What is love? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:21 PM
I really can't tell you what it is but I definitely know how it feels; everyday I am immersed in it...good luck with your project!

Old 04-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 07:21 PM
wow, i love all the responses.
i wrote about my theory of emotions and love being an emotion, possibly the strongest (or one of the strongest anyway). and i went into my details about how emotion is pain. whether it is the best emotion it inevitably cause pain (and i don't necessarily mean pain in a bad sense)

that's what it is to me
love is pain
love is blindness
love is sorry
love is bliss
and yes, love is bigger than us

peace, toner

Old 04-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 01:21 AM
I think love is when you care as much or more for someone than you do for yourself.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
By Kahlil Gibran from The Prophet
excellent book
Old 04-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #20
The Fly

my paper??

i think that after i edit and finish my love paper, i'll post it on here. i mention you all in itit.

Before writing this essay, I did a little experiment, moreover, a survey if you will. On www.interference.com, a U2 forum site, I posted the assignment and asked others the question, “What is Love?” There were many different reactions. (To see the reactions go to http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=90267). I didn’t expect anyone to answer in the same manner.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #21
The Fly

The views expressed in the following essay are what i think...please don't flame me...

Love is...
Before writing this essay, I did a little experiment, moreover, a survey if you will. On www.interference.com, a U2 forum site, I posted the assignment and asked others the question, “What is Love?” There were many different reactions. (To see the reactions go to http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=90267). I didn’t expect anyone to answer in the same manner. It’s hard for me to describe what love is, or even what love means to me. The easiest way for me to do it is through other people’s words and then elaborate on them. Through my search for good music I have found the following lyrics/titles to songs that I have found appropriate to elaborate upon.
“Love is hell.” -Ryan Adams, Love is Hell
“Love is blindness.” - U2, From Love is Blindness
“Love is a temple.” - U2, One.
“Love is bigger than us.” - U2, Please.
Love is hell. Sorry for the “swearing.” Ryan Adams puts it best by saying that, well, love is hell. In this he supports my theory of human emotions. Here is the main points of it: Love is a human emotion. It is nothing more than an emotion, yet it is a strong one. Emotions inevitably cause mental pain. No matter how good the emotion may be, pain is the outcome. It hurts when you’re happy, so much that people cry. Same with love. In this sense, pain does not have to be a bad thing, either. Love is pain, love is hell.
From U2’s 1992 album, Achtung Baby, comes the song “Love is Blindness.” I believe in saying that love is blind simply means that when you are in love it clouds your judgment. It makes you do crazy things that you normally wouldn’t do, but for the sake of love you go blind in your life. Either that, or it could mean that love has no face. You can’t see love, you can only feel it. Love is not a person’s face or their body (stupid lustful groping freshmen, anyway), it is a feeling.
Love needs to be cherished. You must savor the pains of love. Every kind of love has to have a special place in your brain (not in your heart because the heart is an organ of the circulatory system and the brain controls your thoughts, memories, and emotions). Love for family, love for a significant other, love for friends, love for human kind. Of course, there is another U2 lyric. Did you think there was no more? From the classic U2 song, One, comes the lyrics, “Love is a temple/Love the higher law.” Love is sacred. Cherish love. Share it. “One love/We get to share it/It leaves you baby/If you don‘t care for it.” Love has to be kept.
A great passion in many of U2’s songs is the message for the people of Ireland to get over their bitter religious and political wars. The song, Please, is a cry from the band. The lyric, I’m using to describe what I believe is love captures just what U2 thinks about The Troubles in Ireland. By the line, “Love is bigger than us,” the band is simply stating that love cannot be self-righteous and for yourself. “Love is big/And love is tough/But love is not/what you’re thinking of.” Here is my opinion. Love is not for you to keep selfishly, but to share with everyone.
By my using of quotations for my thoughts on love, don’t think for a second that I can not think for myself. The songs I chose were a small sampling of what I think is love. Love is pain. Love is hell. Love is bliss. Love is bigger than us. Love is tough. Love is annihilation. Love is a temple. Love is me, love is you, love is all of the human race. Everyone is capable of love, or at least the thought of it. What is love?

peace, toner
Old 04-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 01:21 AM
I think that love rocks and if you manage to find it, you're a very lucky person. xx
Old 04-08-2004, 06:58 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

oh, oops. i thought this was a "night at the roxbury" thread.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Old 04-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Love Hurts ( Gram Parsons with Emmylou Harris)
Old 04-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 AM
I really liked these quotes about love: (from the movies, but still...kind of sums it up well IMO, if it's romantic kind of love we're talking about)

"You complete me." - from Jerry Maguire

"I like you just the way you are." - Bridget Jones' diary
Old 04-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #27
Refugee

I have three ideas about love...

1) No one has quoted John Lennon's song "Love":
"Love is real
Real is love
Love is feeling...
Feeling Love"

There's more to it than that, but it might give you some ideas as to what "love" is.

2) Here's another quote from the 1970's. There was a movie called "Love Story" and the line, while well-known in baby-boom circles, isn't familiar to most people under the age of 30. As the Ali McGraw is on her deathbed, her lover says something to the effect of "I love you...I'm sorry". She replies with the line, "Love is never having to say you're sorry."

I guess if you truly love someone, you'll never do anything to that person that would warrant an apology in the future. Ohh...how romantic!

3) "All You Need is Love"...once again from Lennon
Old 04-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I disagree with love is never having to say you're sorry. You can love someone but you're not perfect. You will mess up inevitably at some point. If anything, love is not being too proud to say you're sorry.