what makes a fan a fan? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 01-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 12:35 PM
what makes a fan a fan?

When do you know you are a fan, not just an engaged and interested listener?

Besides U2, what other bands are you truly fans of?

(Warning: I am a writer and blogger and life is my research. Anything posted in this thread may inspire my future prose.)

Stand up to rock stars!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:05 AM
You know you are a real fan because you buy ORIGINALS of cds

Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 07:35 AM
I think you're a fan if you like more than one song of that band and have the desire to hear more by that band.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
If you are determined to buy a new album the day that it is released, you are probably a fan of that band. There are maybe seven groups to whom I have that type of devotion.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Vocal parasite
Local Time: 11:35 PM
Re: what makes a fan a fan?

Originally posted by Anu
When do you know you are a fan, not just an engaged and interested listener?
I think it's hard, if not impossible, to draw any kind of line. I don't believe any criteria should really be established, but I also don't buy the "if you like a few songs, you're a fan" argument. In many cases, people would be better considered fans of a song rather than fans of the actual band. For example, I know a guy who thinks Elevation and Vertigo are fantastic songs (yeah, I know ), but he isn't interested in U2 otherwise and I don't think he could be considered a fan of the actual band at all.

I don't know if any hard and fast rule can be applied. For example, I consider myself a fan of both U2 and Cynic - however, I am highly active on Interference and I run a U2 setlist database, while I just enjoy listening to Cynic's sole album, Focus, and don't know much else about the band (except for bassist Sean Malone, who's in other bands I like such as Gordian Knot and OSI).

Besides U2, what other bands are you truly fans of?
My primary interests are The Shadows, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Anathema, Pure Reason Revolution, Orphaned Land, Joy Division, Crowded House, and Split Enz. I'm also very much interested in other bands like Pink Floyd, The Chills, Blackfield, Spock's Beard, etc. I would consider myself a serious fan of a band if I have a bootleg/live album or would download one if I had the opportunity.
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
War Child
Local Time: 06:35 AM
I would say that if you're buying the albums, you're a fan. If you're also going to the live shows, you're a big fan. If you're also buying every new release on the release date and/or collecting memorabilia, you're a devoted fan.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 05:35 AM
If the band goes on tour, and you try to get tickets the day they go on sale, you're a fan....and, yes, if you buy every album, soon after its release, you are a fan. If you find yourself defending the band if soneone speaks poorly of them....you are a fan. If you have pet pig, you are a f.....no, you're a redneck, sorry. I also agre a bit with Axver, that it's hard to really lay down a set of rules that determine if you're a fan...I think it's easier to do with sports teams than bands....

Other bands I am a fan of (past and present), where I meet/met
the above criteria:

Pearl Jam
Catherine Wheel
10,000 Maniacs
Zeppelin (Not old enough to have seen them in concert, but sure would have)
Beatles (See Zeppelin)
The Who (See Zeppelin)

There are other bands or acts that I truly love, but, perhaps not with the same fervor that I have for the above.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
A "true" fan, as elitist as that sounds, consumes all of the artist's work. They listen obsessively to it. So someone who hasn't heard every album can't be considered a "true " fan. Of course, that is only opinion.

As for what other artists I am a fan of: The Police, Kate Bush, Sting, Genesis (Peter Gabriel-led), Coldplay, Todd Rundgren, Utopia, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel and Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:35 AM
The ability to vehemently defend inferior recent material released by said band. AM I RITE?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
love, blood, life
When its part of your everyday life,
When you've been listening for years and they still sound great'
When they still make you
When you see them live over and over again
When you just have to meet them before you die

Listening to others for years:

the Doors
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:35 AM
Buying albums, buying tickets to shows, knowing the names of the members, liking more than one song, actually knowing something about the band, keeping up to date with news on them.

I guess you could say I'm a hardcore fan of Radiohead, The Beatles, Wilco, U2, Coldplay, and Sigur Ros.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
War Child
your a fan if you're willing to pay money to either see them in concert or buy a cd
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:35 AM
Like many have said before, you're a fan if you buy the albums, go to the concerts, buy the merch and know all of the band members names.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
...have the desire to hear more by that band.
While like Axver said there are no hard and fast rules, I think the desire to hear more is the most important part of being a fan.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #15
Local Time: 12:35 PM
I think there are no rules... When you're a fan you know that you're a fan... As simple as that! I know I'm a fan when:

- I count the days to the realeses of new albums or dvds;
- I turn the radio louder when I'm in my car and their music comes on (even though I have the songs at home );
- I like to talk about that band with my friends and tell them how amazing their work is (sometimes make them listen to a couple of songs )
- I get a little pain on the stomach before they come on stage and I can't eat much some hours before the concerts (I usually take suggar to concerts ...)

And many more...

besides U2 I'm a fan of:

Arcade Fire
Franz Ferdinand (my guilty pleasure I know they're not an amazing band as some magazines call them and they don't bring anything new to music, in fact that was never their intention... But I love them! And they put on a great live show...)