What is the appropriate response to "hey, what's up/happening?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
This will sound like a very stupid question, but I will ask anyway, since I got such interesting responses to the :| smilie question.

When someone (usually a guy) says to you, "hey, what's up?" or "hey, what's happening?"

Is this just code for "hi how are you" so you just say "hey" back, or should you actually answer about what you've been up to/what is happening?

I always answer the question in full detail, but maybe that is incredibly nerdy. :reject:

I always just say 'not much' no matter what i've been up to. Sometimes small talk is annoying because i always feel so uncomfortable.....I'm not really sure why.
god i'm a right boring guy! :(

:p

Desert_Sky said:
I always just say 'not much' no matter what i've been up to. Sometimes small talk is annoying because i always feel so uncomfortable.....I'm not really sure why.

Me too. I hate small talk. :reject:

meegannie said:

Me too. I hate small talk. :reject:

*phew*
i'm not the only one then! hehe.

after the xmas holidays everyone always asked 'how was your xmas, how was your new year' and i know its polite, cus i have asked it myself, but i always answered 'the usual' because it was teh usual, so i started to anwer 'pretty crap actually' to some people cus it was more interesting! haha.
I obviouslsy did this to 'acquantances', and basically to people i don't really speak to much.

OK i'm not a freak i promise ;)

:mac:

Mrs. Edge said:
Is this just code for "hi how are you" so you just say "hey" back, or should you actually answer about what you've been up to/what is happening?

I think it is code for "I find you attractive, please start talking to me...."

"How are you?" also bothers me.. unless it comes from family.
They dont really want to know how you're doing. They dont want to sit there for 10 minutes while you tell them how much your life sucks :lol: Its always just "Good how are you?" :yawn:

Small talk :down:

I say "not much, how about you?" if someone asks me what's up.. if they ask how I am I just say "good, you?" or something like that :yawn:

i'm boring too...i answer every time the exact same way..."hey..nothing much..you?"

the worst is when you're walking down the path to or from class and you see someone going the opposite way and they say that...hmm...like i can describe the current state of my life in the 3.7 seconds it takes to pass you...:rolleyes:

yeah, I usually just say "not much" or if I'm having a bad day I might :rant: and then they kind of have this surprised look on their face, like they wish they hadn't asked (I usually do this to a co-worker or an acquaintance) :lol:

and a similar question that I hate, is when someone calls you on the phone and instead of saying "hi, how are you?", they say something like "hey, whatcha doing?" like it's really any of their business what I'm doing :angry: I might be watching tv, doing laundry, on the computer, taking a nap, etc...I'm supposed to tell them exactly what I'm doing? :rolleyes:

I usually reply with,

I like the color navy blue, jalapenos, Orange Fanta and squishy things, would you like to shower with me?

When you ask somebody, "What's up?" the most annoying answer is the sarcastic, "The sky."

I usually just say, "Nothing much." OR...if I don't like the person...I suddenly pour out all of my problems very rapidly, ensuring that they will never ask me "What's up?" ever again.

"Hey what's up?"
-"Not so much"
"Ah, I see."
-"Yes."
"Well, bye..."
-"Yes, bye..."

:yawn: Small talk...

I always treated it separate from "How are you"

Eg: "Hey, what's up?"
"Nothing much. u?"
"Ah, same. How are you?"
"Not bad. What about you?"
"Okay. How was the weekend?"

And on and on and on. Small talk. Gives me chills.

:laugh: I am glad I posted this, I knew it would be a funny thread! And I'm glad I haven't committed a huge faux pas by actually answering the question in detail every time!

Oh, and nbcrusader, that's very encouraging, thanks! :D

When I do things like greeting and what not. I leave it simple and usually just say 'Sup? or 'Sup yo? short for what's up.

i think you're supposed to say "not much, you?"

i either forget the "you" part altogether or say "and yourself" causing them to laugh at me for sounding like a dork

Stories for Boys said:
the worst is when you're walking down the path to or from class and you see someone going the opposite way and they say that...hmm...like i can describe the current state of my life in the 3.7 seconds it takes to pass you...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Lame small talk like that is annoying.

I usually just respond with "not much...what's up with you?" Then the other person will answer "not much" or something similar, and we'll be on our separate ways.

Back
Top Bottom