What is Classic Beauty? Your thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
The other week I was chatting to someone who reckoned they knew exactly what "Classic Beauty" was.

In fact they had strong opinions on everything, and if I didn't share the exact same thinking process as they did, I was considered uninteresting and pedantic.

I curiously I asked for some examples, so they span off about half a dosen caucasian female celebrities relevant to the past 20 years.

When I pointed out this fact, they also threw in "Lucy Lu" as a non caucasian example.

This got me wondering:

What is Classic Beauty?

Is there a definition of Classic Beauty? Is it only limited to females? Does an invidiual need to possess certain characteristics and features to be considered Classically Beautiful? And if so, who and where was this determined?

Or is it merely an individual's opinion?
Ie Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Re: Your thoughts...

JimmyChicken said:
In fact they had strong opinions on everything, and if I didn't share the exact same thinking process as they did, I was considered uninteresting and pedantic.

icon5.gif
was it.........Zoomerang96.
icon5.gif

Actually they've done cross-cultural studies relating to beauty, and more specifically the female and male body proportions. It was found that across culture and time, the relative appearance of people that is deemed as attractive (in societal terms) has not changed much.

So Classic Beauty is probably the same as modern beauty... although the parameters are slightly different in multiples, there still exists the same degree of proportion in terms of appeal.

long straight dark brown hair.

either light eyes, or dark brown eyes.

dark-ish skin.

to me is classic beauty

:drool:

In the immortal words of Sir Mix-A-Lot:

24-36-24? Nah...

Only if she's 5'1"

:sexywink:

ouizy said:
who is that drummer, and wht is his right hand not moving?

Seriously dude? Come on... I thought your powers of deduction could have seen the Led Zeppelin.com Logo and put two and two together (no Radiohead jokes please :sexywink:)... it's Bonham... Bonzo. As for his right hand... it's a drum loop video, and I think it's from Moby Dick... so he's just getting into showing off his ambidexterity.

The true Classic Beauty if there ever was one.

:yes:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
classic beauty is pamela anderson

Chizip, I think you may have mistaken that with "plastic" beauty.

I don't really have a definition of "classic beauty" but I've heard Candice Bergen and Cybil Shepherd referred to as "classic beauties" quite a few times. Actually, come to think of it, they are the only people to which i've heard that phrase attached.

Maybe it means blonde hair, blue eyed, skinny nosed, long necked, small chinned people. :shrug:

Maureen O'Hara......

My wife knows it too. I have the hots for Maureen O'Hara.

Not to sound conceited, but a hairstylist actually called me a Classic Beauty once. :shrug: I see myself more as a Classic Average, and many days a Classic Ugly but that's just me. :laugh:

I think a classic beauty is someone along the lines of Princess Diana, Princess Grace. My sister says Julia Roberts and Charlize Theron, my mom agrees with the princesses and adds Catherine Zeta Jones. My mom and sister say "People who are considered beautiful, but when you break down their looks are actually kind of ordinary and plain--and yet everyone agrees they are beautiful." Does that make sense?

I've been referred to as several "classic" things...but "beauty" isn't one of them. ;)

Everybody I know is beautiful in some way. I don't think a classic beauty exists. We all see things differently.

Personally I think Ali is a 'Classic Beauty'. She usually looks like she has hardly any makeup on but she still looks stunning.

classic beauty?

dennis bergkamp's goal against argentina in the '98 world cup.

edit: when we say beauty, what exactly do we mean? do we mean outward appearances, inward emotions, or something else? it applies to anything. and for now, it'd be bergy's fabulous first time touch from a long ball, another great touch to take it past one argentine defender and his unbeatable stab into the far post.

Last edited:
Interesting thread :up:

Beauty is definitely so subjective, and in the eye of the beholder. When I think of classic beauty, I think of beauty that is timeless-not trendy. I think of Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Ava Gardner. More modern day picks for me would be Princess Diana, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Catherine Zeta Jones.

Without a doubt, it should also be all about what's in your heart.

And men should also be considered classic beauties-let's face it, there are men who are just beautiful. :wink:

Originally posted by AvsGirl41

My mom and sister say "People who are considered beautiful, but when you break down their looks are actually kind of ordinary and plain--and yet everyone agrees they are beautiful." Does that make sense?

I think so. Sometimes I notice when I look closely at pictures of beautiful people, their looks don't seem to be so much of a big deal. Its not like they have these unusual or outstanding features, their features are just normal compared to everyone else. I guess what it is that makes them beautiful is that their features are symmetrical, you know, it all fits together, everything lines up perfectly, and that makes them stunning. I guess that's what it means to be a classic beauty then.

I also think it means someone who is good-looking, knows it, but isn't so overly conscious of it. There are some people who are gorgeous, but they're downright concieted about it, and it ruins how they look. A classic beauty to me is someone who is stunning -with all symmetrical features - knows it, but doesn't use it to their advantage.

Perle

Last edited:
What it is, I certainly don't have it. It pisses me off, because the people who DO have it, don't realize how much easier their lives are because of it. :mad:

I hate this thread, because it reminds me of what I haven't got.

---Thanks

Judy Holliday

jhallure.jpg

A classic Hollywood "dumb blonde" with a 175 IQ, who, unfortunately, died of breast cancer at 44.

Madonna claimed that Holliday was her "favorite actress" in a 1987 interview. See any resemblance?

Anyway, it's her birthday today. She would have been 83!

Melon

Last edited:
I once spoke to a model. "Beauty" is 25% genetics and 75% makeup / photo enhancement.

Melon

My perspective is that there are two ways of looking at 'classical' beauty. One is that it represents a timeless ideal of beauty, closely tied to the traditions of the great painters and so on. Or more recently, film and fashion. My way of looking at it is that classical beauty is basically 'perfection'. I find perfection awfully boring and devoid of interest (not to mention more than a little creepy). This may be why some people find images of 'beautiful' people somewhat unexceptional on closer inspection.

I don't believe the modern eye is really geared towards classical beauty. We live in different times and like a lot of old ideas it just doesn't really wash anymore. I guess I would just define physical beauty in different ways (let's face it we are talking about the physical here).

Yes. I too think of Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Vivien Leigh and Marylin Monroe (etc of all the beautiful actresses back in those days! :yes:..) when I think of Classical Beauties....

but in today's world I see more of 'Unusual Beauties' because I think 'Classical Beauties' belongs to those famous earlier actresses for that era.............and should not be brought into today's era........so 'Unsual' it is, and that would be Liv Tyler, Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett.............etc. - many many of who I look at and see just pure unusual beauty!

:D

superficially?symmetry..it pleases the eye.
spiritually? honesty..it pleases the heart.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
classic beauty has to do with being natural with appearance and with how they carry themselves. you can usually spot a person with class across the room simply by the way they carry themselves, it doesn't matter on skin color, hair type, eye color, voice.

:yes: :up:

Back
Top Bottom