what is more important to you in a song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do lyrics or music matter most to you?

• lyrics catch my attention right away

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I have to love the music to love a song

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • it depends on the song really

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
I think for me it would be a mixture of both. The music would probably make me take notice of the song in the first place but I do get drawn in to songs with excellent lyrics.
I suppose I would have to say music because that is what draws my attention to a song, plus I do listen to music that has no lyrics.

Thats tough
Its easier for me to like a song with below average music but great lyrics than a song with great music a shitty shitty lyrics.

definately depends on the song
if the songs rocks really hard the lyrics just have to sound good

hmmm. It's both, I guess, but the music does have to be interesting. Then again, great music and shit lyrics...don't really GET me either. :huh: I do know that when I got into U2 it was because it seemed the sublime marriage of music I loved and lyrics that made me think. :D

For me it has to be lyrics. :yes: Without the lyrics the entire song doesn't work for me - no matter how good the music might be......

depends.....but i think that the lyrics are what makes an excellent song excellent.....i mean, the music has to be there, but look at songs like running to stand still or mlk......the music is good, but very simplistic......it's all about the lyrics........and i :heart: both of those songs.....

[edit] or look at promenade [/edit]

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just shallow but I'm very surprised that the lyrics are beating out the music. I mean, it's called "music." I'd rather listen to something with great music and dorky lyrics than I would to Bob Dylan. In any case, the best lyrics--even Bono at his best--don't really compare to the best poetry by the best poets, IMHO.

It's both, but definately moreso music. I mean... beethoven, mozart? all instrumental. So much music is instrumental, that's what music is. The lyrics enhance music, but some of my favourite songs could easily have different lyrics and I'd still love 'em as much. There's a few songs where I'm drawn moreso by the lyrics (The Weakerthans for ex) because they're just soo amazing... but the lyrics are still always complementing the music.

If U2 had the same lyrics, and kinda lame music, I can't see liking them nearly as much. It's the music that forms that classic crescendo at the beginning of streets.

That's really what draws me to a song much more than the lyrics. I hear a song on the radio I'm not listening intently to the lyrics, I'm listening to the mood and the music for sure. There's a lot of songs I love where I haven't really paid that much attention to the lyrics.

Last edited:
While I think its a little bit of both... Lyrics are more important to me personally... I like music that has soul to it, but not just a bunch of pandery to teens/pre-teens. Generally speaking, if I can find myself believing the messages of a song, relating to them on a personal level, or admiring their artistic value, then its good - if not, then usually Im turned away from the song. An example of where this doesnt work is this song; Push, by matchbox 20. While Im not a big fan of matchbox 20, I like the tune of this song, and the first 15 seconds of lyrics, "She said I don't know if I've ever been good enough / I'm a little bit rusty / and I think my head is caving in""And I don't know if I've ever been really loved /
By a hand that's touched me / well I feel like something's gonna give / And I'm a little bit angry" - this exhibits great lyrics, but the chorus of the song just turns me away, while I think it fits the theme, it just doesnt have the right feel to it... but since I didnt write the song, Im not really the one who gets the say on that. LOL

Well.... obviously it's all about the music, but if I have to choose one I'd chose lyrics simply because that gives the song soul. Crap lyrics really turn me off. I don't mind simple, frivolous lyrics about sex, love whatever, but really cheesy lyrics turn me off. Case and point.... Travis's "The Invisible Band" is a great album.... but the lyrics IMO keep it from being an amazing album.

Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics.

lyrics for me.

i think this is an interesting poll to put on this board because u2 really has both. but what keeps me coming back everytime is the chance to find a new deeper layer in the lyrics....then fins something hidden in the music (an arpeggio or something) to compliment it.

probably music..I have to go down the same road as Skeek went..some of my favourite songs are instrumentals..when isolated from any vocal arrangments it can still move and inspire you on the same levels..music is usually the first thing that draws me to a song and normally afterwards I look at how the lyrics compliment the music..~..

I guess I would agree though that a song probably won't be truly "great" if the music is great but the lyrics stink. You have a really great song if the lyrics and the music kind of compliment each other and open each other up. But look at a song like Streets. The lyrics most certainly do not stink--there are some good lines in there. But I don't think it's one of Bono's best lyrics by a long shot. "I want to run, I want to hide" isn't very profound. It's just that when you have them with that guitar, sung in that way...

Back
Top Bottom