What is the best TV show of all time? (any genre) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:52 PM
What is the best TV show of all time? (any genre)

So I'm chillin' in the lounge the other day when my buddy Habib comes in and asks me what I think the best TV show ever was.

I say, "Hell, that's a tough question. I'd have to think about that."

He says, "Well, I was talking to my friend about the Simpsons movie, and I said I think it will probably suck. So my friend starts saying 'No way dude, the Simpsons is the best show ever!!!11!lol blah blah blah'. Then we get into a big argument about what the best show ever is."

So I say, "Yeah, that's quite the agument. I don't know though, I'd have to think about this a while."

So I have thought about it a while, and I've come up with an answer.

A lot of the shows I thought of happened to be comedies, because comedies tend to lend themselves best to the episodic structure of the standard television show. But at the same time I thought that some really well done dramas would have to be in contention, because of how difficult it is to maintain a cohesive story-line over several seasons.
I also took into account the standards like direction, acting, writing (extremely important for a TV show), consistancy, production value, and left out things like cultural impact and lasting appeal, becuase I don't think those factors have anything to do with the actually quality of the show, just peoples perception of the show.

So here's a big list of shows I came up with:

Seinfeld - First one I thought of. Best sitcom ever? Possibly.

The X-Files - First consistent-story drama I thought of. One of the finest TV productions of all time. Got a little frakey near the end, but is saved by a stellar finale that tied things up nicely.

South Park - The most intelligent, yet crudest, most offensive, daring, and possibly innovative comedies of all time. Not much else needs to be said about it.

LOST - Can't say right now, but if the next couple seasons wrap this massive storyline up as well as I hope they will, Lost will go down as one of the finest television endeavors of all time. For now, I'm afraid not, but once we have the full picture we shall see.

Firefly - Only lasted one season, but created one of the most loyal following in history. It did so for a reason.

But the NUMBER ONE, all time finest television show I could think of (I haven't seen many of the HBO series unfortunatly, so I might be missing something)...

*drumroll*

Yes, I believe Arrested Development to be the finest television show I have ever seen. There's so much to say about it that I can't even say much right here. Where would I start? It has the most lovable, quirky, psychologically disturbed, and amazing ensemble cast I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It combines mind-numbingly hilarious comedy with a consistent story-line in a way I've never seen before. The acting, direction, production...all time notch. The writing is this show's shinest achievement though. Mindblowing really. And it's spawned some of the funniest, quirkiest catch-phrases in history.

My favorite: "There's always money in the Banana Stand"

Overall, this is just an amazing show. I've been discovering it on DVD though, and I regret missing it's original airing. Dropping this was FOX's biggest mistake ever. I haven't finished season 3 yet though. I'm very close. But please, no spoilers.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Re: What is the best TV show of all time? (any genre)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Yes, I believe Arrested Development to be the finest television show I have ever seen. There's so much to say about it that I can't even say much right here. Where would I start? It has the most lovable, quirky, psychologically disturbed, and amazing ensemble cast I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It combines mind-numbingly hilarious comedy with a consistent story-line in a way I've never seen before. The acting, direction, production...all time notch. The writing is this show's shinest achievement though. Mindblowing really. And it's spawned some of the funniest, quirkiest catch-phrases in history.

My favorite: "There's always money in the Banana Stand"

Overall, this is just an amazing show. I've been discovering it on DVD though, and I regret missing it's original airing. Dropping this was FOX's biggest mistake ever. I haven't finished season 3 yet though. I'm very close. But please, no spoilers.
I that show... The episode with the Funeral with Job and Buster doing the magic act had me crying so hard with laughter I had to pause the DVD because I couldn't see my TV...

You mentioned HBO series:

Six Feet Under is staggeringly good, much darker than AD in it's humor and incredibly well written. Definitely one of my all time faves...

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Friends.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Seinfeld

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 02:52 PM
For me, it would be a 3 way tie between Seinfeld, the Sopranos and Six Feet Under.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
For me, it would be a 3 way tie between Seinfeld, the Sopranos and Six Feet Under.
Sopranos? Six Feet Under??

Traitor.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Refugee

It would have to be :

The X-Files

Rob and Laura Petrie

Arrested Development

I love both of those shows and think they were a couple of the best shows ever on tv.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
Three way tie here, too - only this time between Seinfeld, Buffy and Twin Peaks.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

If it's 'of all time' and not just your personal favorite, I don't think you guys are being fair to older shows. There was a lot of great stuff in the past. How about adding some of them or doing an 'all time' list?

Mine, I don't know where to start. I like some pretty weird or obscure stuff, while I dislike popular stuff like "Friends" and "Seinfeld" terribly. So I guess I won't make a list, but it would be all older stuff anyway.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:52 PM
X-Files!!!, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Shield, Lost, Jericho.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 03:52 PM
SIX FEET UNDER... Best show ever!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

The Wonder Years
Freaks & Geeks
Six Feet Under
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:52 PM
The X-Files
Simon and Simon
Fall Guy
Friend's
Old 04-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Seriously, all time I love the older stuff so much more...I mean I've made it kind of obvious now that IMO the best show ever was Get Smart, and if I picked a show to be the greatest show EVER it would probably be something else from that time period too, LIke Dick Van Dyke or I love Lucy, two amazing shows.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:52 PM
I can't say of all time, but just to add to the list of all the really great shows everyone's already stated(although I have a hard time putting Buffy on that list )...

Taxi
Cheers
Law & Order
Jeffersons
Cosby Show