What is the best TV show of all time? (any genre)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
So I'm chillin' in the lounge the other day when my buddy Habib comes in and asks me what I think the best TV show ever was.

I say, "Hell, that's a tough question. I'd have to think about that."

He says, "Well, I was talking to my friend about the Simpsons movie, and I said I think it will probably suck. So my friend starts saying 'No way dude, the Simpsons is the best show ever!!!11!lol blah blah blah'. Then we get into a big argument about what the best show ever is."

So I say, "Yeah, that's quite the agument. I don't know though, I'd have to think about this a while."

So I have thought about it a while, and I've come up with an answer.

A lot of the shows I thought of happened to be comedies, because comedies tend to lend themselves best to the episodic structure of the standard television show. But at the same time I thought that some really well done dramas would have to be in contention, because of how difficult it is to maintain a cohesive story-line over several seasons.
I also took into account the standards like direction, acting, writing (extremely important for a TV show), consistancy, production value, and left out things like cultural impact and lasting appeal, becuase I don't think those factors have anything to do with the actually quality of the show, just peoples perception of the show.

So here's a big list of shows I came up with:

Seinfeld - First one I thought of. Best sitcom ever? Possibly.

The X-Files - First consistent-story drama I thought of. One of the finest TV productions of all time. Got a little frakey near the end, but is saved by a stellar finale that tied things up nicely.

South Park - The most intelligent, yet crudest, most offensive, daring, and possibly innovative comedies of all time. Not much else needs to be said about it.

LOST - Can't say right now, but if the next couple seasons wrap this massive storyline up as well as I hope they will, Lost will go down as one of the finest television endeavors of all time. For now, I'm afraid not, but once we have the full picture we shall see.

Firefly - Only lasted one season, but created one of the most loyal following in history. It did so for a reason.

But the NUMBER ONE, all time finest television show I could think of (I haven't seen many of the HBO series unfortunatly, so I might be missing something)...

*drumroll*

group800.jpg

Yes, I believe Arrested Development to be the finest television show I have ever seen. There's so much to say about it that I can't even say much right here. Where would I start? It has the most lovable, quirky, psychologically disturbed, and amazing ensemble cast I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It combines mind-numbingly hilarious comedy with a consistent story-line in a way I've never seen before. The acting, direction, production...all time notch. The writing is this show's shinest achievement though. Mindblowing really. And it's spawned some of the funniest, quirkiest catch-phrases in history.

My favorite: "There's always money in the Banana Stand"

Overall, this is just an amazing show. I've been discovering it on DVD though, and I regret missing it's original airing. Dropping this was FOX's biggest mistake ever. I haven't finished season 3 yet though. I'm very close. But please, no spoilers. :D

Lancemc said:
group800.jpg

Yes, I believe Arrested Development to be the finest television show I have ever seen. There's so much to say about it that I can't even say much right here. Where would I start? It has the most lovable, quirky, psychologically disturbed, and amazing ensemble cast I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It combines mind-numbingly hilarious comedy with a consistent story-line in a way I've never seen before. The acting, direction, production...all time notch. The writing is this show's shinest achievement though. Mindblowing really. And it's spawned some of the funniest, quirkiest catch-phrases in history.

My favorite: "There's always money in the Banana Stand"

Overall, this is just an amazing show. I've been discovering it on DVD though, and I regret missing it's original airing. Dropping this was FOX's biggest mistake ever. I haven't finished season 3 yet though. I'm very close. But please, no spoilers. :D

I :heart: that show... The episode with the Funeral with Job and Buster doing the magic act had me crying so hard with laughter I had to pause the DVD because I couldn't see my TV...

You mentioned HBO series:

Six_Feet_Under.jpg

Six Feet Under is staggeringly good, much darker than AD in it's humor and incredibly well written. Definitely one of my all time faves...

It would have to be :

The X-Files:heart:
arcadia.jpg

Rob and Laura Petrie :wink:

Arrested Development
bluthfamily.jpg

I love both of those shows and think they were a couple of the best shows ever on tv.

Bono's American Wife said:
For me, it would be a 3 way tie between Seinfeld, the Sopranos and Six Feet Under.
Three way tie here, too - only this time between Seinfeld, Buffy and Twin Peaks.

If it's 'of all time' and not just your personal favorite, I don't think you guys are being fair to older shows. There was a lot of great stuff in the past. How about adding some of them or doing an 'all time' list?

Mine, I don't know where to start. I like some pretty weird or obscure stuff, while I dislike popular stuff like "Friends" and "Seinfeld" terribly. So I guess I won't make a list, but it would be all older stuff anyway.

Seriously, all time I love the older stuff so much more...I mean I've made it kind of obvious now that IMO the best show ever was Get Smart, and if I picked a show to be the greatest show EVER it would probably be something else from that time period too, LIke Dick Van Dyke or I love Lucy, two amazing shows.

I can't say of all time, but just to add to the list of all the really great shows everyone's already stated(although I have a hard time putting Buffy on that list:shifty: )...

Taxi
Cheers
Law & Order
Jeffersons
Cosby Show

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!! :rockon:

:wink:

Actually, I agree with the vote for I Love Lucy. That's a classic and still very funny and entertaining 50-odd years later. :up:

St Elsewhere would be on my list. There are far too many, old and newer, to choose. But St Elsewhere was top notch.

All In The Family was a good one too, and MASH

Right now it would be a tie between The West Wing and The Sopranos but they are also freshest in my mind. I absolutely loved Six Feet Under and thought that was my favorite until I started watching the West Wing on DVD. While I personally loved SFU, I don't know that it was as consistently good as WW (or at least the first 4 seasons of WW--I'm on season 5 right now and the writing without Sorkin is so bad it nearly makes me cry. CRY, I tell you).

Then there's Seinfeld which was brilliant at the time.

Here's one for Zoo Confessionals: I have never seen an entire episode of The Simpsons. Ever. And I have no idea why except that my attention span for cartoons is about 5 minutes which everyone finds odd about me. :shrug:

U2Kitten said:
If it's 'of all time' and not just your personal favorite, I don't think you guys are being fair to older shows. There was a lot of great stuff in the past. How about adding some of them or doing an 'all time' list?

Mine, I don't know where to start. I like some pretty weird or obscure stuff, while I dislike popular stuff like "Friends" and "Seinfeld" terribly. So I guess I won't make a list, but it would be all older stuff anyway.

I understand what you're saying, but only a handful of "older shows" still hold up years later.

I have to concur with Arrested Development, it has everything I ever want in a TV series.

I Love Lucy, hands down, end the contest, end the universe.
That show was non-offensive, had classic comedy, a real-time audience and a jump-in appeal (meaning you could start watching at any point and not miss anything significant history, like Seinfeld). It drove pregnant women to eat pickles, increasing the pickle business. Desi Arnaz was one of the first significant minorities on prime-time televsion. Lucy was accused of being Communist during the red scare era, and McCarthy had to back down due to the show's enormous popularity (and a heartfelt speech from Desi).
The problems would resolve within an episode, in a non-offensive, non-political, non-religious, good ole American manner.

There are not enough words for my love for I Love Lucy. There are certain episodes that after watching I will cry from joy. Lucy's birthday, Lucy is pregnant, Lucy misses Little Ricky's birthday.
The Desi-Lucy relationship might have been failing offscreen, but onscreen they were always the happiest couple. :heart:

Also, Arrested Development is the shit.

And Seinfeld. :love:

And after watching a few episodes of The Wonder Year (I haven't seen them in ages), I will have to concur with whoever nominated it up there. Very well written narration. :up:

my personal favorites: curb your enthusiasm, arrested development, house, office, seinfeld, (and lately) 30rock

what i think is actually the best?
Seinfeld.

It incredibly simple and simply hilarious. Doesn't require you to watch them in order (such as AD), doesn't try to be quirky & cute (such as Friends), it's full of annoying characters and situations and it somehow just works. I don't know what it is exactly, but it embodies the little day to day things that either make your day enjoyable or the day from hell. It's smart, witty, and stupid rolled into one.

You can't really say that any one TV show or film is the best of all time, but, you sure can list your favorites of all-time.

For me, The Wire is the best television show of all time. When season 4 ended a few months ago, I was literally saddened, just the best season of TV I've ever seen. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and rent or buy Season 1. You'll be hooked.

Honorable mention:

Seinfeld
Arrested Development
MASH
Hill Street Blues
Simpsons

And, just speaking as a total dork, Star Trek the Next Generation is a show I loved, and still do.

MrsSpringsteen said:
St Elsewhere would be on my list. There are far too many, old and newer, to choose. But St Elsewhere was top notch.

All In The Family was a good one too, and MASH

I never missed St. Elsewhere. I considered making that my user name.

Avengers (Diana Rigg was my first role model. God I wanted
to be Emma Peel)
Tour of Duty
Taxi
Murphy Brown
The Prisoner

BonosSaint said:

I never missed St. Elsewhere. I considered making that my user name.

Avengers (Diana Rigg was my first role model. God I wanted
to be Emma Peel)
Tour of Duty
Taxi
Murphy Brown
The Prisoner

Cannot believe I forgot the Prisoner. Great show!!!

Back
Top Bottom