What kind of Girly Pad should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of girly pad should I get?

• Buy. It's always always always better to buy no matter what.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Rent! Save $$! You can buy something later.

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Jess!

I'm sorry I havent even mentioned a thing to you about your separation... the forum is so hard to keep up with these days. I'm glad to see that things are positive though and ending on happy note - I hope that you and Steve will both be happier persons now. :)

As per my experience... I regret that I ever rented and didnt just stay home and save!! Mainly because Bill and I just bought a house a few months ago and it was so hard coming up with the down payment. When I think about the money I spent on my old apartment (which I did love) over the two years I lived there... that was close to 25,000 dollars that I could have saved. AT least with a mortgage you're investing and have something to show for your hard earned cash! So I would suggest either buying now... or else renting somewhere for the meantime where you'll be able to stash a good amount of cash away. Either way... good luck!!

Thanks everyone for all this very compelling input! :)

(((((SIR))))) I've missed you!

OK, well here's the scoop. Yesterday afternoon, my mom and I took another look at the highrise ap't that I was thinking of renting. It is in the most AWESOME part of town, and the price is right. The only problem with it, is that it is kind of 70s/cheesy, has older fridges, etc (but at least they're white and not avocado!). They are renovating it, but it's still a tad depressing somehow. But the apartment is large, and they are planning on painting it and making sure the floors are in good condition. My mom actually hates that apartment much more than I do, which is strange.

BTW, the one with the old folks is a hair too small, and that mirrored wall would just drive me nuts, so I think I'm going to forget that one.

Anyway, after work yesterday, we went and looked at this one condo that I really liked. I liked it just as much, if not more so than last time. It's not very big, but it does have a storage locker.

It's a one bedroom, and about 611 sq ft. It's in a gorgeous art deco building, that's about a 12 minute walk from work, and across the street from the subway...and lots of good shopping. I can walk to the gym and the vet, and just about everything else too.

Plus it is SO NOT cheesy. It's only a 3 year old condo, and everything is NEW and CLEAN and MODERN and LOVELY. It also has a concierge/24 hour security so I would be very safe. There seem to be some other single women on my floor.

As for the $, it's certainly not cheap, but I can afford it. If I put 10% down, I'd still get to keep a few thou of my house proceeds for emergencies.

The only worry is that it might be too small to accommodate all my furniture! :ohmy:

Well, I am putting in an offer this morning. If it is meant to be, I will get it...if not, I will just look at that apartment again as an option.

I will let you know what happens!

With your offer to buy, ask your agent to bid the seller to pay for the first year Homeowner's Warranty - this will give you 12 months peace and mind should anything go wrong with the condo - this warranty is then renewable year by year to the buyer...its sort of an insurance policy and covers most repairs for $35 or so max.

You'll sleep easier at night!

Last edited:
What is the Homeowner's Warranty? I think that is an American thing. :scratch: You guys also have totally different tax benefits in buying than we do....

Anyway, I have put in my bid, and we will see what happens! :eek:

Mrs. Edge said:
What is the Homeowner's Warranty? I think that is an American thing. :scratch: You guys also have totally different tax benefits in buying than we do....

Anyway, I have put in my bid, and we will see what happens! :eek:

:applaud:

Congratulations Jess! Hopefully you will be a homeowner soon!

About the home warranty..it's like supplemental coverage to your homeowner's insurance policy. I did a little checking and it looks like Canada might only have this for newly built homes but I could be wrong.

Home warranties pick up where insurance leaves off
Insure.com

Traditionally, home warranties have protected homeowners from repair costs that aren't covered by home insurance. Home warranties cover such things as the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and major appliances.

The mechanics of the home warranty
While home warranties aren't necessary for every homeowner, they can help sell a home by providing the buyer with added protection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home warranties cover malfunctions of major appliances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally, home warranties cover malfunctions of major appliances such as washers, dryers, ovens, and refrigerators. They also cover ductwork, plumbing, the electrical system, heating, and air-conditioning. In some cases, or for additional fees, the warranty might extend to garbage disposals, doorbells, ceiling fans, garage-door openers, water softeners, trash compactors, and built-in microwaves.

The National Board of Realtors describes home warranties as service contracts, typically lasting one year, that cover the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances that break down due to normal wear and tear. Home warranties don't overlap or replace the homeowners insurance policy. Think of it as a cause and effect relationship: If a hot water heater burst and destroyed a wall in your home, the warranty would repair the water heater and your insurance would pay to fix the wall.

Similarly, if your refrigerator were to stop working while you were on vacation, there could be spoilage, leakage, or floor damage. Your homeowners insurance might pay for the damage to the linoleum, while the home warranty would cover the fridge.

The age of your home usually doesn?t matter, as far as warranty coverage is concerned. You can obtain a home warranty, as long the covered items are in good working order at the start of the contract.

Home warranties cost about $350 to $400 a year, plus $35 to $50 per service call. If your home is in good condition, the expense might not be necessary. On the other hand, when you do need to pay for repairs in an aging home, the costs can mount quickly.

martha said:
Yeah, but renting may let you save money for a proper house, not a condo. Plus, renters have landlords to fix stuff. Owners have only themselves.

How you and your feet doing Martha?

Well, after all that wise counsel, I have gone and bought the condo! :faint:

My reasoning is in my journal for those who are interested :sexywink:

I am so excited! I a homeowner again! :hyper:

I am terrified too! I have only myself to depend upon! :uhoh:

It was great being rich on paper there for a few days...:sigh:

I sure hope I did the right thing!

Congrats! (late as always!) Always good to stay an owner once you become one! And don't worry about U2 tour costs, I'm sure you'll find many a friend to subsidize and lend funds!!!

Special Ms. Edge Fund...you could put up a tip jar at all Elevation performances...U2 tour funds in no time at all!!!

Back
Top Bottom