Travis, Embrace and Yann Tiersen

this is the worst kind of question because it can lead to a "I'm a bigger fan than you are" kind of argument. Everyone has a different definition of "fan". For me, a fan would be someone who listens to more than just an album or a few songs of a band/artist, perhaps owns some merchandise/posters/shirts...etc, knows the names of more than 1 person in the band (i.e. not just Bono), still gets excited hearing a song on the radio. Spends way too much money on their favorite band (me!) or sometimes does things other people think are weird: attach a sign to the back of your car that says what concert you're going to: Destination Elevation, or wearing your U2 license plate around your neck to shows. :lol: But that's just the way I see it.

I can go more general and say a fan is anyone who doesn't scalp tickets or isn't a broker when tickets to my favorite bands go on sale!!!

I'm a fan of a lot but here are a few:

Tori Amos
Toad the Wet Sprocket/Glen Phillips
Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan/Billy Corgan
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Rolling Stones
Live
Pearl Jam
STP
Garbage
Rush
Goo Goo Dolls

You know you are a fan when you consist of blades that spin around in a circle really fast to produce an air current

MrPryck2U said:
Like many have said before, you're a fan if you buy the albums, go to the concerts, buy the merch and know all of the band members names.

I'm a fan of a lot of bands but don't know the band members names. I drove all day to see Sigur Ros, have all the records, bought multiple merchandise items at the show, and consider myself a huge fan. I only know Jonsi by name, and learned it only after the fact, and it isn't because they have foreign names. This is true for me for a lot of bands. Wilco is one of my top 3 favorite bands but the band members' names don't exactly flow from my tongue. I'll recognize all the names in print but I can't always come up with them on my own. It just isn't important to me.

Also, a lot of fans live in remote places and don't have the opportunity to attend shows and buy merchandise, or even have the money to buy the music, for that matter. Does this make them lesser fans?

I agree with the person who said there are no rules and that you know when you're a fan regardless of how someone else might define that.

joyfulgirl said:

I'm a fan of a lot of bands but don't know the band members names. I drove all day to see Sigur Ros, have all the records, bought multiple merchandise items at the show, and consider myself a huge fan. I only know Jonsi by name, and learned it only after the fact, and it isn't because they have foreign names. This is true for me for a lot of bands. Wilco is one of my top 3 favorite bands but the band members' names don't exactly flow from my tongue. I'll recognize all the names in print but I can't always come up with them on my own. It just isn't important to me.

Also, a lot of fans live in remote places and don't have the opportunity to attend shows and buy merchandise, or even have the money to buy the music, for that matter. Does this make them lesser fans?

I agree with the person who said there are no rules and that you know when you're a fan regardless of how someone else might define that.

a "fan" is whatever you make it to be. we all have our definitions :up:

Chizip said:
You know you are a fan when you consist of blades that spin around in a circle really fast to produce an air current

I was just coming here to post that. :mad:

In all seriousness, I agree with joyfulgirl and Lara Mullen and whoever else has said the same thing. :up:

Originally posted by U2Girl416
a "fan" is whatever you make it to be. we all have our definitions :up:

Exactly right !! :yes:

My definition would be 'first and foremost' to listen to a band's music and 'secondly' would be liking their music so much that you're really enjoying what you hear. :applaud:

You should know at least 2 of the band members' names. I mean, c'mon already, learn some names! LOL! I'm just jokin', but you know what I mean. You should know about the band.

Screwtape2 said:
A "true" fan, as elitist as that sounds, consumes all of the artist's work. They listen obsessively to it. So someone who hasn't heard every album can't be considered a "true " fan. Of course, that is only opinion.
I wish I could afford to buy all Frank Zappa albums :drool:

MrPryck2U said:
You should know at least 2 of the band members' names. I mean, c'mon already, learn some names! LOL! I'm just jokin', but you know what I mean. You should know about the band.

:wink:

I do agree, and I get what you're saying. It's just that some bands that I like evoke an interest in the band (names, personal info, other musical projects, etc) like U2 and Radiohead, but with others I'm just into the music and have no draw to know about the band. I think the latter applies mostly to newer, younger bands. The problem with Wilco in the past has been the ever-changing cast of characters but you're right, I should know all their damn names by now, lol.

MrPryck2U said:
Thanks for sharing! Is Kool and the Gang one of your favorite bands? They got like ten guys in their group. lol!

No, I unfortunately (finally) ran out of room after The Boys Choir of Harlem.
:(

Back
Top Bottom