What is love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball2606

The Fly
What is Love?? My sophomore class is just starting romeo and juliet and we recieved an essay assignment to address the topic: "What is Love?"

I know what I'm going to write about (actually it's already written and due thursday, yes i know i'm a COA)
i was thinking, 'hey, what a good topic for interference. to see people's original thoughts on what is love.'

go ahead rip off other people's stuff if that's how you feel, but i was wondering what people, many of which are older and wiser :wink: think about this?

so i ask you all,
"What is Love?"

peace, toner

**redi-whip is my drug...**

I think it's impossible to define it, so I really glad I don't have that assignment. :wink:

I think that people need to say "I love you" more often though. People claim that that phrase is tossed around too much, but I don't think it's used enough. I say "I love you" to those who are close to me...end my phone calls with it...say goodbye with it. People so often think of love as just being between two significant others, but that is just one kind of love.

I have tons of love for so many people.

Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
Love does not demand its own way.
Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.
It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

:yes:

I see you have read Chap 13 of 1st of Corinthians :wave:

As for myself I could go on forever.
Love pulls you in every direction. It's a contradiction. It is the most exhilirating joy one minute and your deepest sorrow the next. Love is what we do not understand; love needs no explanation. Love is what you feel when you can?t feel anything else. Love makes you do crazy things. Love makes you feel alive. Love is irreplaceable. Love doesn't ask for permission. Love cannot be forced upon, love does not need to be forced upon. Love makes you forget everything else?sometimes including yourself. Love can make you beg for the smallest things. Love must more often than not end in heartbreak...

Love is blindness.

*sigh*

Last edited:
how much I adore (and have spent) U2, now that is love, baby!!!!!:wink:

no seriously, I remember when I first saw a rendition of Romeo and Juliet I thought that it was a great definition of love. To be that in love with someone where you would rather not live than be without them, well I could only wish to be that in love with someone and most importantly for it to be reciprocated.........

three words I think sums it up to me,

love is subjective
:)

Love is dashing out to the shops in the night to buy your pregnant wife plums because she needs plums NOW.

Love is teaching your child how to play Pat A Cake over and over and over despite the fact the child does not have the coordination to play.

Last edited:
to love is the easiest thing ever

to be in love can be the hardest thing ever

to make love can be the most beautiful thing ever

love is accepting another persons beauty
and accepting your own beauty through someone else

Oh Salome, I like that :up:

Well if the ole Corinthian wedding reading is going to be quoted we may as well throw in a non Christian wedding reading as well.

By Kahlil Gibran from The Prophet

You were born together,
and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the white
wings of death scatter your days.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another,
but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between
the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous,
But let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone
Though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow
not in each other's shadow

(The bold bit is my favourite bit)

Last edited:
Oh Beli that is beautiful! :up: I've heard those last 2 lines before but not the entire thing. Very beautiful.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Love pulls you in every direction. It's a contradiction. It is the most exhilirating joy one minute and your deepest sorrow the next. Love is what we do not understand; love needs no explanation.

I really have to agree with BrownEyedBoy here. :up:

To me Love is the most beautiful and responsible thing a person can have in his or her life. Everyone's stated it very eloquently here, so I'll just keep agreeing rather than add my fumbling thoughts. :)

Actually I'll throw in the last stanza of one of Maya Angelou's poems:

"Love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free."

-Maya Angelou

Last edited:
wow, i love all the responses.
i wrote about my theory of emotions and love being an emotion, possibly the strongest (or one of the strongest anyway). and i went into my details about how emotion is pain. whether it is the best emotion it inevitably cause pain (and i don't necessarily mean pain in a bad sense)

that's what it is to me
love is pain
love is blindness
love is sorry
love is bliss
and yes, love is bigger than us

peace, toner

my paper??

i think that after i edit and finish my love paper, i'll post it on here. i mention you all in itit.

Before writing this essay, I did a little experiment, moreover, a survey if you will. On www.interference.com, a U2 forum site, I posted the assignment and asked others the question, ?What is Love?? There were many different reactions. (To see the reactions go to http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90267). I didn?t expect anyone to answer in the same manner.

The views expressed in the following essay are what i think...please don't flame me... :( :uhoh:

Love is...
Before writing this essay, I did a little experiment, moreover, a survey if you will. On www.interference.com, a U2 forum site, I posted the assignment and asked others the question, ?What is Love?? There were many different reactions. (To see the reactions go to http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90267). I didn?t expect anyone to answer in the same manner. It?s hard for me to describe what love is, or even what love means to me. The easiest way for me to do it is through other people?s words and then elaborate on them. Through my search for good music I have found the following lyrics/titles to songs that I have found appropriate to elaborate upon.
?Love is hell.? -Ryan Adams, Love is Hell
?Love is blindness.? - U2, From Love is Blindness
?Love is a temple.? - U2, One.
?Love is bigger than us.? - U2, Please.
Love is hell. Sorry for the ?swearing.? Ryan Adams puts it best by saying that, well, love is hell. In this he supports my theory of human emotions. Here is the main points of it: Love is a human emotion. It is nothing more than an emotion, yet it is a strong one. Emotions inevitably cause mental pain. No matter how good the emotion may be, pain is the outcome. It hurts when you?re happy, so much that people cry. Same with love. In this sense, pain does not have to be a bad thing, either. Love is pain, love is hell.
From U2?s 1992 album, Achtung Baby, comes the song ?Love is Blindness.? I believe in saying that love is blind simply means that when you are in love it clouds your judgment. It makes you do crazy things that you normally wouldn?t do, but for the sake of love you go blind in your life. Either that, or it could mean that love has no face. You can?t see love, you can only feel it. Love is not a person?s face or their body (stupid lustful groping freshmen, anyway), it is a feeling.
Love needs to be cherished. You must savor the pains of love. Every kind of love has to have a special place in your brain (not in your heart because the heart is an organ of the circulatory system and the brain controls your thoughts, memories, and emotions). Love for family, love for a significant other, love for friends, love for human kind. Of course, there is another U2 lyric. Did you think there was no more? From the classic U2 song, One, comes the lyrics, ?Love is a temple/Love the higher law.? Love is sacred. Cherish love. Share it. ?One love/We get to share it/It leaves you baby/If you don?t care for it.? Love has to be kept.
A great passion in many of U2?s songs is the message for the people of Ireland to get over their bitter religious and political wars. The song, Please, is a cry from the band. The lyric, I?m using to describe what I believe is love captures just what U2 thinks about The Troubles in Ireland. By the line, ?Love is bigger than us,? the band is simply stating that love cannot be self-righteous and for yourself. ?Love is big/And love is tough/But love is not/what you?re thinking of.? Here is my opinion. Love is not for you to keep selfishly, but to share with everyone.
By my using of quotations for my thoughts on love, don?t think for a second that I can not think for myself. The songs I chose were a small sampling of what I think is love. Love is pain. Love is hell. Love is bliss. Love is bigger than us. Love is tough. Love is annihilation. Love is a temple. Love is me, love is you, love is all of the human race. Everyone is capable of love, or at least the thought of it. What is love?

peace, toner

I really liked these quotes about love: (from the movies, but still...kind of sums it up well IMO, if it's romantic kind of love we're talking about)

"You complete me." - from Jerry Maguire

"I like you just the way you are." - Bridget Jones' diary

I have three ideas about love...

1) No one has quoted John Lennon's song "Love":
"Love is real
Real is love
Love is feeling...
Feeling Love"

There's more to it than that, but it might give you some ideas as to what "love" is.

2) Here's another quote from the 1970's. There was a movie called "Love Story" and the line, while well-known in baby-boom circles, isn't familiar to most people under the age of 30. As the Ali McGraw is on her deathbed, her lover says something to the effect of "I love you...I'm sorry". She replies with the line, "Love is never having to say you're sorry."

I guess if you truly love someone, you'll never do anything to that person that would warrant an apology in the future. Ohh...how romantic!

3) "All You Need is Love"...once again from Lennon

I disagree with love is never having to say you're sorry. You can love someone but you're not perfect. You will mess up inevitably at some point. If anything, love is not being too proud to say you're sorry.

Back
Top Bottom