what makes a fan a fan? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
When you're a fan you know that you're a fan.
Yip, everyone has a different opinion on what a fan is. I think a fan is someone who enjoys a band's music, is rather familiar with their stuff. They don't have to like everything they do or own every single album or single they have released.

I'm a fan of Travis, Embrace and Yann Tiersen

Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Local Time: 12:38 PM
this is the worst kind of question because it can lead to a "I'm a bigger fan than you are" kind of argument. Everyone has a different definition of "fan". For me, a fan would be someone who listens to more than just an album or a few songs of a band/artist, perhaps owns some merchandise/posters/shirts...etc, knows the names of more than 1 person in the band (i.e. not just Bono), still gets excited hearing a song on the radio. Spends way too much money on their favorite band (me!) or sometimes does things other people think are weird: attach a sign to the back of your car that says what concert you're going to: Destination Elevation, or wearing your U2 license plate around your neck to shows. But that's just the way I see it.

I can go more general and say a fan is anyone who doesn't scalp tickets or isn't a broker when tickets to my favorite bands go on sale!!!

I'm a fan of a lot but here are a few:

Tori Amos
Toad the Wet Sprocket/Glen Phillips
Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan/Billy Corgan
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Rolling Stones
Live
Pearl Jam
STP
Garbage
Rush
Goo Goo Dolls

Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

You know you are a fan when you consist of blades that spin around in a circle really fast to produce an air current
Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Like many have said before, you're a fan if you buy the albums, go to the concerts, buy the merch and know all of the band members names.
I'm a fan of a lot of bands but don't know the band members names. I drove all day to see Sigur Ros, have all the records, bought multiple merchandise items at the show, and consider myself a huge fan. I only know Jonsi by name, and learned it only after the fact, and it isn't because they have foreign names. This is true for me for a lot of bands. Wilco is one of my top 3 favorite bands but the band members' names don't exactly flow from my tongue. I'll recognize all the names in print but I can't always come up with them on my own. It just isn't important to me.

Also, a lot of fans live in remote places and don't have the opportunity to attend shows and buy merchandise, or even have the money to buy the music, for that matter. Does this make them lesser fans?

I agree with the person who said there are no rules and that you know when you're a fan regardless of how someone else might define that.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I'm a fan of a lot of bands but don't know the band members names. I drove all day to see Sigur Ros, have all the records, bought multiple merchandise items at the show, and consider myself a huge fan. I only know Jonsi by name, and learned it only after the fact, and it isn't because they have foreign names. This is true for me for a lot of bands. Wilco is one of my top 3 favorite bands but the band members' names don't exactly flow from my tongue. I'll recognize all the names in print but I can't always come up with them on my own. It just isn't important to me.

Also, a lot of fans live in remote places and don't have the opportunity to attend shows and buy merchandise, or even have the money to buy the music, for that matter. Does this make them lesser fans?

I agree with the person who said there are no rules and that you know when you're a fan regardless of how someone else might define that.

a "fan" is whatever you make it to be. we all have our definitions
Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
You know you are a fan when you consist of blades that spin around in a circle really fast to produce an air current
I was just coming here to post that.

In all seriousness, I agree with joyfulgirl and Lara Mullen and whoever else has said the same thing.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl416
a "fan" is whatever you make it to be. we all have our definitions
Exactly right !!

My definition would be 'first and foremost' to listen to a band's music and 'secondly' would be liking their music so much that you're really enjoying what you hear.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You should know at least 2 of the band members' names. I mean, c'mon already, learn some names! LOL! I'm just jokin', but you know what I mean. You should know about the band.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:38 AM
I have tattoos of all my favourite band members faces on my arse.

It's a large arse.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thanks for sharing! Is Kool and the Gang one of your favorite bands? They got like ten guys in their group. lol!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #27
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
A "true" fan, as elitist as that sounds, consumes all of the artist's work. They listen obsessively to it. So someone who hasn't heard every album can't be considered a "true " fan. Of course, that is only opinion.
I wish I could afford to buy all Frank Zappa albums
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
You should know at least 2 of the band members' names. I mean, c'mon already, learn some names! LOL! I'm just jokin', but you know what I mean. You should know about the band.

I do agree, and I get what you're saying. It's just that some bands that I like evoke an interest in the band (names, personal info, other musical projects, etc) like U2 and Radiohead, but with others I'm just into the music and have no draw to know about the band. I think the latter applies mostly to newer, younger bands. The problem with Wilco in the past has been the ever-changing cast of characters but you're right, I should know all their damn names by now, lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #29
Jesus Online

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Is Kool and the Gang one of your favorite bands? They got like ten guys in their group. lol!
No, I unfortunately (finally) ran out of room after The Boys Choir of Harlem.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Re: what makes a fan a fan?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Besides U2, what other bands are you truly fans of?
Muse
The White Stripes
The Killers
Pink Floyd (More Recently)