What is the most moving/heartbreaking thing you've SEEN (real and fiction)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
real:
sept. 11, 2001
an 8 year old boy lying on a metal table, next in line for an autopsy

fiction:
a reinaction of the play "the ragman" that i was in...an allegory to the story of christ's death on the cross

Real:
The death of my dog, Sam

Fiction:

Grump Old Men. When Jack Lemmon has a heart attack and Walter Watthau visits him in the hospital. I always cry when I see him (walter matthau) talk to the nurse.

its hard to say. there are alot of heartbreaking things i've seen in my life. my father telling my mother on my 15th birthday he remarried another woman. when i was 16 it was looking at my grandmother on her deathbed, not believing she was dead. in 1991 i watching my cat daisy die in my arms. a week before my buddy's death in 1996, it was the look of despair on his face. 9/11 was heartbreaking, but it was more anger than sadness.

i'll have to get back on the fiction part. to be continued...

real: uh... nothing... well, has anyone seen the VH1 special on John Lennon? At the end where they talk about him getting shot? I was sitting here bawling. :sad:

fiction: I cried for about a half hour at the end of Edward Scissorhands.

Real:
September 11th
all the funerals I've been to

Fiction:
-the end of Schindler's List (although this is based on reality, so maybe it should go in the real category?)
-I've cried at the end of a lot of movies...mainly any good movie where one of the main characters dies

Real:
- the first time you see your father cry
- when your wife looks at you and says, "maybe we shouldn't be together"
- And then the moment that the above statement finally sinks in and hits you
- Sept. 11, although not sure it was heartbreaking, a strange feeling I can't really describe.
- the sudden and unexpected death a friend
- seeing my grandmother dying of cancer

I don't really get heartbroken over fictional stuff.

Last edited:
Real:

- seeing Mum cry. It happened twice so far, and I won't get into details, but it was just so sad and heartbreaking knowing there was nothing I could do except hug her. And it was shocking because, you know, Mums usually fix stuff and always know what to do...

:sad:

Real:

watching my grandfather being put in a body bag after he passed away at home

my son's face in the hours after he found out his best friend was thrown through a car windsheild and decapitated in a car accident

my other son crumbling in tears at the same boy's funeral

9-11-01

Fictional:

I can't really say...I cry at commercials so I can't really narrow it down :shrug:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Looking at my dog one last time on the vet's table as the vet was giving him the shot that would make him sleep, and him looking at me as if saying, "Thank you for everything.". :sad:

Ohhhhhhh...:sad:...:hug:.

Kristie, I did the same thing during that John Lennon bit on that show you mentioned.

Bono's American Wife...wow...that's a lot of sad stuff there...

Let's see...

Real:

Like everyone else said, 9/11, definitely.

The death of my grandma

Fictional:

Um...I bawled like crazy at the end of "Bicentennial Man"...seriously, that movie has the saddest ending I've ever seen!

Angela

Fiction: two films by Claude Berri

Jean de Florette and

Manon des sources

It is a story in two parts about a lifetime of love missed, because of greed.

Real: I?ll keep to myself.

How I long for the time went I thought of my life as being about the things it included. Now it seems to be more about what is no longer here.

Last edited:
Real: Finding my cat dead in the basement earlier today. :sad:

Fake: I always cry during Here Comes Garfield! when they are taking Odie away to be "destroyed" and Garfield relives their old memories and that song "So Long, Old Friend" plays. :sad:

Ah, I forgot one
real: There was a lady that came into one of my classes last semester (she's native american) as a guest speaker, she was telling us the story her grandma would tell her about what happened when the Indian Removal Act was passed... it was absolutely heartbreaking.

Real: Three things from the day that we found out my dad had cancer...

When we came home and my mom was on the phone trying to tell my brother. All of a sudden I felt like a little girl again and went over and put my arms around my dad because I couldnt imagine anything happening to my daddy.

When I called to talk to my best friend about it and could hardly get the words out and she said that she was crying along with me. We have been best friends since Kindergarten and she is more like a sister.

Later that night my mom was sitting on the edge of the bed and started to cry and said that she didnt know what she would do without my dad...she couldnt hardly remember what her life was like without him in it.

Fiction: I very rarely cry at movies etc. but when I saw The Hours recently the storyline of Julieanne Moore's character brought tears to my eyes.

Another fiction one-watching "24" earlier tonight, and when the guy who's gonna drop the bomb out in the desert is saying to his daughter that he's not gonna make it out, and he's saying goodbye to her...yeah, that made me tear up (later something worked out where he wound up being okay, though-I can't remember what exactly happened right now with that, but he did wind up being okay, but at the time that was going on that was really sad...:().

Angela

Real: 9/11
Driving away from my best friend's (and at the time girlfriend's) work place after dropping off a letter that I knew would basically end the relationship and quite possibly end the friendship. I actually had to pull off the road to get myself together enough to keep driving.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Another fiction one-watching "24" earlier tonight, and when the guy who's gonna drop the bomb out in the desert is saying to his daughter that he's not gonna make it out, and he's saying goodbye to her...yeah, that made me tear up (later something worked out where he wound up being okay, though-I can't remember what exactly happened right now with that, but he did wind up being okay, but at the time that was going on that was really sad...:().

Angela

I watched that and thought about this thread, too:yes:

After living with these characters a season and a half you really relate to them.

There is something very sacred about...... no greater love than to give one's life for another.

Real...the day my dog died. Taking the body to the vet, just leaving it there, and seeing my dad cry. There's something so terrible about watching a parent cry. it destroys you. You don't know what to do...

Also real: The day I graduated from my dance school. They called me and the three other graduates onstage at the end of our last recital to receive flowers, and I was bawling before they even said my name. All I remember is seeing everything through a sea of tears. Afterward, I had so many parents come up to me and tell me they wanted their kids to grow up to be like me, kids come up to me and say how much they admired me. It was heartwrenching because it was a phase in my life that I had to leave behind--leaving behind your childhood, and I'll always miss it very much.

Fiction: I cry at everything: so many movies and books--Apollo 13, The Wizard of Oz, The Little Mermaid (really), Life is Beautiful, Sophie's Choice, Little Women..basically anything where people die simply ruins me. I'd have to say though, that I was the absoulte WORST at Schindler's List. Over other movies, I shed a few tears, get misty, etc. But I cried for three hours (literally) after watching Schindler's. The scene where he (Oskar) cries.."I could have saved one more..." to this day, that scene kills me.

I also have to say that some of those stories in the Chicken Soup books, although cheesy, are pretty sad.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
But I cried for three hours (literally) after watching Schindler's. The scene where he (Oskar) cries.."I could have saved one more..." to this day, that scene kills me.

YES! That was the exact scene I was thinking about when I mentioned Schindler's List. That part just kills me.

I have been moved very often by scenes in a movie and witnessed things in reality that are heart-breaking and can make you so sad...but I'd rather focus on a moving memory.
When I was a kid, I'd had a lovely late afternoon swim and just as I left the water, the sun was setting due west of me and the moon was rising due east, I had this great sense of place. I felt good and I was greatly moved.
My friend's little girl Faith Erin( I love that name) had some trouble walking. I don't see her very often. I remember feeling moved when I saw her and realised she could run.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
The scene where he (Oskar) cries.."I could have saved one more..." to this day, that scene kills me.

Oh, yeah, no kidding...I feel so bad for Oskar at that part, I just want to jump through the screen and hug him.

Which reminds me of another sad thing that I've seen before that isn't fictional: every time I see a clip of Eric Clapton performing that song "Tears In Heaven" from his "Unplugged" show...he just looks so sad, and knowing who that song is for, again, I just want to give him a big hug, I feel so sad for him. How he can sing that song and not break down in tears is beyond me...I would be bawling halfway through. He's got some emotional strength there.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
I also have to say that some of those stories in the Chicken Soup books, although cheesy, are pretty sad.

:yes:.

Yep, I've been known to shed a tear or two at some of the stories and poems in those books.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom